*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1625542-Remembering-a-Christmas-Past
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1625542
A special moment in time I will always remember.
Some might say they’ve been haunted by the ghosts of Christmas past, remembering moments that once were, or have long since disintegrated in time, moments that you’ll forever hold dear to you in your heart.

I don’t remember a lot of what happened this one Christmas day, you see I was little but it was back to a time in a child’s youth, when I still saw through a child’s eyes.

It was a typical Christmas none out of the ordinary at the time because you see these were the happy times when everyone got along without the worries or arguments that the misfortunes of later years had clouded upon us.

I know this might sound familiar but in life it really is the smallest things that we should enjoy the most and that one momentary second as I looked about that small room, I can remember it as this Hollywood setting of a perfect, happy Christmas.

You see my family’s house was only meant for four people and thus wasn’t all that big so squeezing forty people was quite a challenge and with a house built like mine; you’d think you were in one room rather than three. With a line for a kitchen there was a small bar table top counter that acted as the wall separating the kitchen from this vast living room. Then off to the left was the stair case, very small, only two steps up, turn and four steps up and wala! You’re standing on a miniature balcony overlooking the entire downstairs.

Now the tree itself stood in the center of this one, connected room blocking four large window pans curved into a slight C-shape. All lit up in multi-colored Christmas lights yet to be turned on, with silver garland all wrapped around and ornaments of all kinds covering almost every tree branch. O! And I can’t forget the angel perched on top, a small candle in her hands, as a flowing white gown laced in gold dropped to her feet and two fluffy golden wings curved outwards on either side.

I can still recall, in the split moment that I looked around, the smell of two turkeys cooking in the ovens and the aroma of peas, green beans, squash, corn and other sides on the stove, mixed with the smell of sweets and other dishes brought in by the family.

Members from both sides; aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, and I think some family friends were gathered in this small house in celebration of the holidays.
The room was overflowing with relatives as some stood, and others sat at the bar counter. A few of my aunts, along with my mother were in what we called, the sad excuse of a kitchen, preparing dinner.

The room was loud with voices of conversation and laughter. Most of my uncles either had a beer or wine glass in there hand as they all gathered across on the three black couches, with a few of my aunts, in front of where two of my cousins, and I, sat in front of the tree, as the TV played what think was football.

But what made this singular moment in time so special was unknown to me at the time but yet I hung onto this precious memory and now I know why, now I understand why I will always remember it. Now I know why I’ll always remember the moment I raised my small head.

It was the last Christmas my whole family spent together; the last Christmas season I saw my entire family together, together and happy.

600 words
© Copyright 2009 Chihiro (chihiro2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1625542-Remembering-a-Christmas-Past