*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1519134-The-Maiden-in-White
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1519134
My name is Chris and this is about the time I met my wife
I was riding through town bowing my head in acknowledgment of the crowds that always come to see me whenever I enter town making it nearly impossible for me to pass. Well on this blessed day the Elven King Argoth had summoned me to his castle, for I had just helped win the battle of Rhun, and as I was on my way to the castle I saw a beautiful maiden wearing white. To this day I don't know what was so striking about her appearance that struck me dead and made me just need to talk to her.

I tried to get through the crowds to reach her but I could not and by the time I got free she was gone. Heart broken I made my way up to the Castle for my appointment with Argoth. It was the same old story bestowing honors upon me, giving me a new rank and giving me the title of Duke, big deal but that is when I saw her the maiden in white.

Argoth laughs and says "Ah yes my friend let me introduce you to my daughter Dee just come back from the eastern marches,"

Dee blushes a bright red, looking even more beautiful than before, she says with her eyes down "It is a pleasure to meet you Sir Chris. I have heard many tales about your bravery and skill with a blade but I am sure they are exaggerated greatly."

Argoth laughs his booming laugh "Well daughter if you believe the stories to be exaggerated why don't you lead him down to the practice yard."

Dee glares at her father "Fine come with me Sir Chris" putting emphasis on my title enough so that it is sarcastic.

I just stare at Argoth who just shrugs "She is high spirited but you should be able to handle her if not I'll find another future son in law"

I choke when he says this but before I can respond we both hear Dee "Hurry up SIR Chris or are you afraid of fighting a TRUE warrior,"

I glare at Argoth "You are going to pay for this my friend" Argoth just laughs.

I walk calmly out to the practice yard she has her weapons in hand already, two wooden swords meant to hurt but not kill.....usually, I shed my armor wearing just the pants I had under the greaves as padding to keep it from rubbing against my skin.

She glares at me "What took you so long SIR Chris"

I laugh "I wanted to give you a minute to rest before I kicked your ass"

"How do you plan on doing that with no weapon or armor?" she asks mockingly

"You'll see" is all I respond before she charges in with one sword coming up to hit me in the chest. Laughing I dodge grab her wrist as it flies by and I throw her to the ground and pin her the swords gone.

She looks up at me "I believe you will make a great husband" is all she says before she kisses me softly on the lips.

We lived together for the rest of our lives had many children and ruled justly and fairly. And of course every year on the anniversary of our first fight we fight again and again occasionally though I let her win.
© Copyright 2009 Fantasmo (fantasmo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1519134-The-Maiden-in-White