*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1511607-Miss-Adrianna-Barker
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1511607
Regency short story based in the early 19th century in England
Author's Note: I wrote this for an English 11 assignment; we were to write a short story based off of one of Hawthorne's journal entries. It is set in the early 19th century in England. Please enjoy! An index is at the end to help explain some terms you may not know.


Miss Adrianna Barker


“Must the Sun shine so early?” said Mrs. Barker. The dining room was lit by a gray light dusting the windows.

All the children of the Barker family, three daughters and one son, sat themselves along the rickety dinner table; Mr. and Mrs. Barker sat at each end, meeting by a tiresome glance. Adrianna, the eldest Barker girl, thanked their cook and acknowledged a lark outside the window.

“I hear we have received news from town,” she said to her mother. “Is this true?” Mrs. Barker became lively.

“Yes, yes indeed!” Her voice shook the room. “Wonderful news, my dear! Mr. Owens comes to visit his aunt this week! He shall stay only a mile from here.”

Adrianna raised her brow. “And may I inquire why so suddenly he hastens to Derbyshire? Is Lady Bradford taken ill? For just last week, she spoke of no such event. If the Lady be well, she must be much unsettled by his sudden visit,” she observed.

“Why no, my dear. Lady Bradford is quite well.” Adrianna’s young sisters, also out in society(1), shook with curiosity. “Oh! Dear Adrianna! He comes to take your hand!” Mrs. Barker’s voice bounced lightly from her throat in grand excitement. The girls, except from Miss Adrianna, bubbled loudly, fleeing from their seats, and dancing about the room. “We shall be free of this poverty, I declare, by August!”

Miss Adrianna smiled with discreet displeasure.

Mr. Owens was a man of five and twenty years, born to a noble family, and since adulthood, had extended his finances profusely. He received five thousand a year, a most agreeable sum for any man. He was of the most appropriate matches for a daughter of the Barkers. Miss Adrianna and her family had yet to meet Mr. Owens, but had anticipated his visit, and his proposal, suggested by Lady Bradford, for quite some time.

In the afternoon, Miss Adrianna and her dear brother met in the drawing room, the rest out to Matlock.

“Are you certain you are quite satisfied with this match, sister? I can only desire your happiness in such a matter.”

“I can assure you, Leonard, that I feel no greater contentment than to supply my family with what is required.” She pressed her brother’s hand with a smile, and appreciated the blissful scenery outside the window.

“At the expense of your own freedom?” He paused, but she gave no response. “And what of Mr. Griffiths? I was so certain he would take your hand first.”

Adrianna faced her brother, smiling with solemnity at his considerate, light eyes, and healthy complexion. “Landon and I never expected to marry, for we would each have such poverty. There is no emptiness like poverty! And we both deserve lives that we each cannot offer the other.” She concluded the topic, and they discussed weather and literature until the return of their family.

Five days passed until Mr. Owens was reported to be in Derbyshire: another before he dined at Norton Park with the Barker family. The house that evening bustled in manic chatter and scurrying about rooms. Mrs. Barker attended to preparing her daughter appropriately, so she may become a desirable wife for Mr. Owens. The cook and two maids shuffled in the kitchen, preparing their most acceptable courses.

When Mr. Owens’s knock came to the door, Mrs. Barker scurried to the door; Adrianna, her two younger sisters, Leonard, Mr. Barker, and a confused maid, followed behind. Mr. Barker, presenting an open and civil smile, unlatched the door and greeted their long-anticipated guest.

“How grand it is to make your acquaintance, Mr. Barker.” Mr. Owens stepped forth into the sweet-smelling hall. His brow was smooth and his eyes dark; he stood five inches taller than Mr. Barker, a middle-sized man. His hair was auburn and his frame thin. “How grand it is to meet you,” he addressed the party. His words were swift and awkward. His eyes darted from face to face and out the window of an opposing room.

