*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1560983-Emotion
by Norton
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #1560983
A narrative of a character that is part of a story I am currently writing. PM me for more.
Emotion



      Sitting there staring in the sky, feeling a breeze gently caress her skin, she wondered what it would be like to have someone to hold onto to. Feel their warmth flowing through her in a heartfelt embrace. It had been such a long since she last experienced it, she’d forgotten. Time passed slowly for her, unlike most, years and even decades were ephemeral. Looking out into the bustling town she could hear their chatter and whispers, most of it seemed like noise to her but occasionally she would hear them speak about her. Rumors of her eternal youth abounded and many women spoke in envious hushed tones as their husband would praise or speak fondly of her. This only served to sadden her as they knew not what it’s like to live such long time. To live past the time of your lover, family, and friends— to see them aging while you remained young, and to watch each of them pass away slowly. Eventually, leaving only you the memory of their passing to carry on and again live in solitude.

      Most of those that actually saw her could never remember what she looked like, for anonymity was her ally. The brief moments when they spoke to her were a flicker of a candle light, providing warmth and a tangible presence briefly, before quickly fading and disappearing forever. This was part of her curse and one she had bore for countless ages. The only others whom she could share that time with, reviled her and refused to be anywhere near her, it was a blind prejudice, and one she did not expect from such a noble people. Everyone had their beliefs however, and she could not fault them for this. Closing her eyes, she could feel the hatred and misery dwelling inside her, threatening to consume her if she allowed it.

      Her sister was dead, and now the burden she had carried was passed on to her. The weight of it pulled her down and made her thoughts cloudy, uncertain. Opening her eyes she looked up and watched a group of birds fly by. The soft flapping of their wings could be heard clearly through the flowing currents of the wind and she figured the time had come to make her decision.

© Copyright 2009 Norton (blazord at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1560983-Emotion