*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1575041-AnointedSetting-SunNightmares-22
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1575041
"Nightmares" continued...
Crystal sat in her language class, staring at her text book in front of her. Mrs. Harmon was speaking of complex sentences but Crystal wasn’t paying attention. Her mind kept tracing back to her fight with Jet. What was with him? Why did he abandon her last night and act like nothing happened between them this morning? Was he going to apologize? Was he trying to make up for what he had done?

What if she screwed it all up?

She stopped herself, glaring at the book. If he was going to try to mend their relationship back together, then she was glad she stopped him.

I’ll be much happier without you anyways! That reply of his was the crux of her decision. He was never happy—the burdens of being friends with the princess must have been too hard to handle! In actuality, he just was lying to himself to make her happy. She didn’t want a single part of that.

She could feel the anger boiling inside her as she clenched the pencil in her hand. She squeezed so hard that her balled fist turned red.

She had to DO something: Count to ten, hold her breath, find a happy place—SOMETHING! If she let this darkness in, she’d be endangering Nebulan again. She wasn’t about to make the same mistake she made last night. This fight with Jet won’t stir her as badly as the last one. She will not let her emotions get the best of her. Not ever again!

Lost somewhere in her conflicting mind, she could faintly feel her lips rise to a humorless smile. Funny how it was always Jet’s fault lately…

She pursed her lips into a hard line. More bad thoughts… Stop it, Crystal, stop it!

It frustrated her at how powerfully her emotions responded to Jet. It was so hard to control her self around him. He was the one weakness in her life—the only one that could affect her emotions so strongly… Why was that!

Darn it all, now he’s got her frustrated all over again!

“And that means Peter is the direct object in this sentence.” The teacher frowned as her eyes found Crystal. The pencil the princess was holding had begun to fissure—probably a result of her blood red fist clenching it so tightly.

Harmon put her text book down on her desk, more concerned for the princess. “Lady Crystal? Are you alright?”

The teacher’s voice interrupted Crystal’s inner fight with herself and she blinked in surprise. Her eyes found the pencil she held hostage and, with a gasp, she let it go, looking up at the teacher.

She could feel the whole school looking at her, overhearing faint whispers of concern coming from the class.

“Is she OK?” one boy asked.

“She looked really upset,” another added.

“No way, Lady Crystal being angry—what could do that?”

Blood rushed to Crystal’s cheeks. She jumped to her feet and bowed her head in embarrassment at the still-staring teacher. “I’m sorry, Mrs. Harmon. May I be excused?”

Normal students would have gotten a scolding, “no”. But just as expected, the teacher approved of it. Apparently, there was some benefit in being the princess of an entire world.

As she walked down the halls, she found herself in an even worse predicament. Absent-mindedly she had walked to her locker. Just looking at it brought back memories better off forgotten. Normally, walking through the school was relaxing and helped her cool down when angered. But now she found herself growing even more furious.

Her hands balled into fists as her eyes kept on her locker—right where he was standing.

She had to clear her head! She flexed her fingers slowly, trying to push the thoughts far out of her mind.

Still… no matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t stop thinking about him! This was ridiculous! It’s not like Jet was the only person in her life. She had other memories, and some were without Jet.

But no matter how fast she tried to erase him from her thoughts, he came back just as quickly, like she was running in an infinite lap of circles. The quicker she tried to run, the quicker she’d get to the finish line which ultimately ended with Jet.

She bolted from her locker. If he was destined to be etched on her brain, she’d at least find some good memories to go with him.

She ran towards one of the four elevator entrances in her grade level, and stepped into the elevator—which was huge by the way. While there was only one elevator in the school, it was massive and ran along the sides of the walls. It circled around the entire cafeteria. They were designed this way so that the entire floor could get in the elevator with one press of a button when lunch time began.

Purington Academy held a total of fourteen floors and took up a massive amount of land. Twelve floors were designed for each grade. The bottom floor was made for day care, and the top made for college students. The school’s size was second to only her palace.

After pressing the button for third floor (the level for second graders) Crystal gazed at the rectangular mass of the cafeteria outside the clear glass window. The room was located in the very center of the school and was so wide and long that Crystal couldn’t clearly make out the other side parallel to her.

A clear glass sunroof—thirteen floors overhead, of course—allowed the sun to shine down on the countless round tables. The cafeteria below reminded her of when Jet and her were little and always sat together for lunch. Back then, it was so easy to be with him. He was the only one who she remained content with.

When her parent’s told her they couldn’t home school her anymore and planned to enroll her in the academy, she was scared stiff. She thought everyone would be afraid of her because of her position—that they’d be intimidated by her.

At first, everyone was terrified except Jet. Everyone called her princess or Lady Crystal but Jet called her Cryst—giving her a name of his own, treating her for who she was, and not what position she held.

