*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1559760-Cafe-Mocha
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1559760
...the sweet Blanche lives
"It is a lovely, Julie Blanche, says out loud looking at the view outside the window. Too bad I am stuck here at the office. Oh well!"

"Did you say something dear" asked Bob.

"No, Julie answered with a smile, I was talking to myself"

"Well, are we going cuckoo, are we not?" Bob said smiling at her. She smiled back and continued with her work.

Julie had been organizing the file cabinets. There was so much paper to be filled up and filed for the end of the year. She was looking through some paper that she could not make up. There had been too many patients at the doctor's office especially now that it was the end of the year. Insurances were increasing, and the last weeks of december were like the last days for a 50 % sale in a department store. "Come and get checked out before it's too late," she thought. Julie couldn't help it but be ironic with all those little things that could make anybody get upset. Afterall, it was a lot of work.

Time passed so fast that before she knew it, it was already two o'clock.

"Have a nice holiday lovely," Bob told Julie while he was putting his coat on. Bob wasn't very handsome, but there was something about him. He had strong dark eyes that could intimidate anyone. He was sweet surely, good looking, but not her ideal of very handsome. Yet, it was great to see him everyday at the office. And yes, he had that little something that he had when he smiled, a mixture of innocence with devilness.

"Wait, Julie said, I have something for you! It is a small present, and I know we said no christmas presents but how could I not? You are such a dear friend." Julie opened the second drawer from the desk next to him and there it was a very non-traditional teddy bear wrapped up present. Bob smiled at her while raising his left eyebrow.

She put her hands on his shoulders and said, "Well, there were no christmas wrapping paper left. I had no choice but to get this one. Anyways, you always act like a kid."  Bob laughed, opened his suitcase and took a small hanna montana wrapped up present.  Julie laughed her heart out and said, "so?"

"What can I say, Bob said, it seems we went to the same store to buy wrapping paper"

Both started to laugh. Julie started to unwrap the present when he stopped her and asked her to do it on christmas time.

Julie thanked him and  then gave him a hug.

"Have a wonderful trip Bob and enjoy your holidays!" Julie said, to which he wished for her the same.

Julie continue with her filing. She had finally finished everything thirty minutes before 6 p.m. Dr. Francis and Dr. Mark had been gone hours ago. The office was so silent, she could hear her breathing.

Julie turned the radio on, and put  Jason Mraz's cd. Then, she poured some coffee on her mug and finished updating the calendar.

"I've been spending too long checking my tongue in the mirror" Julie started singing and moving her feet in tune with the music when she heard a noise. She lowered the music, and walked slowly toward the reception area.

It was Paul, the cleaning guy, on time as usual. "Oh my gosh, thank God it is you!" Julie said

"Who did you think it was Miss?" Paul answered.

"No, well, I forgot that you usually come at this time."

"Yes, and especially when you were distracted singing so well" Paul added

Julie smiled and told him that he was being too nice. She knew how bad singer she was.

"Oh, wow, it is 6 o'clock already, I' d better go. I am having coffee with a friend" Julie added

Paul wished her a good afternoon, and locked the door behind her.



It was close to seven o'clock and her date wasn't at the cafe yet. Julie was relieved she had brought her laptop with her. She could entertain herself with duties she needed to finish soon anyways.

It was kind of irritating though, she kept looking at the door everytime it was opened for the last half hour.  There was also the embarrassing moment when they had asked her for the additional chair at her table and she had said that she was waiting for somebody. The people had been nice to understand and ask somebody else for a chair. The group of friends was now leaving, and she still alone with an empty chair. 

Julie tried to only look at her laptop and forget everything around her. Though, she was going to kill Lula for sure for setting her up on a blind date who didn't show up at the end.

" I am sorry Julie...uhm your name is Julie right?" a tall, handsome, and dark hair asked her.

Julie felt her heart stop for a second. This guy had made her wait for so long, and she should be terribly mad. 'but he is so gorgeous' she thought.



"My name is William, he said,  I am a friend of Lula's. I am sorry I came so late but things got ugly at the office. I don't know if Lula told you much about me, but I am a lawyer that just started to work for this amazing firm. See, I had to deal with a client before coming here. The marriage is over, and the fights over who gets what are a nasty thing.

The first  thirty minutes of the meeting were ok. My client and his wife were finally coming to an understanding when the lady that my client is dating asked to come to the office and boy oh boy, things got uggly. The fight started, the wife was calling names to the husband's girlfriend. And, anyway I don't want to bore you, but you must imagine the rest."



Julie had been listening so attentive to what her date William had told her. "oh no, she said, I undertand. I mean, I was upset but I totally understand why you were late. I don't want to seem such a horrible person, but I have to say that I am fascinated with your story. Please do continue. I know it is bad to amuse oneself with other people's drama, but it is quite interesting this story." Julie smiled at him  with enthusiasm in her eyes. He pleased her inquiry to finish the story, and then she commented too  how of some of the patients were weird.

William had asked for a cafe mocha with whipped cream and chocolate syrup on top and a chicken panini. William insisted on Julie buying her a sandwich so much that she had finally agreed. Julie talked to William for two hours while discussing over books, politics, nature, and they had even commented on how many kids they wanted.

Finally it was 9 o'clock when in the intercom Julie heard that the cafe was closing in thirty minutes.

"Oh, wow, it seems we had an extensive talk. But, I am glad you came...I enjoyed talking to you," said Julie

"And I am glad you stayed here. I enjoyed our little discussions. Is there anything that we did not discuss," William asked her.

"Gosh, I don't know, can you think if something?" Julie replied

"Yes, but I think we should get going." William said

Julie was disappointed at his last comment. She smiled at William, put her coat on, and grabbed her purse when William took her hand and said "I can think of many more things to talk about, but I am afraid that if we discuss them all today, I won't have any excuse to maybe have dinner with me?"

Julie's face lighted up and she felt face flushing. She looked at him and with a smile said, " I would like to have dinner, but I cannot bring my laptop to the restaurant in case you are late"

They both laughed and William said, "I will make it up to you Julie. At any case, next time, our meeting will be a proper date, I will pick you at your house, meet your jealous brother, deal with your father who is holding an axe and smile for your mom who is holding the camera to take our picture."

Julie laughed and said "this is no prom night silly, and besides my mom would be the one holding the axe, and my dad the gun, my sister would be holding the camera, and my brother would be watching tv. Fair enough?"

"Fair enough," william responded.

After setting another date, William waved good-bye to Julie as she drove away her dark-blue sedan.

© Copyright 2009 Joscile (lillee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1559760-Cafe-Mocha