*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1619548-Loyalists-vs-Patriots
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Assignment · History · #1619548
Info on the Loyalists and Patriots. Which side I like better. For my report.
Loyalists vs. Patriots

Loyalists were colonists who's favor was towards the Kingdom of Great Britain and their monarchy during the Revolutionary War. They believed that the war for independence was wrong as well as immoral, causing great problems with the Patriots. About 20% of the population in the colonies was believed to be loyalists containing artisans,small farmers and shopkeepers, with only few colored citizens among them. Loyalists were also called "Tories" which means the believers in an unrestrained monarchy and went by the theory of John Locke. His theory was that everyone should have natural rights but a limited government as well. Loyalists also thought highly of supremacy which meant that you would have the most power or authority over something. Loyalists started the disaffected but that led to failure on their part and the Patriots winning the Revolutionary War.


Patriots were colonists who rebelled against the British control and were for the war of independence during the revolution.In 1776 some patriot citizens greatly impacted the world around us by declaring the United States a free nation. The patriots main rebellion was on republicanism. Republicanism was first practiced by the Founding Fathers in the 1800's and stated that liberty and rights were central values. This means that the practice was making the people into a sovereign that operated individually over certain territories or matters that came up. Patriots excepted anyone and everyone ranging from college students to all different ethnical backgrounds. They believed in "No taxation without representation" which later lead to the Declaration of Independence getting signed and them being known today as, "The Founding Fathers of the United States."


I understand the beliefs and actions the loyalists took during the war, but am on the side of the Patriots because of what they did to our nation. The loyalists did some brave and good things but with the patriots and the Declaration of Independence i think they made the biggest impact.I don't understand why the loyalists opposed the war for freedom, because why wouldn't you want rights as equals?I think the loyalists may have been against it because they didn't want to lose their power and gain over others that they previously had because f the king. When i was reading the articles i noticed myself aggreeing more with the patriots and what they did.I feel like i didn't learn as much about the loyalists and couldn't find very good information on them so maybe if i could find more about them and what they did i might think otherwise.









© Copyright 2009 snoopysnoopersnoop (snoopysnooper at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1619548-Loyalists-vs-Patriots