That made her so happy… Even when enormous amounts of people began treating her nicely, she was only fully satisfied if she was with Jet. When she would ask why he hung out with her, only he would be able to speak of her true personality and not her heritage. He enjoyed her for her, and she enjoyed him for him. The bond they had was unbreakable.

A lump began to swell in her throat as her eyes welled with tears. At least… back then it was… She swung her fist into the closed door of the elevator. Just what happened to them—where did they go wrong?!

It didn’t make any sense! What caused him to treat her this way now? You don’t just know everything there is to know about someone and not like them.

Besides, ever since she was little, she could tell when people had ulterior motives and Jet didn’t have a single one! He just wanted to be with her—that was it!

So what was it that turned him into such a jerk…? When was it that he became so heartless?

She was intending on walking down the halls of the second grade level, but now she saw the futility in her efforts. Even if she went to the exact place she met Jet, she’d still be haunted by the present. No matter how much she reminisced on their childhood, the Jet as he was now would plague her thoughts. She swung another one of her fist at the elevator door—hitting the imaginary Jet’s face. The blood from her knuckles slowly slid down the metal frame of the door.

At first, the only thing she could see was red. She was robbed of her sight and conscious. The only thought she could hold onto was her hatred for her former best friend.

Her awareness was lost during all her inescapable fury, until she noticed her powerful glare was staring into someone’s bewildered face. The boy’s eyes were wide and greatly intimidated. His body seemed frozen and his entire forehead seemed to be swelling in a huge bruise—just in front of her clenched fist.

Her definition-to-detail returned very slowly—It was like her surroundings were materializing in front of her. She kept her glare as she slowly realized she was face level to the crane of the boy’s neck. Her glare grew more so as his brown eyes came into view and familiar face. Jet.

She felt compelled to focus harder and dropped her glare as she scrutinized the boy. While the boy’s eyes were the same amber brown, his pools held a stature of mischief and adventure. They didn’t present themselves like Jet’s did—Jet’s would glow with exhilaration, and always drown her in their wild and passionate gleam.

Her eyes widened in the same horror as the petrified boy’s as she noticed the blonde streaks dyed in his hair. At that moment, thousands of questions resounded in her head. What on Nebulan happened? When did the doors open up? Did she really imagine hitting the elevator, and hit Sket?

After a long while of staring at each other in silence, Sket was able to speak through the shock. “Did I…?” His voice had been very careful—like he was the mouse trying to speak to a lion. He paced a few steps back from her as he spoke. “Offend you in some way?”

She couldn’t help noticing how Sket was more worried around her than normal. The only thing that stopped him from moving back any further was the wall behind him.

She must have really hit him… There was no other explanation for Sket to cower like that. How terrible… She struck at someone.

Her wide eyes blazed with concern as she rushed over to the bruised Sket. “I am so sorry, Sket,” she apologized frantically. “I could have sworn I swung at the elevator.”

“What?” For a second his eyes were brown pools of confusion.

She could feel his lost gaze meet her eyes—which were constantly flickering to the large section of purple-blue on his forehead in trepidation. She must’ve hit him hard!

To her immediate surprise, Sket started a long round of chuckles. “Oh, you mean this?” His head shook repeatedly as a grin plastered on his face. “No, no, no. You didn’t strike me. I was just concerned why you had been glaring at me—half-expected it was because you knew I was sent to find you.”

She furrowed her brows, her eyes now focused on his. “Sent to find me…?”

Again, he became the mouse. “I mean if that’s all right with you, princess. The teacher told me to do it. She said that since I was the fastest in the class, I could easily find you before lunch time. It’s not like I rose my hand or anything—I swear it.”

This wasn’t adding up. Crystal’s eyes narrowed in suspicion. “I’m not buying it; you had to have followed me. How else would you know which floor I was going to?”

He waved his hands in front of him as he spouted out his explanation. “It was a chance, I tell ya—chance. It was luck that I ran into you. I had to scan every hallway, call for you in every bathroom, and on every floor.

“When I got to this floor and still couldn’t find you, I suddenly thought of looking through the hallways in the elevator. Naturally, I turned off my power to wait for the elevator. Then you popped out of it, glaring at me.”

Crystal’s eyes were wide in awestruck disbelief. “You mean you scanned every hallway, checked all the bathrooms, on all the floors above and even used the steps?” Her tone was full of surprise.

His sounded slightly offended. “Hey, I am the fastest kid in school, y’know.”

He folded his arms with a look of pure pride. “I could have scanned all the floors and beat that elevator going up the steps.”

Her silky voice still rang in confusion. “But wouldn’t you be exhausted?”

“Oh, that’s what you meant!” His face brightened, probably glad to see he hadn’t lost his reputation. “Actually, it comes with the GIFT. My stamina’s through the roof—I’ve yet to burn out ever since I was given my powers.”

“So…” Her eyes flickered to his bruised forehead. “If I didn’t hit you, who did?”

