*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1494878-Im-Still-Here
by Clary
Rated: E · Short Story · Ghost · #1494878
Sad Yet slightly romantic short story
The noon sun shone through the open window, highlighting a trail of dust which floated lazily in the damp, humid air. Boxes of toys lined the small room, covered in webs that seemed to hang from nowhere, clinging desperately to any surface they could. A boy sat amongst the clutter, his legs dangling casually from the tall stack of newspapers he was splayed over. He seemed weightless, perched on his tower of aged paper like a prince looking over his future kingdom. Except instead of winding streams, green hills, and darkened forest his eyes saw something more sweet.

Her hair moved like ebony silk, touching caressingly against her face. As she turned to view the room it flowed like water, its straight smooth surface cascading down to the elegant curve of her back. The boy felt his breath quicken. He sat up straighter, unable to remove his hazelnut eyes from the familiar beauty that stood before him. He stared at the paleness of her porcelain skin, the delicate shape of her full rose lips. Those lips that glistened as though begging to be touched by his. Intelligence shined in her bright ocean eyes along with innocence and the ignorance of his presence. An angel in faded denim jeans.

She finally found what she was looking for. With long delicate fingers she picked up a small frayed teddy bear and hugged it close, clenching her eyes shut to trap the tears that had begun to form as memories flooded into her mind. She blinked quickly, letting out a loud sob as tears escaped and cascaded down her cheeks. Sorrow filled her watery eyes. The boy looked at the teddy bear. His teddy bear. He remembered his joyful childhood in the attic with a beautiful black-haired girl. The girl had been so happy. So had he. The boy leapt from his cheap throne, landing soundlessly on the wooden floor beside his friend. Love shone in his ghostly eyes as he reached out and gently touched her creamy face. The girl shivered at the chill. Her eyes searched the room and saw nothing.
“I’m still here,” The boy whispered soundlessly, “I will always be here for you.”
© Copyright 2008 Clary (claryr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1494878-Im-Still-Here