*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1627969-Road-to-Normality
by Dub
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Young Adult · #1627969
eighteen year old Brent Alderton takes all the money he's saved and leaves unexpectedly.
Chapter one











Brent Alderton Sighs as the seconds tick towards the end of his last working day at his local video-store. “just 45 more minutes...” he thinks, twiddling his thumbs. As he watches people browse, he begins to think about what he's going to have to do when he goes home for the last time. Brent's parents work at home, and he hasn't told him hes leaving.





After renting out several shitty movies, a few good ones and one porno to a middle aged man that is very secretive about it, Brent shakes the managers hand and walks out the door with a grin on his face that fades quickly as He walks to his car, a 1998 light blue Mercury Marquis, that any person under the age of 30 has called a “granny car”. oddly enough, it was given to him by his grandmother when she got a new model. Of course he was extremely grateful for receiving such a vehicle, but knowing the time hes going to be spending in it in the near future makes him a bit bitter. He gets in, fastens is seat belt, and takes the 3 minute drive back to his house. He arrives and walks into the house going straight to his room and begins to pack a duffel bag of clothes, his toothbrush, and deodorant. When finished, he walks to his closet and grabs his backpack. Heads to his bookshelf and does the hardest thing he's done all day, picking the 10 or so books that will fit.





After he finishes his packing he takes all the bags to his car and puts them in the trunk. He walks back up to his house knowing he can put off telling his parents no longer, as there's nothing left to put it off with. He walks to the office area of the house, knowing that's where he will find both of his parents. As he walks though the door his father is on the phone and his mother looks up at him and smiles. He pulls up a chair as he waits for his father to finish his call and his mothers smile turns into curiosity. He sits there uncomfortably for several minutes as he waits for his father to hang up the phone.





“we need to talk...” he says when his father hangs up the phone, they both look up alarmed. This isn't something Brent usually does. He leaves them alone and they leave him alone for the most part. They both get up and walk over to the couch and sit down. He turns the chair he's sitting in around to face them and his mother says “we're listening.” Brent clears his throat and decides to just say it straight out, no reason to beat around the bush he thinks, his bags are already packed and in the car for crying out loud. “I'm Leaving.” he says. “What?” his father says with confusion. “I'm leaving.” he says again, “My bags are packed and In my car. I don't know where I'm going but somewhere out of Texas.” “what?” his mother says again with more alarm. “why?” his father says “what about your job!” And your friends...” his mother adds. “What friends?” Brent says with some agitation, she knew he didn't have any real friends. She was about to mention some people Brent knew but she saw his expression and thought better of it. She could not win this argument and she knew it. “and I gave my 2 weeks notice.. 2 weeks ago. I just.. It didn't feel right to tell you both until now.”



“But you don't have any money.” his father says. “I have $1650 dollars saved up.” says Brent “Where did you get all that money?” his father says. “I've been working at the video-store for 3 years dad.. I've been saving part of my money.” says Brent. “But where will you go?” his mother says. Brent answers with some agitation in his voice, he's already said this. “I'm not sure.. but away from this town and probably out of the state. I'll find a job.” “why?” his mother says again. Brent sighs knowing he won't avoid this question twice. “Mom, I need to do this. I'll keep in touch.” he says. As his mother begins to cry he walks over and hugs her once, pulling away quickly, and is out the door without another thought.





The feeling of excitement as he drives away from the house hes lived in for most of his life is so amazing he can't help but grin as he rolls down just the drivers side window because the passenger side doesn't work, and enjoys the air in his face on his first day on the road.





























Chapter Two















Several hours later, Brent saw the lights of a small town. As he got closer he saw a rickety sign that said Clayton, New Mexico. He yawned and decided it was time to stop. As he drove through the town he saw a motel and pulled in. “The Clayton Inn” he said sarcastically to himself as he grabbed his coat and got out of the car. After he got a room he walked back out to his car, popped the trunk slung his backpack over one arm and grabbed his duffel bag. he made the short walk to his room. Walking up one flight of rusted metal stairs to room 217. he slid the key into the slot and turned. Slightly surprised when the door actually unlocked. Although he wasn't sure why. He walked in flipped the light on and closed the door. One queen sized bed, a night table with a lamp and an alarm clock. A small couch, And a TV that looked straight out of the seventies.