“Yes, yes; and we are most pleased to meet you. Let us have a seat in the dining hall now and enjoy a good supper.” Mrs. Barker’s cheery voice startled him. Each member of the party, the Barkers and Mr. Owens, retreated to the dining room and found their place at the table. Mr. Owens sat across from Miss Adrianna, avoiding her visage for the endurance of the meal. He had little opportunity to, for Mrs. Barker and Leonard occupied his attention with their constant conversation.

“And shall you stay long with Lady Bradford?”

“Yes; I intend to accompany my aunt till June,” the guest responded.

“Why, June! Two months? How many delightful dinners we must share!” Mrs. Barker looked to her husband. He nodded in agreement.

“I may add that my aunt intends to hold a ball next Saturday. You shall all be invited. It will be a chance for us to be more adequately acquainted.” He offered a half-smile towards Mrs. Barker, and without intent, met the eyes of Miss Adrianna. She grinned with the utmost civility. He colored, resuming his meal. The rest of the night pursued in good humor, though Adrianna came to find her due-to-be husband more awkward than she could perceive. His words were intelligent and fair, but the voice behind them was in such disarray that she found he must feel great dissatisfaction with such a family as her own.

The very next Saturday, Miss Adrianna dressed herself in the most appropriate dress her closet could provide. The neckline was modest, sleeves short, and color, a classic white. Her hair was pinned up in a slight bun, with tendrils curled about the top. Lady Bradford had indeed invited the Barker’s to her ball at Northfield Park, the Lady’s estate, and though Adrianna dreaded the prospect of it, she made herself in the most agreeable manner possible. Once they arrived at Northfield Park, the two younger girls pranced off to find suitable dance partners, and Leonard sought his loyal friends in a large drawing room. Mr. and Mrs. Barker approached the foyer with Miss Adrianna, and were graciously greeted by Lady Bradford. Adrianna went off on her private path to find Mr. Griffiths.

“Dearest Adrianna, I did not expect to find you in such a place. Are your family present as well?” Landon Griffiths smiled broadly amongst the chattering company of guests. Loud and swift music resonated around the room.

“Yes, we are all here. Lady Bradford is a friend of my mother’s, and her nephew is here in Derbyshire.”

“Oh, indeed, I have heard.” His eyes became grave and his lips pressed together. “May I request a private audience with you?” He obligingly took her hand and retreated to a less frenzied room. Various groups were seated around small tables, playing their hand at Whist and Loo(2). It was loud, but not beyond overcoming.

“What is it you wish to discuss?” Adrianna took a seat at a vacant table, and scrutinized her companion.

“I have heard news of Mr. Owens’s proposal, Adrianna. You should feel no duty in concealing it any longer.” His mouth moved with utter discretion, but his words were brisk. Miss Adrianna sat in awe for a long while.

“Landon, I never believed he would propose. My family is of too low a standard for his consideration… he has yet to ask!” She faltered. “By no means did I ever intend to conceal it.”

“Lady Bradford spoke quite confidently of your due marriage. She believes Owens is to propose tonight.” There was a long silence that proceeded. Mr. Griffiths eluded the darkening color about her eyes and loss of complexion.

“You must understand,” she whispered.

“You intend to accept him!” Mr. Griffiths shouted. “How empty your words are to me! How can you expect my consideration and support on such a matter?” His words and fierceness were hardly noticed by those of other parties, but Miss Adrianna sat perplexed. She could hardly speak, and he broke in. “How do you expect—,” but she responded immediately.

“You must understand, my dear, that I have a duty to my family. For five and twenty years my mother and father have lived in poverty! For nineteen years have I endured the life not fit for a young woman to become of any material in this world!” She took his hand with fresh composure. “I have no choice but to marry well, and here it is presented in what may be the only occurrence to ever cross my path. Can you expect me to relent to passion and discard all common sense?” Her eyes watered. Landon softened his voice.

