*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1615222-The-Fallen
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1615222
Would you ever dare to give up everything for the one you loved?
Long ago lived an angel, watching over the Earth in the Heavens, and asked himself a question. 'Why are the humans so happy?' They could die at any moment. 'Why were they filled with smiles?' Now this angered him. Why couldn't he find this kind of happiness. He lived forever, this should have been happiness enough, but it wasn't. He began to roam the skies in search for a purpose. He came across a golden cage in middle of the woods, with a small yellow bird trapped inside. As he desended, he over lapped his wings, covering him from the neck down.

He approached the bird with caution, and heard its cries for help. He neared the creature "Shh, don't worry, help is here little one.." he said in a soft voice. He slide is fingers through the cage to pet it, resure it was safe. As he opened the cage, he held it, and kissed the top of its head, "there, all better." he smiled then let it free, but it didn't take flight. It fell, hopping, its wing had been broken. He tore a piece of cloth from his robe and formed a bandage to all for proper healing.

As the days went by, he continued to check on the bird, staying by its side, making sure it was safe and no harm could come to it. Now this was forbidden, aiding a creature in help, no angels could ever interfere with the cycle of life or death but he didn't care. He told stories of the heavens, of things that no mortal should ever hear. He took the bird in his hands and unwrapped the cloth, and set it free. Her wing was healed, flying about the forrest, chirping happily.

He returned to the heavens with a gracious smile across his lips. This is what happiness felt like, to help another, to have a purpose. He actually cared, but the smile crept away, the creature was mortal and could die. What he did was in vain, rushing back down to the creature to make sure it would always be safe. As he found himself in the middle of the woods, he called to the bird but no response, was he already too late? Then young lady creept out of the shadows, "An angel!?" not caring that his identiy was revealed he ask her bluntly "Wheres the small bird!? you must have seen it!" her hands were behind her back and a large grin then hugged him closely. "Thank you!" she said.

Now the angel stood confused, "thank you?" he said puzzled "For what?" she took her hands from behind her back and exposed her hand, she held the cloth within her grasp, "you saved me." "Saved you!" the angel stepped back. "i saved a bird not a girl" she nodded, "The bird was I, a man had trapped me in my form and was unable to change back due to the injury he caused." The angel stood back, "So your a shape shifter..." "yes" she said throwing his arms around him, "And your my angel" she giggled and kissed his cheek.

He laughed, "yeah...you can say that." He kissed her, but not on the cheek, her lips soft and warm. She didn't reject but allowed it and continued, as they broke the kiss, she muttered the words, "I love you.." The angel had never heard such words spoken to him. She placed a hand on his heart and the words just came out, "I love you" he replied. It felt good to say these words back. He broke the rules, and found happiness.

That night they agreed to meet back in woods, she would tell her family, and the angel the Gods. As he arrived at the chamber, there eyes followed him to the center, and he kneeled. "Gods, i come to you with great news, i have fallen in love." The Gods spoke "Good, very good" The angel spoke once more, "With a mortal..." there was to reply. His head lay bowed, not wanting to look. "Is this true?" They spoke, "Yes" he replied. "Fool!" they shouted and thunder shook the skies, "How dare you!? your an angel! angels can't love mortals! its forbidden!" He tried to speak "But-" they cut him off "You will live forever! while she withers away and dies!" the angel then stood, "Whats the point of living forever if my only choice is to live alone!?" They stood silent once more, then a soft voice spoke, "My son, if this mortal means so much to you, we will grant you the wish to be with her...but you must give up immortality and die like them-" The angel cut her off, "yes! anything!" "You didn't let me finish my son, If you choose this, you can never come back, you will be destined to live in the underworld."

The angel stood defient, choose a life of loneliness or a life knowing what it is like to be with the one you care for? A life where the end means spending eternity in the underworld, but knowing you lived a life worth living. He smiled and a sword appeared in the middle of the chamber. He stepped up and took the sword in his hands, "I choose...to be a mortal..." He then held his breath and did something never seen or heard of, he cut his own wings off, yelling in agony he saw one of the wings fall. Blood poured from the wound, then the other fell, he fell to his knees, grasping the last feather as he fainted.

He woke in the middle of the woods, his head laid in her lap, "where are your wings?" she asked. He stood slowly and kissed her lips, then stared into her eyes, "I love you...i gave it up for you..." She touched her hand to his face then looked away, "Forgive me...but i cannot be with an angel...we must remain friends." he turned her around and smiled, "That's the good thing, i'm no longer one, we are free to be together." she shook her head, "I'm sorry...i love you, but nothing can happen." Rain began to fall and he knew what had just happened. Everyone watched from above and expressed there sorrow for him, but he did not shed a tear. He held her in his arms as the rain fell, "i still love you, we might not be able to be together now, but i know we will someday." She smiled, "yes...one day we will be together, one day we will..." he kissed her once more then showed her the feather that was crafted into a necklace and slipped it on her.

The fallen angel continued to love her, even though they remained friends. He knew in his heart that they would one day be together. He held on to those words 'One day we will be together' and that brought a smile to his face. He held on to that hope just like she held on to the feather that dangled on her neck.
© Copyright 2009 Smoothie (smoothiebun at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1615222-The-Fallen