*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1568305-Pegasuss-Creation
Rated: 18+ · Essay · Other · #1568305
This is an essay for Deacon Academy on the Pegasus assignment.
6/5/09

         One of the fantasy creatures is believed to be pure and beautiful as well as being full of grace. The winged horse was, in legend, completely pure it can reach the gates of Olympus on its own. The Pegasus was born from Medusa after Perseus cut of her head. The white horse had golden wings. Pegasus was gentle, anyone riding him could become a great poet. There was also the Winged Sea-Pegasus, half horse, half fish. This kind of Pegasus was like a flying sea-horse. Pegasus was a pure magical flying horse born from the death of Medusa.
         There is this legend about the origin of Pegasus. One part of the legend says that it came from Medusa while another refers it to be from Poseidon. It says Pegasus was born after Medusa was killed by Perseus. At that time Medusa was pregnant with two children. In the case that Arion and Pegasus are the same, those myths believes the origin of Pegasus came from Poseidon of when she was raped. The idea of Pegasus might have come from Egypt, the location of the ancient shrine of Orisis at Abydos held a spring called Pega. The cult may have branched off to Corinith where the sacred spring of Pirene was tended by a water-priestess called Pegae. These people wore horse-masks.
         Pegasus was considered gentle and pure. He was very graceful when he moved. He also had a lot of wisdom. Usually Pegasus was male. It was said that Pegasus could fly straight to the gates of Olympus without any problems as well. If there was a race, Pegasus was able to win. Sometimes Pegasus helped assisted the human heroes. Anyone who saw Pegasus would recognize how beautiful the winged horse was, white with golden wings, and pure too.
         There was another type of Pegasus seen in Greek and Roman art, but was also known to the Celts. This Pegasus was known as the Winged Sea-Pegasus. The Greeks and Romans had carved into walls about seeing these Sea-Pegasus. The front part looked like a horse, but the back part, starting from the wings and behind its forelegs, was scales and fins of a fish. Poisedon or Neptune often calls on this Pegasus to help create storms. Most often than not this type of Pegasus was associated with the water-folk in the Celtic Seas.
         Pegasus was the magical flying horse born from the death of Medusa. The legend of his origin says Pegasus could have come from either Medusa herself or else Poisedon. The idea possibly came from Egypt, where they called the spring from the shrine Pega. Then that idea was carried down to Corinith where the water-priestess was called Pegae. This horse was pure, sometimes assisting humans. Usually it was a male. There was also another type, called Winged Sea-Pegasus. This half-horse, half-fish Pegasus helped in assisting Poisedon or Neptune into creating storms. Most of the time they were associated with the water-folks.This material is based of the notes from Magical Mystical Creatures by D.J. Conway.
© Copyright 2009 Angelica-HappyFather'sDay! (dragonfish at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1568305-Pegasuss-Creation