*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1584204-A-Symphony-of-Diamonds
by Story
Rated: E · Short Story · Detective · #1584204
An escapade from the private journals of Lt. Jason Miller: FBI, 1948:
From the private journals of Lt. Jason Miller: FBI, 1948:

Sir Ronald Fern, a short, rake of a man, relaxed as the Boeing 247 made its way from South Africa to London. I sat beside him and recognised him at once. ‘You’re a conductor, aren’t you? A music conductor. I’ve seen you in the papers.’

‘Fame has a terrible price; recognition.’

I shook his hand. ‘An honour to meet you, sir. I live in the Transvaal. Returning to London to be with the in-laws. Written anything new, lately?’

‘While in South Africa I completed a new work.’

‘What’s it called?’

‘The Diamond Symphony.’

A few hours later the flight landed at Heathrow and I said, ‘Well, it was a great honour meeting and chatting with you, Sir Ronald.’

Sir Ronald laughed, ‘Enjoy your life, young man. Goodbye.’

Sir Ronald swiftly made for the men’s restroom and once inside, closed the door. He removed a wooden baton from his suitcase, bit one end open, and emptied the contents into a black pouch. He flushed the chain and opened the door.

‘Hello again, Sir Ronald.’ I grinned. ‘FBI. Lieutenant Jason Miller. I’d like to talk to you about stolen diamonds.’
© Copyright 2009 Story (louisjharris at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1584204-A-Symphony-of-Diamonds