The boy who stood so high and mighty, flinched at her question. He looked away in embarrassment. “Well… no one hit me… It’s just that I tripped.” His eyes flashed in recollection as they shot back to Crystal. “Oh yeah, that reminds me:”—he pulled a black box out of his pocket, the box had Crystal’s name written on a white tag—“This is what made me fall on my face! I thought about throwing it away, but when I saw the tag, I figured I should give it to you once I found you.”

He tossed the box towards her, and she caught it with one of her hands. “Thanks,” she replied lightly. Her eyes kept on the box in curious interest.

The bells chirped loudly, signaling lunch time had begun.

Sket glared at the bell as if he had lost a fight with it. “Great. And I was making good time too…” He offered his hand. “You coming? If we hurry, I can still get you there on time.”

She smiled in appreciation but shook her head. “No thanks. I’ll go down later.”

His arm dropped to his side, evidently disappointed. “Oh… That’s too bad.”

She giggled, knowing full well what bothered him. “Don’t worry. When the classmates ask, I’ll be sure to tell them you beat the clock.”

His frown curled up to a smile, satisfied. “Thanks.”

But as he was turning to run off, something stopped him in his tracks. When he was looking in her eyes again, she could see his pleading expression. “You in the mood for a huge favor?”

“What’s the favor?” she asked carefully.

“Well, the teach caught me sneaking out of class and now I’ve got to go to detention… I was wondering if you could wait for me there.”

She looked down for a few seconds, hesitant. “I don’t know, Sket. Kinta doesn’t like it when I’m not back on time. He get’s very worried about me when I’m late.”

His lips curved to a puckish grin. “It’s—about—Jet~,” he chanted.

She was utterly disgusted with herself at the temptation that came with his statement. “Yeah…well…,” she faltered then hung her head in defeat. “Fine…”

She glared lightly as she pointed at him with her index finger in accusation— for more reasons than one. “But I’ll only stay for fifteen minutes. After that, I’m leaving. Got it?”

Sket’s smile was huge. “Awesome! You won’t regret it.” He saluted her with his two fingers. “See ya at lunch!”

And with that, Sket became a translucent blur as he shot through the halls—leaving the peeved Crystal by herself. She glowered after the trail of Sket’s, clenching her teeth together tightly.

Honestly! She wanted to slug herself in the jaw!—she might as well. Who knows, she might actually enjoy it!—because only a masochist would hold onto this futile hope of hers—only someone, like herself, who enjoyed suffering would submit to a love unrequited!

Her time for hating herself was cut short as the principle of second grade spoke through the speakers. “Attention all second grade students. The elevator is now open for use to all classes on this floor. Please line up in single file to the nearest entrances of the elevator. That is all.”

The floor began to sound off with life. Crystal could here a female teacher reprimand a hungry second grader. “Demetri, no! We have to wait for everyone to get in line.”

Crystal could hear the skidding of the wooden chairs on marble along with the rumbling sound of children’s feet as they made their way towards the classroom’s doors. In a few seconds these halls were going to get quite crowded.

Not wanting to be the center of attention two times in one day, Crystal darted to the doors that led to the stairs.

When inside the flights of stairs, she slammed her back against the closing door—just a millisecond before the children flocked out into the halls.

At that point, she’d have given anything to have Sket’s power—infinite stamina would have come in handy. True, no one had seen her, but if she kept making these loud vehement breaths, they were destined to hear her.

After she finally gained control of her breath, she pushed off the golden door and examined the small box in her hand. “I wonder what’s in it...”

When she opened the lid, the shock of what she felt pull at her, caused her drop it to the level floor between the steps. Crystal was told the story of the CROSSES OF CONSCIENCE a million times. She remembered how her parent’s tucked her in bed when she was little and began speaking of Jerich and Anaia’s tragic love story. They said Jerich made it to look like a regular silver cross necklace to avoid suspicion. When they got to the end of the story they mentioned that the two necklaces still resided on Nebulan and could be found if searched for.

“They could?” The young girl lay tucked in her bed as her mother and father took turns portraying the story of Jerich and Anaia. The bed was an assortment of pink silky sheets and a feathery white comforter that covered it all, along with two light blue frilly pillows—her head on one of the pillows and her blue stuffed dog—with long droopy ears—on the other. Translucent light-pink curtains fell around her bed in feminine curves. Two tall figures—Ariel and Isaac—sat on white wooden rocking chairs—Ariel had full silver white hair trailing down her mid-back, her eyes smoldering caramel brown and Isaac had curled sandy brown hair and beard, his eyes an emerald green.

The third grader blinked slowly, forcing her eyelids to stay open. “Could I find it?”

The sultry voice of her mother’s filled the room. “Of course, dear,” she answered.

Isaac smiled before speaking in his deep and content voice. “As long as they aren’t being worn by another, the CROSSES OF CONSCIENCE responds to any one who has someone they love. Do you have someone you love?”