“Why no, my dear; however long I have been hopeful, you are correct.” He mollified her with his eyes, but there was a hint of bitterness in his words. “Forgive me for burdening you so. I am afraid I must leave now. Please enjoy the endurance of the night, and forget our silly quarrels.” And there he left. Adrianna remained for some minutes at the table, recounting the dispute. A figure approached her in a swift, bouncing manner.

“May I ask your hand in the next dance, Miss Adrianna?”

“Why yes you may, Mr. Owens.” She gave a small grin and accepted his gesture to the ballroom.

“May I request one more favor?” He spoke uneasily. Adrianna offered an apprehensive glance, and he continued, “May I request you address me as Edgar. I find it much more intimate.”

Adrianna colored and replied, “Why yes, Edgar, of course.”

The night continued, and Mr. Owens neglected to propose.


In the weeks after Lady Bradford’s ball, Miss Adrianna was plagued with ill-health. However often the Barkers attended Matlock, she remained at the Park, reading extensively and taking brisk walks cross-country. Leonard tried desperately to coax her, but the absence of Mr. Landon Griffiths, and the recurring visits from Mr. Owens, left her dispirited. Never had she been so long from Mr. Griffiths, or so dissatisfied by a person as Mr. Owens.

One afternoon, as the others were out, Miss Adrianna heard a knock at the door, short and loud as before. She approached and opened it to find an anxious Mr. Owens upon her doorstep, well-colored from the cool weather.

“Mr. Owens, why have you come at such an hour? I was certain to expect you no earlier than two hours from now, at dinner. Is there some news you wish to share?” He stared blankly.

“What—Oh, why no, of course not. You see, I found myself at Northfield in earnest need of discourse, and concluded to visit early. My aunt is out and—is not your family present?” He stuttered and paced about the rooms, appalled by the sudden foolishness in his decision.

“I apologize for your misfortune, Mr. Owens. You see, I was about to take a walk about the Park.” She frowned apologetically and strode toward the door.

“How delightful. May I ask to accompany you?” Adrianna faltered. But she agreed, finding no other suitable form of civility. They enjoyed the lush scenery of the Park and conversed occasionally, though often finding no common ground upon issues of art and literature. As the hour grew later, near sundown, Mr. Owens reduced his pace to a halt and Miss Adrianna did the same.

“I have yet another favor I may request, though much more substantial than the previous,” he said in the most awkward mouth possible. Adrianna awaited his continuance. “My aunt, Lady Bradford, has long suggested my attachment to a lady since my graduation from Oxford. She believes no man is of worth without a decent wife…” He surveyed the cloudy sky and rustling trees. “And I must agree with her; no man may claim material in this world without a strong attachment to one of his opposites, bound forever in unity.” Owens knelt before her with earnest eyes and whispered, “I find you, Miss Adrianna Barker, the most suitable woman I may ever come to know for the position of my wife. You have the beauty of a fair autumn day, and the ability of the noblest madam.”

“Mr. Owens, you are too kind.” She colored.

“And you are too modest. I must ask, then, as you are my most suitable match, if you will take my hand in marriage.”

The heart of both fluttered erratically. Adrianna felt her liveliness being stripped away by the moment and the veil of her future masking over the beautiful air. Her heart longed for Mr. Griffiths. Without thought her decision was made, and her mind became a wild clutter of invariable quarrel.

“I am sorry my dear Mr. Owens; I may not accept your offer for… I fear my hand has been promised to another.”

Mr. Owens was silent. What decent countenance he had had disappeared. “You must be mistaken, madam. It was made clear you were open to accept my proposal. What profound foolery this is! How may you deny my hand? I, a most acceptable bachelor, a man of Oxford! Your family is of the lowest stature; for my very consideration! How can you offer me such ungratefulness?” He strode toward the house. “What charity I have given your parents! To ask for the hand of their eldest daughter, and without debate, grant them a higher life than ever before possible! Have you been raised to be so? Is it that incessant mother of yours, for which you inherited such foolery?”

