*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1513361-Walking-Down-Aristotle-Ave
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Relationship · #1513361
the beginning of a relationship

He was distracted. Not by the people and noise surrounding him. Not by the homecoming float he was supposed to be working on. It was her. She was in his mind and down the street. He could walk there. Yes, he could. What would he say? What would his reason be? He didn't know. He simply rose from his spot near the keg, filled his glass, and started down the driveway.
Chuck noticed his friend leaving. "Marc!" he yelled as he ran up to him. "You're not taking off are you?"
"I'm just going for a walk. I'll be back." Marc tried to walk past him. Chuck blocked his way.
"You're going to see her." Marc ignored him. "Listen man, I'm telling you…don't do it. Make her wait, sweat a little. You don't want her to think you need her or anything."
Marc looked at him. He knew what Chuck was about. He wasn't Chuck. Marc moved on, this time not stopping when Chuck's voice grew louder.
Marc had more important things on his mind. Last night had changed him and he wanted her to know that. He could see her house at the far end of the street. There was a light upstairs. She was home. He was in her direction before he realized the feeling in his stomach.
He was the type to plan everything and here he was without note cards, or an outline or even an idea of what to say. Maybe it was all that beer in his head. Or maybe it was the fact that for the first time he couldn't forget a face. Her face. Knowing he would see her soon, Marc smiled.
He saw a white rock on the ground, so he kicked it and watched it bounce down the road. A car full of girls drove past him, honking and screaming. Marc laughed but kept on moving. He took a sip from his beer. Then another. He heard music escaping from the Frat houses nearby. The sounds floated up to the trees and seemed further away than they were. He loved those huge oak trees draped in Spanish moss. He imagined climbing them to her window. "No. I'm too drunk for that. Next time." The breeze felt cold on his bare legs. It sent a chill through him.
Marc was nearing her house now. Her roommate's car was gone. She would be alone, he thought. He liked the idea of no interference between them.
He reached her front door and hesitated. He hadn't thought of anything to say yet. "C'mon, think." But he kept picturing her. He knew he couldn't stand there for too long before looking suspicious, or freezing.
He grabbed some gravel from the ground. He stepped back and threw a couple of pebbles at the lighted window. There was no response. Marc tried again. Then he saw her figure come to the window and open it.
She looked out and saw him standing there. The yellow glow of the streetlight cast shadows through the tree's branches. Confusion came over her, then excitement. "Marc, is that you?"
"Yeah, it's me." He smiled. He felt awkward and wondered if she could tell from up there.
"What are you doing here?"
Here goes… "I was just down the street, at a party… and I wanted to come see you."
"Are you drunk?"
"No. </SPAN>I'm not drunk," He smiled. "I just wanted to tell you that last night wasn't insignificant." He should've chosen his words better. That was too hard to say.
She smiled. He liked seeing her smiles directed at him.
"Do you want to come in?"
"No. I know you're studying." She climbed out onto the roof and planted herself on the edge of the window sill. Marc continued, "I just wanted you to know that it meant something. And I wanted to thank you."
"Thank me? For what, Marc?"
He wasn't sure himself. He paused for a moment, then realized, "For making me feel good again."
"I'm glad you enjoyed it."
He shook his head. "No, I'm not talking about sex."
"So you didn't enjoy it?" she asked jokingly.
"Yes, I did. I did. Very much so." He smiled. "What I mean is… it was more than that to me." He looked down at the ground, shaking his head. "I don't know. I just…" He looked up to her, "it affected me. You - affected me. I felt different with you somehow. And I wanted to tell you." He laughed. "You must think I'm crazy."
"Sometimes," she admitted, "but not at the moment." She smiled again. A strong breeze came over them. She cradled her arms to try and keep warm.
"You must be freezing," he said. "I guess I better go."
"I'm glad you stopped by."
"Me too. I'll, um…I'll see you tomorrow." He turned to leave.
"Marc!" He looked back at her. "It meant something to me too." They smiled, then Marc stepped away into the shadow.

© Copyright 2009 scarletgirl (scarletgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1513361-Walking-Down-Aristotle-Ave