The young Crystal’s cheeks blushed crimson as she gave a soft nod. “Uh-huh, his name is Je—





And that’s where this flashback will end! Honestly, did every fond memory have to involve Jet in it?

Crystal forced the thoughts out of her head, successfully distracting herself by use of the mystery of the necklaces. She wasn’t sure what her parent’s meant by the necklace responding to her, until now. The second she opened the box, the pull was frightening. It was like her gaze had been suddenly tugged to it. Even as she had her flashback, her eyes couldn’t leave the necklace.

A mixture of emotion ran through her. She went through emotions greatly contrasting each other. For a moment, she felt happy that the necklace responded to her but afterwards, she was furious at that same reason. The pull was undeniable proof that she still loved that jerk…

She pulled the necklace out of its case and delicately hooked it around her neck. The silver cross hung in front of the center of her collarbone—a perfect fit. She almost felt bad for wearing it, though.

This wasn’t the first time she’d been given a gift. In fact, it had become a daily routine for her. Being princess and all got her a lot of attention—more than she ever desired at that…

But this gift wasn’t a common thing. This gift was priceless. The boy who searched for it must have really loved her… and she—stupidly and masochistically—still loved another.

Her eyes found a folded note beside the box—it must have fallen out of the box when she dropped it in surprise. She stared at the folded note on the iron floor for a minute. Did she really want to read that? What if it was a love letter?—that would only bring her more guilt…

After deciding it rude not to read the work the boy did, she bent over and picked it up, unfolding it. The paper looked like one of the notes you’d catch students passing around in class. It was written on a large section of ripped off outline paper and seemed to be written in lead from a pencil.





Dear Crystal,



I felt this gift to be appropriate for us; just as the story of Jerich and Anaia, a force is working against us.

Unlike the story, this force comes from only one guy.

His threats meant nothing to me. He could vow to break every bone in my body and I still would come running to you. I swear, Cryst, no amount of physical pain could hold me from you.

But…when he found I didn’t care for my safety, he started saying he’d endanger others—even you. It kills me to be without you… But it would kill me MORE if this guy did anything to you!

I’m sorry about what happened last night. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done… but it was intended to be for your own safety.

I haven’t forgotten that promise…and I am certainly not willing to break it.



Hoping to still remain together forever,



Jet Aero Burner





It took her a while to read the whole thing. Her hands started to tremble as she got to the nickname only Jet would use for her. Not only were her quaking hands shaking the letters around, but she’d have to stop reading at times to wipe away the tears streaking down her face.

Unlike the tears that escaped her before, these were tears of joy. Her quivering lips had been curved to a huge smile as she kept reading the letter.

But all that joy became guilt as she read the ending signature. Hoping to still remain together forever. Her body fell limp as she remembered how she responded to his attempted request. You can drop dead for all I care! This was the second time she found herself crying on her hands and knees.

Unlike the first, she wasn’t blaming Jet. She had no one to blame but herself. It felt as if someone kicked her right in the stomach. It was all her fault… She should’ve had faith in Jet’s words…

Her body felt heavier and heavier—like the gravity had increased somehow. Her arms and legs supporting her up, felt so weak… Just before she fell completely on the floor the necklace glowed in a fuchsia aura.

She had been told that the necklaces worked by your emotions and if it found the one that the owner loved, it would glow that fuchsia color—signaling that the one she loved was thinking about her and was opened to hear her telepathically.

All of the sudden, that thought alone caused her to shoot from the ground, the burdensome weight instantly lifted.

Jet… She cried in her torrents of tears as she ran up the steps. I’m so sorry… Please… Please forgive me!

Why was she running upstairs? Wouldn’t it make sense that he was in the cafeteria during lunch time? Still, somehow she’d bet her last dollar that Jet was up there. It was like instinct.

And she didn’t just have a hunch where he was, but also how he was. The fear for his safety just consumed her out of nowhere—she didn’t know the details, but she could swear he was in grave danger…







Murdor ground his teeth together as the smell of Warpup grew dangerously close. How long was this kid going to be out for? At this rate, he’d have to kill Jet in his sleep. That was no fun—to think of all the tormented screams and horrified expressions he’d have to sacrifice!

He glared at the kid who jolted suddenly—the kind of jolt you’d see from someone who heard a sudden noise break the complete silence.

“Crystal,” he mumbled in a tone of surprise as he squirmed in his sleep.

Murdor grinned from ear-to-ear. Good, he was waking up.

Jet squeezed his eyes tightly, trying to speak back to the shrill cries of his best friend. “Crystal… Please don’t cry. I forgive you… Just please… Stop crying…”

Murdor almost threw up. Yuck! The kid was in love—that was even more of a reason to kill him on spot.

He fought with that idea of shutting him up for good. It would be more exhilarating if he waited for the pup to enter just before his death—that way, he might even get the look of despair from Jet and the pup. The more torment, the better, right?

Jet where are you…?

