*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1501074-THE-SOUND-OF-MUSIC
Rated: E · Other · Family · #1501074
What ever happened to supercalifragulisticexpealidiocious?
I think I have a genuine confession to make. I am and will forever be, in love with another woman.

Her name?

Well, she is known by the name of Mary Poppins.

As a youngster I was exposed to a considerable number of musicals and as a result I grew up to really love them.

Rogers and Hammerstein may sound like the names of some oddball scientists, or longhaired classical pianist, or even some primitive pharmacists, but in reality they created some of the most wonderful music ever heard.

Who can forget the great songs in Oklahoma, or Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, or Mary Poppins, or Pollyanna, or my favorite, The Sound of Music, and so many-many more? I often find myself humming some Mary Poppins tune on my way to work because it makes me feel good inside and makes me want to smile at the whole world.

And, when you combine these two incredible artists with Walt Disney Studios, endless wonders abound.

Wouldn't it be great to have a mother like Mary Poppins?

This is a question I asked myself numerous times as a youngster, and as I got older the question turned to, wouldn't it be great to have a wife like Mary Poppins?

Of course, we all grow up and realize that life cannot be as simple and as happy as Mary or Pollyanna or Tom Sawyer or even Peter Pan made it to be.

Then again, why couldn't it be?

The great message that these wonderful musicals try to spread to all of us is none other than The Golden Rule, love thy neighbor as thyself.

There's nothing difficult about that is there?

Of course if we let jealousy, greed, hypocrisy, anger, hate, envy, and the other bad things control our every day lives, it becomes very difficult indeed.

If our idle time is consumed with violent movies, get rich quick schemes, sexual fantasies, ad nauseam; are we not reaping the fruits of our bad labor?

It is said that an idle mind is the devil's workshop.Why not fill it "With the Sound of Music?"

Next time you are down in the dumps, or feeling down-under, or just plain bored with everyday things in general, go to the video store, and instead of heading for the latest and greatest action/blood/gore movies, head for the lonely section marked Walt Disney and pick up a good musical like South Pacific or a wonderful one like Bed Knobs and Broomsticks, and set back with a cup of good hot tea and relax.

I'll bet your kids (of all ages) will join you in no time!

Even macho-man may unobtrusively join in the fun.

And, it certainly wouldn't hurt your friend (whatchamaycallit) to learn a thing or two from Pollyanna.

(By the by, as the English say-I did marry my Mary Poppins.)
© Copyright 2008 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1501074-THE-SOUND-OF-MUSIC