Five minutes later he was on his way down the same stairs he had taken to get to his room, in pursuit of food. He passed his car in the parking lot and walked across the street to dennys. He walked in, secured

a table, and picked up the menu. “senior, eating at Denny's for diner alone at 10:30” “that's kind of sad.” I looked up. The voice had come from a waitress. Close to his age, 5'6 or so, cute, with long sandy blonde hair in a french braid. “Ain't it just?” he said. A bit of his Texan accent coming through because of his nerves. She just stared. “well, what do ya want?” she said. Slightly rudely. “Uhhm.. a cheeseburger, fries and a sprite.” he said. She scribbled on her pad for a few seconds and then said “k” and walked away. While he was waiting for his food he flipped open his phone seeing 5 missed calls, and 5 voice mail messages all from his mother. He rolled his eyes and hit redial. It rang and went to voice mail. He hung up. 'I should have known better' he thought. 'she never picks up her phone.' he called his dad instead. He picked up on the 2nd ring. “hello?” he said “hey dad..”I replied. “oh.. how.. are you son?” “I'm fine dad. Mom called me, like 7 times” he said jokingly. “I just wanted to check in and tell y'all I'm fine.” “That's good. Your mother was worried.” he said. “well.. okay. Anyways I have to go, I'll talk to you later dad.” “Oh.. Okay, be safe son.” “will do. Bye”

“bye.” he hung up as a plate with a burger, no cheese, and onion rings was placed in front of him.

He looked up at her and said “uhhm thanks.”he said not really caring or wanting to cause trouble. She rolled her eyes and walked away. Cute, he thought of her again, but kind of a bitch. Twenty minutes and one mediocre meal later, he paid for his food and walked out. back in his room, he decided to call it an early night. He pulled his jeans and T-shirt off and got and got in bed with the hard mattress in his boxers. He drifted off, thinking of the long day of driving he'll have the next day.





















Chapter Three













He awoke, abruptly. At first he wasn't sure what had woken him, but then he heard it again. A girl yelling. He couldn't make out the words so he got up, pulled on his jeans and opened the door. He could make out some of the words, now but he couldn't see anything. They were right below him by the doors on the first floor. He slowly descended the stairs as he heard a few words “asshole!” “no!” “idiot!” when he hit the last step he could see them. A girl yelling at a guy. Not just any girl. The waitress from the diner last night. “I can't believe you Jason!” she said “It's just a little cocaine, it's no big deal, let's just have fun” the man said as he pushed her against a wall and groped her. “get off!” she said as she tried to push him off, but he wasn't moving. She slapped him hard “Ahh! He screamed out. “You bitch!” he said and pushed her hard. She stumbled, then fell down three steps and cried out” “Hey!” I yelled over Jason turned around to look at me. “mind your own fucking business.” he said to me and turned to walk towards her. I walked over and said “hey” as I grabbed his shoulder to pull him off. He turned and through a punch I wasn't expecting but still managed to dodge. I punched him right in the nose and he fell down. He got up and thought about coming back to fight me, but decided against it. “whatever, bitch” he spit blood out of his mouth onto the pavement. “you're not worth it.” he got in his car and drove away. I turned back to the girl. “you OK?” I said. “my ankle” she said “can you walk?” I said. She put some weight on, said “ug” it and immediately took it back off. “that would be a no..” she said. “I'll just..” I cut her off by by leaning over and picking her up. She wasn't expecting it, but didn't resist. “thanks..” she said as I carried her up the stairs to my room and layed her on the bed. “I'll go get some ice.” I said while grabbing the ice bucket and walked outside and down the hall to the ice machine.



When I returned she looked up. As I closed the door, she said “This really isn't necessary.” “I can call an ambulance if you would rather?” I asked, one eyebrow raised. “No.” she shot back quickly. “That's what I thought.” I said, as I tied the bag of ice into a knot and placed it on her ankle. She inhaled sharply. “once you can limp on that thing I can give you a ride to where-ever you live.” I said. She looked up at me guiltily. “what?” I said. “well,” she said. “I kind of live with that guy you just punched.” “Your boyfriend?” I said. “EX boyfriend” she corrected. I nodded slowly. “well uhh..” I mumbled. “ you can stay here if you want..” “no I uhh.. I couldn't..” she said. “Okay, well, where can I take you to stay tonight?” I said. She didn't answer. I looked over as the first tear streamed down her face. “I'll take the couch” I said, grabbing an extra blanket and pillow from the closet and laying them on the couch. “thank you.” she said “It's no trouble.” I lied as I clicked off the light and layed down on the -even more uncomfortable than the bed- couch. I layed there thinking how things could have changed so much in such a short period of time.









© Copyright 2009 Dub (dubz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1627969-Road-to-Normality