Jet grit his teeth, concerned for Crystal’s frantic voice. Crystal, what’s wrong? Are you okay? What’s happening?!

He could hear her desperate voice scream for him. Jet, I’m sorry, her voice choked, her tone laced thick with regret. I’m so sorry… Just please come back to me!

Jet, SPEAK to me! Where are you?! Use SACRED SPEECH—something! Please, Jet, I need you to answer!

A brief moment of silence fell. When the voice came back, her desperate tone was now replaced with despair. I’m so sorry for what I said, the voice sobbed, I didn’t mean a single word. I just…

I just got worried that you were happier without me. I thought that the problems you didn’t want to share together were my own—that you thought it was burdensome to be with a princess… Please…forgive me…

Jet open his eyes slightly. Crystal… you’re already for—

Please don’t ignore me!

What was going on? Why couldn’t she hear his reply? Jet searched the area wildly, finding nothing but chains and stone walls.

“Hope you enjoyed your little dream, because now it’s time for the nightmares.”

Jet rolled to his other side, locking eyes with Murdor’s—his blaring red eyes beaming in a sadistic form behind steel bars. Steel bars?!



















Crystal watched in her despair as the necklace’s glow faded—signaling the end of her ability to speak to him. “NO~!!! Jet~!!!” She leaned against his locker as she fell to her knees in anguish, sobbing against the locker.

Her mourn for his disappearance was so strong. She couldn’t explain it. It was almost as if she was crying over Jet’s death—the thought almost drove her insane.









Jet quickly pushed off the hard stone floor with one of his hands. He jumped to his feet successfully before feeling the scorching agony from using his fractured fingers. He grabbed his wrist tightly and roared through his tightly clinched teeth. He had forgotten about the damaged hand and received an excruciating reminder.

Murdor grinned. “Careful there. We wouldn’t want you to get hurt, now would we?”

When the sensation faded away, Jet ran towards the bars, slamming his good hand on one of the bars and clutching it tightly as he spat at the demon. “You better let me out of here or I’ll—”

“Or you’ll what?” Murdor challenged coolly, grinning as he sat in his chair. “Just what can you expect to do behind those bars?”

Jet let out a ferocious growl as he slammed his good hand at the bar. The thick bar made a high pitch squeal as it bent slightly from the hit.

Murdor’s eyes brimmed with amusement as they met Jet’s hopeless glare. “Well,” he chuckled, eyeing the bar. “Someone’s feeling restless today.”

Jet grit his teeth tightly—partly in fury and partly in response to the aching heel of his palm.

“So tense.” He reached in his pocket, pulling out the golden bracelet. “Watch the birdie,” Murdor chanted with a smirk as he stood from his chair, juggling the bracelet in one of his hands.

The ANOINTED’S fury was subdued by the powerful attraction drawing from the bracelet. His eyes followed every motion it made, staring at it as it jumped from Murdor’s hand repeatedly.

Murdor cackled at the boy’s fixation. “Like a dog drooling for his bone,” he laughed mockingly.

Jet pulled his brows into a fierce glare but could not pull his eyes from the bracelet’s movement.

Murdor snickered. “Since you seem to be all better now, I’ll give you an update on how long you have to live.” He smiled as the boy kept his gaze moving in sync with the bracelet. “Unfortunately for you, the one that could bring the REDEEMER in this realm has decided to try and save you himself. In other words: there seems to be no benefit in keeping you here now…”

It was hard enough to look away from the bracelet during the fight with Gabren. But now that the sensational pull kept moving around, Jet could watch nothing else but the bracelet.

Strangely, Jet grew a content smile. Looking at the bracelet for too long seemed to bring Jet an unexplainable sense of peace.

Despite’s Jet attentiveness on the accessory, he could hear Murdor word-for-word. He couldn’t believe how calm he remained… It was like the bracelet was hypnotizing him. How else would he have been so relaxed at Murdor stating his life was no longer a benefit for them? “So,” he said casually—like he was talking to his neighbor. “Why haven’t you killed me then?”

Murdor rose a brow at Jet’s calm reply, the boy’s eyes content as it followed the bracelet juggling in Murdor’s hand. His eyes flickered from Jet and the bracelet—it seemed to be soothing the boy. He’d have to make sure this thing was out of Jet’s sight during his execution—how could he enjoy disposing of him if he was deprived of seeing Jet’s dread.

“I haven’t killed you yet because I want to make the moment last. The one trying to save you has only a couple more flights to go. Again, I’d like to take my time with you, but to do that, I need to take care of the nuisance that’s trying to stop me.”

He smirked, still tossing the bracelet in his hand. “Don’t worry, you’ll have your turn soon enough.” His eyes became bloodthirsty. “Just wait and see what I have in store for you.”

Jet smiled unabashedly as he mocked, “Oh? And just what can you expect to do with me behind these bars?”