“Indeed! Mr. Owens, I beg your continuance on such a subject, for I dearly wish to know your observations!” Adrianna’s voice reached a high, sarcastic tone before they reached the doorstep. “Why, if my mother be incessant, what say you of my father, of dear Leonard? Do you have opinions of all my family, or, perhaps, only of the females?” Adrianna now stood before the door, hardly towering over him as she stood upon the steps and he upon the earth. “My dear Mr. Owens, in the weeks we have known each other, I have found nothing but malice in your true air. Even upon the dinner we first engaged, I recognized your snobbery and judgmental ways, and new I could never be to marry such a man!”

With this proclamation Mr. Owens stalked away, and Adrianna took to her room, latching the door and dispersing what idle words had not yet been declared. An hour later, the rest of the Barker family returned, effervescent with merry spirits. Only, upon a great, ecstatic exclamation, did Adrianna remove from her room. It appeared that her youngest sister had gone upon picking up a letter placed upon the dining table. At seeing the signature, she had exclaimed.

“What is this?” Mrs. Barker demanded after reading only a sentence of the letter. Adrianna must have missed its delivery during her great spell. “You have rejected Mr. Owens proposal!” A great bustle took over the house. Miss Adrianna explained in great detail the events of the afternoon, and her mother listened with sparse attention to the discrediting of Mr. Owens, and more to the insolence of her eldest daughter.

The remainder of the night consisted of the same arguments repeated continuously; Miss Adrianna remained unchanged. The next morning she traveled by horseback to Mr. Griffiths home, only to find him away. He had gone to London, unlikely to return for several months. She returned to Norton Park by noon, and regained her proper senses by the brisk morning air. Redressing herself into more appropriate attire and priming her hair, she took the chaise(3), and traveled to Northfield Park without a word to her family.

A servant answered the door and led her to the drawing room where Lady Bradford and Mr. Owens were seated. The countenance she received from Lady Bradford need not be described; Mr. Owens showed apprehension, without outrage. Lady Bradford left them to converse and Adrianna began.

“I cannot describe the sincere folly I feel in my heart at this moment, dear Edgar. I must only say that my heart was at battles within itself upon the losing of my raw freedom. I, with no real expectation, request your forgiveness on my irreparable conduct, in exchange for my dismissal of the attacks you have made toward my family. I very willingly will retreat if you feel I deserve no such mercy, but I beg for it, for of nothing else is there worth.” Adrianna met her eyes with Mr. Owens with noticeable desperation.

For a long while Mr. Owens remained silent. Obvious perplexity waited in his wrinkled brow and pressed lips. He spoke in a voice less awkward and more stable than Adrianna had ever heard from him. “I accept your apology, while in exchange for your acceptance of my offer in marriage.” She did not falter.

“You make a most agreeable offer, Mr. Owens, Edgar.”


Thus was the freedom of Adrianna Barker ended. She married Mr. Owens in June, two months earlier than Mrs. Barker had predicted. Mrs. Adrianna Owens and Mr. Owens remained married for the remainder of their lives; Adrianna bore three children, all healthy, and all dearly loved by their mother and ignored by their father. Adrianna never remained happy but with her children; after a decade or so she grew distant from her family, even dear Leonard.

Mr. Landon Griffiths was scarcely to be heard of again, except on the once prominent gossip that he had married a very wealthy Miss Price of twenty thousand pounds. He was said to lead a prosperous life with few children. Adrianna forever dreamt of her dear Landon, and remained endlessly attached by heart. But her life remained grounded in the rooms of Longsfield Park, the Owens estate, where she forgot all family and past dreams, and lived as the wife of dear Mr. Edgar Owens.


Index

1. Out in society: in the 19th century, this meant a young lady was ready to be married, therefore going out in society actively.

2. Whist and Loo: card games

3. Chaise: a carriage
© Copyright 2009 naturesgirl (naturesgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1511607-Miss-Adrianna-Barker