*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1494400-Angel-Alone
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1494400
A work in progress that is stuck. Its just somethnig that just happened.
I woke up alone. I figure thats why I turned out this way. The sun was setting and I was on the stone steps of a mausoleum. Laying disregarded like an old banana peel left for the flies. There were no flies, but it was cold. And I was alone. Very alone. And hungry. Thats the last thought I remember. That bittersweet hunger. For blood.
I regained myself standing in my home. What I once considered home at least. It was all dark. My mother was the only one who would have been home. My elder sister had run off when i was young to marry a man my aristocrat mother refused to allow her to marry. I was the dark child, my sister the favored. And my father, well, I don't know what happened to him, just that I never met him. I came back to consciousness standing over my mothers dead body. Her throat was ripped open. Her blood soaked the pristine white sheets. It was strangely beautiful. Her eyes were closed. She never knew she died. Pity, as even before I woke on the stone steps I had contemplated her death. Watching as her daughter took the only thing she had left. Her life. I sat straddling her. My pale arms and hands on either side of her head and blood soaked hair. It clung to my arms. That disgusted me. So I stood and moved to the side of the bed. Thats when I tasted it. The sickly-sweet metallic taste of blood. In my mouth. My jaw hurt, and I realized I had two pointy fangs. I think thats when I began to understand what I had become. Only, I couldn't remember how. How I had become this way.
I was later told by those wiser than me, that when confused vampires often return to somewhere less confusing. Home for me. Though I had never enjoyed the place, it had been my only place to go. No friends or lovers. I had led a pathetic and lonely human life. And I started my next in the same manner. Very much alone, I continued to my room, my one place of refuge to change my blood covered clothes. I packed a small bag of things my still somewhat human mind though I couldn't live without. A diary of dark poems, a necklace I had stolen from the attic, from one of the few boxes of things my mother kept of my fathers, and a katana I had found in the same box. Of all the other things I packed only the katana and necklace stayed with me through the many years. Funny, as I still never met my father. I don't suppose now I never will. If he didn't die young, then he was most certainly dead now. No one I once knew is still alive.
Its a lonely thought. To be alone in a world of humans who grow old and die. And I myself, always aging but never looking beyond 21 years old at best. I have found others, like myself. And I have never met the one who created me. I still do not remember what happened that night. Only that I woke and left all I knew behind with no more than my mothers money and bag full of junk.
I went and wandered for many years, living only to wake each night and sate an unstable hunger for the humans blood. Many years, I know not how many I spent alone thinking only of the kill. Then, one night while hunting, I found another like me. She taught me a great many things. How to feed off humans without killing them or causing them pain, how to keep my clothes clean of blood, and how to find others like me. She left me after her teaching was complete, but I now had had a taste of companionship. And my lonely heart knew I had to find the others.
So I searched. It took a few more years, but at the time it didn't seem long. The humans fell prey to me, and woke the next day with strange marks and a few pints of blood missing. They conveniently forgot the nights events and went on with their life. At night I traveled. Feeling a pull deep inside me. I didn't know what I was following but I traveled on. But when I came across a city full of night life and other pale creatures lurking the human filled streets, I knew I had come home.
The first person I met was a man, turned at approximately the same age I had been. He recognized me as a new creature immediately and took me under his wing. He showed me that some humans would do anything to be feed off of. And that living here, I would never be hungry or alone. He kept me close for a few years. The both of us feeding off each others company. My heart began to ease. Then, the hunters came.
I was still young, I do not remember the night of the attack much more than a hazy fog of screams and pain. I escaped at the expense of my companions life. I remember him standing in front of me, pushing me through the back door of the place we shared. His face screwed up funny, as if he knew he wouldn't make it. He kissed me then, for the first time. "Don't be alone." He whispered and pushed me forward. Thats when the stake's point came out of his chest. I ran.
I woke again on the stone steps of a mausoleum. Again I didn't remember getting there. And again I was alone. For a long time I forgot to not be alone. I continued my life much as I had as the last time I woke on the cold steps in a graveyard. I didn't remember the attack, I didn't remember my companion, I didn't remember anything but that I had to drink human blood. For the first few years I even forgot not to kill. Slowly it came back to me. And when my aimless wandering brought me back to the town. The moment I crossed into the busy night streets I remembered everything. I hadn't realized vampires could cry. But I did. And as I cried I ran. There were no vampires here. Though a few decades had passed and the hunters were gone, no one had returned.
My loneliness took on a new fury in my heart. I wanted to vengeance for myself and those who had died, but there was no one to take the fury out on. And many innocents died that night. Though, I don't remember killing many people of the town, I came back to myself running through the woods as I had the very night the hunters attacked. The humans were behind me but I ran faster than the mob and was quickly away from the survivors.
My vengeance wasn't sated. It clung to my heart like my hunger. But afraid I would kill more innocent lives I lived without human blood. Instead choosing to barely survive off animal blood. It wasn't enough. But I survived, until the day the teacher showed up again. She took one look at me and seemed to know all. A strange smile crossed her lips as she gazed upon my pitiful persona.
"You are ready now." She whispered in a voice my ears barely heard. My diet of animal blood had severely limited my minds powers. I lived off mostly instinct. Her words only confused me. But her smile was reassuring. And her outstretched hand inviting. So I took her hand and left with her. I'm not sure how long we traveled, but for a time she brought me blood, refusing to allow me to hunt. My mind slowly came back, as if waking from dream. We continued north through snow storms and fridged air. It hardly touched me.

© Copyright 2008 Silver Gage (silvergage at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1494400-Angel-Alone