While fear may have been foreign to the boy, cheekiness apparently wasn’t. Murdor clenched his jaw shut then reached through the bars with blinding speed, and sunk his claws—covered by his ridiculously long sleeves—into Jet’s neck.

Jet’s smile faded as Murdor placed the bracelet back in his pocket. Instantly, Jet could feel the attack, gritting his teeth together in response.

Perhaps this was irony’s comeback from Jet’s rejection. The very bracelet that brought him peace, was the catalyst that led to this agony. If Jet was able to pull his gaze off of it and remain alert, he could’ve easily backed away from Murdor’s attack…

He groaned in pain as Murdor sunk his claws deeper in—his groan erupting to a scream as Murdor lifted him off his feet with his embedded claws.

Murdor smirked in violent pleasure as blood trickled down from Jet’s neck. He had to cackle over Jet’s ear-splitting howls. “Does it hurt?!” He snarled against his screams, “Hope so! Mocking me was your last mistake!”

Jet continued screeching horridly as his body froze from the overwhelming sensation. All he could do was scream louder and louder as gravity took effect and pushed him against the lodged claws—the demon’s claws gradually sliding up his neck.

Murdor watched in satisfaction as Jet’s tight hold on his wrist weakened—the trickles of blood gradually increasing to streams of blood. The life in his eyes began to dull as his screams began to decrease in volume. “That’s it, boy. Realize you’re defeat. You can feel it, can’t you—your vision’s darkening. It won’t be long now. You’re finished…”

Jet grimaced as he realized the truth in Murdor’s words. His vision was flickering towards darkness. He couldn’t keep his hold on the demon’s wrist and his arm fell to his side like a ragdoll. His body was growing limp and wasn’t responding to his desires to move. His wounds on his neck was the only thing left that he could feel—the only sensation left for him was excruciating pain.

Slowly, even the pain grew numb. He wasn’t sure if he was closing his eyes or not, but his vision was slowly slipping into a blinding darkness.

So this must have been what the brink of death felt like. But Jet saw no reason to fight it now—he was too late to change his fate. There was no hope left. He succumbed to the numbness and accepted his death.









Crystal’s tears overwhelmed her. She didn’t know how long she was crying for. All she could register was the pain in her heart. It felt like a piece of her was being ripped apart.

As if mourning over Jet’s imaginary death wasn’t enough, the idea soon felt like a fact. She soon couldn’t deny it for some reason—that Jet had died… A second-wind of mourn crushed her and she cried in the greatest anguish she ever experienced. “Jet!!!!!” she sobbed in a heartbroken cry. The whole school could probably hear her at this rate but for once she didn’t care—she just wanted Jet back! “NO!!!! Jet, please come back to me,” she whimpered through tears.

She felt so helpless—like he was somewhere she couldn’t reach him. Somewhere in her sorrow, she felt an anger burning as she stared at the floor she was on. For some reason, she felt it was the floors fault that she couldn’t reach him.

Ever since she wore this necklace, emotions concerning Jet emerged out of nowhere—she went through an assortment of absurd feelings that had no reason to them. For instance, she felt it wise to look upstairs during their lunch break, then she grew upset just by looking at the floor Jet’s locker stood by,—as if the floor itself was responsible for Jet’s disappearance—and on top of that,—after not even going down to check if he was eating with the others—which was the most logical possibility—she suddenly considered the possibility of death!

This was STUPID! Was the necklace malfunctioning or something?! Why was she following such an illogical route to find Jet? It didn’t make any sense!

Crystal could feel her markings grow warm and brighten as someone used SACRED SPEECH. Sister… What’s happening to you?

Brother… Even her telepathic thought sounded with grief.

Why have you been mourning for so long? What’s happening? Her brother’s voice was laced with deep concern.

It was hard for Crystal even to think her replies at this point. Her voice was hollow and dull when she finally spoke. Jet… H-he’s gone…

Gone?! Gone where?

…Dead…

Another long silence fell. Her brother’s voice erupted from the quiet. He’s dead?! Are you certain of this?

Another stream of tears fell. Maybe… I-I don’t know… I think he is…

She squeezed her eyes tightly as she felt another part of herself rip away. I don’t know how I know this…but if he’s not dead,—she bit her lip—hard enough to draw blood—as the thoughts still haunted her—then he’s on the verge of it!!!

To Crystal’s utmost surprise and disgust, her brother’s voice sounded with relief. Good.

Crystal’s eyes shot open and her voice snapped at her brother. Good?! GOOD?! How could you say that?!

Was she missing something? When did her gentle-hearted brother want Jet dead?!

His voice became defensive. Listen, Crystal. You have to trust me. I know it sounds strange but Jet needs to die. You’ll understand soon enough.

¬









Murdor watched as Jet finished making his last struggle for breath. He grinned as Warpup slammed the door open at the end of the hallway. Slowly, Murdor turned his victorious gaze to the pup, still holding Jet by his claws. “Ah, Warpup… I hope you didn’t work yourself too hard—seeing as how your venture has become a complete waste.”

He threw the deceased Jet into the far wall of the prison, Murdor’s eyes still glued on the pup’s furious golden ones—a deafening crash coming from the corpse colliding into the stone wall, Murdor smirking afterwards. “After all, what good is finding the ANOINTED when he’s already dead?”

The pup had a numb expression as he registered Murdor’s words. Soon after, he glared viciously. “You’re lying—I don’t believe you! He can’t be dead! I won’t believe it until I see him myself!”

Murdor grinned with excitement and stepped away from the cell. This was going to be good. “Be my guest—step forward and see for yourself.”

The pup began to approach the cell that kept Jet’s carcass, and Murdor watched with great satisfaction as the pup’s amber yellow eyes found Jet’s body. The boy was lying lifelessly in a huge depression of the far stone wall.

Through the first few minutes, Warpup could only stare at the lying corpse.

“No!” Warpup finally screamed. The sound was heavenly. “No! Jet! You can’t die!” Murdor heard him howl in the sultry sound of anguish. The pup screamed over and over again in denial of Jet’s obvious death.

Murdor closed his eyes, enjoying the sounds of the powerless canine. “Let me know when you’re ready to die. But, please, don’t rush yourself. Despair comes after denial—and I do so love the sound of despair.”

His eyes remained closed with content as he listened to the sweet symphony of Warpup’s tormented fury.

“Murdor…” The pup’s voice snarled. “You haven’t changed a bit… You could have killed me before I got here…” Murdor smiled as he could hear the disgust in the pup’s voice. “But you didn’t—it wasn’t enough for you! You wanted me to see Jet dead… You just couldn’t resist the idea of seeing me mourn…” Murdor offered a glance—watching happily as Warpup’s body trembled in remorse.

He closed his eyes. After a few seconds went by, he could detect the slight sound of a snicker from the creature.

Bewildered by this unforeseen change of mood, his eyes shot open, looking at the top of the pup’s head. To his greatest surprise and dismay, the pup kept snickering along with the shivers of supposed dread —Warpup must have broke into insanity before he hit despair.

“And that…” the pup hissed.

Murdor’s eyes went wide in horror after the pup shifted its eyes to glare toward him—the pup’s eyes blazing golden like amber yellow fire. It’s muzzle lifted into a smug expression. “Will be your downfall.”

He could never forget that gaze of his. His eyes smoldered like that before. His gaze snapped back to the cell, snarling as he watched the once lifeless Jet dazedly stand to his feet.

Jet performed a series of stretches. Nothing hurt. His bones were completely healed and his neck felt like new. He gazed in awe at himself as he stood unharmed.

What happened? All he could remember was fading into darkness… Sometime during his drifting in the void, his memories were fading, like he’d been part of a fleeting dream.

He remembered a light reaching toward him but before it could, golden eyes seemed to appear in between the light’s approach—it’s gaze supernaturally blazing with a amber color of fire.

Soon, the light faded, and the eyes were the only thing left in the darkness. They seemed to follow Jet’s bodiless form.

Then they’re blaze began to light the area… The darkness lifted and his body emerged from it by the gaze directed on him—his memories slowly returning to him from the dark.

Jet’s eyes still were fixated on his hands, his sight else where. There was only one other time he saw that blaze of eyes. He blinked out of his daze. Warpup! Sure enough, as he looked out in front of him he saw the pup standing beside the fuming Murdor.

Jet stared at the pup with shock. “Warpup?!”

The pup glanced at Jet with a look of pure pride.

Jet watched in horror as Murdor gave a blood-curdling cry and snatched the pup’s throat in his covered hand, holding him in the air as he glared at the surprised pup. “You tricked me!” he screeched, squeezing Warpup’s throat with fierce vigor.

Warpup cringed but kept his smug smile. Then the pup glared. “You…brought this on yourself…Murdor,” he choked, the demon growling and squeezing tighter.

The pup gasped but forced another glare—fiercer than the last. “I couldn’t have healed him… If you didn’t let me see him.” Gritting his teeth, Warpup manage to look at the furious and bewildered demon with a slightly haughty expression. “Thanks, pal.”

The demon was literally shaking with fury. He let out an elongated scream as he threw the pup into the ground.

Jet’s heart stopped as he heard Warpup’s gut-wrenching cry. No!!!! Warpup…

Another high pitch squeal came from the pup as Murdor kicked him hard in the ribs, hurling his back into the metal door that led to the stairs.

Jet could only hear the squeal of both Warpup and the metal door denting from his body’s impact. He watched in terror as Murdor ran after the pup in a blinding rage.

Jet ran to the steel barred door, desperately slamming himself against it in futility. “Warpup! No, don’t!”

Murdor watched in satisfaction as he picked the pup up into the air by the fur on the top of his neck. He glared with a malignant smirk. He started to swing his free fist into Warpup’s jaw after every sentence made, the pup letting out a shrill cry of pain in response to every blow given—it’s jaw gradually spurting blood from the corner of its damaged muzzle.

“You think you saved the day?” Murdor snickered as he struck his first blow. “You haven’t solved a thing!” he roared as he landed the second blow. “I’m the one who should thank you!” Then came the third. “It’s a rarity that I get to kill people two times!” He put all of his strength in the final fourth blow.

Jet’s furious cry could be heard from behind him. “NO!!!!”

To his frustration, the pup’s muzzle remained slightly curved in a smirk. “Second…mistake…”

A surge of energy crashed into him from behind. In that fleeting moment, his mental image of Jet seemed to tower over him. The sensation froze him in spot. “What…?” he gasped in horror as his head slowly turned towards the energy source, the steel door concealing Jet crashing into the wall in a deafening rumble.

He threw the pup down, whirling around to lock eyes with the glaring Jet. Again, the boy seemed to tower above him.

Jet kept his ferocious glare as he watched the horrified Murdor. “I’ve had enough, Murdor!”

This wasn’t Jet’s power. It couldn’t have been! He was a housefly compared to him! Where could he have gotten that much strength?!

The pup’s voice scoffed. “Your second mistake was underestimating the ANOINTED’S true power.”

Murdor glared behind him, performing yet another mistake—more deadly than the two others combined. By the time he turned back to face Jet, the CHOSEN’S fist landed on his cheek bone. Like before, a crackle could be heard after his attack, but this time it was Murdor who roared in agony.

Jet grinned as he watched Murdor bend over and rub his cheek. This time it was Murdor’s skeletal structure in danger. “Sorry,” he grunted viciously. “I didn’t know caressing your cheek would break you like that. You were fine the first time. What happened?”

Murdor clinched his teeth tightly to the point they were growing sore. He began trying to incessantly punch Jet in the face with his left and his right, Jet easily dodging every attack by moving his head left and right.

Jet smirked as he held the bracelet in one of his hands, flaunting it in front of Murdor. “See the birdie?”

Murdor went bug eyed as he stared at the accessory in Jet’s possession. His hands responsively flickered all over his empty pockets. “W-when did you get that?!”

“Oh? You didn’t see? I took it from you while dodging your flurry of punches.”

“T-that’s impossible!” he snarled. “How could I not see it while attacking you?!”

Jet ignored his question. “Warpup. Hold this bracelet for me.”

The pup blinked with awe then nodded dazedly.

Murdor could only feel the drift of wind passing him by Jet’s movement before he realized Jet had placed the bracelet in the pup’s mouth behind him. He whirled around, glaring at the pup clenching the bracelet in his teeth.

He was about to pounce on the pup, but stopped as another crackle of bone sounded off—his spine searing in pain. He coughed a roar of agony and blood while arching backwards after Jet’s fist snapped his spine in half.

“Your fun with Warpup is over. You’re playing with me now,” Jet spat. He smirked and reached around the demons neck, grabbing the front of his neck with his hand to pull him back with ferocity and slam his back into the floor.

Another yowl came from the demon as an assortment of crackles came from his spine and the fissuring stone floor.

Jet placed the demon back on its feet with his one hand on his throat, his glare demonic in its own way as Murdor screamed repeatedly in his agony. This time Jet had to speak over the loud squeals. “Murdor… You’re nothing but pure evil! You enjoy seeing others suffer… You get a kick out of people’s despair. You sicken me!”

Murdor’s screams choked as Jet began to raise him from the floor, strangling him by his tight hold. “What you did to Warpup is unforgivable. I only hope, for your sake, you’re as much of a masochist as you are a sadist.” He squeezed harder as his cold glare strengthened. “Because you’re gonna need that psyche for what I have planned for you!”

Another crackle of bone sounded off. This time, the demon’s lips curled to a smile at the sound. As it crackled, Murdor’s back seemed to straighten and the screams from the demon were soon replaced by cackles as his left arm raised up to aim the barrel of a pistol at Jet’s face, the demon’s eyes glinting with terrifying malignance.

Jet froze in shock as his eyes—wide in horror—met the tip of a pistol hiding in the demons sleeve.

“You lose,” Murdor stated with a smirk then fired his gun, the gunshot sounding off in a loud bang.





*tears up* Now that is a cliffhanger. So beautiful. So agonizing to the reader. *sniffles* I promised myself I wouldn't cry... (xD I'm going to get so much hate mail for this. If I get at least fifteen reviews then I'll continue to the next chapter, so rate and review. To increase exposure and, of course, rate and reviews, share this link with your friends and family: http://www.Writing.Com/main/view_item/user_id/jetaeroburner/action/table_of_cont...
© Copyright 2009 Joshua K. H. Murray (jetaeroburner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1575041-AnointedSetting-SunNightmares-22