*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1487339-Locked-in-a-Closet
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Teen · #1487339
I was locked in a closet the first years of my life. This is my story.
I remember the closet very well, even though I was only there until the day I turned six years old. They found me on August 16, and I was about six, and so that's what my birthday is even though the chances of that being correct is a billion to a half of one.

My mother and father, Bill and Sandra, never really wanted me. And I wouldn’t be to happy if I got pregnant with a baby at barley fifteen, but I wouldn’t lock my kid away in my apartment closet like they did.

I only know my parents names. I never saw their faces, except for when I was born, which I don't remember of course. I was in the closet for six years, maybe more, however, so I’ll always remember it.

It was packed with boxes and stuff, so that was my bed. My blanket was a dirty dog pee smelling ripped quilt.

Before I go on, I need to say something. Or type, since I cant speak. I'm mute. I was in silence for six years. It was like being a caveman! Think about it:

You never spoke to anybody in your life, it was always dark, and so what did I do?

I made up my own words.

Ill never be able to talk. I can read and write and that took another six years. I'm still learning now. What's funny is that most people can talk better then they can read. That's why my words are so simple. And I don't know sounds. I know waves in a conch shell and the pitter-patter of rain, but all my life, I don't know what words on paper are when said out loud.

I am smart. In fact, I've been told I'm a miracle.

I can do all of this even after all those years and I beat many disabilities. My real parents messed up my head and stuff. I don't know how, but from a physical exam I've been told I diffidently wasn’t born being retarded. I was born with ADD, though, but a lot of people have that.

I know this is short but this is all I remember. I just wanted to say that if you cant talk, your not dumb. In fact, I think people with disabilities like me, people who are still going strong and surviving them, are probably the smartest people there are.

Also, I have suffered from being underweight. They didn't feed me very much. When they found me, I weighted forty-two pounds. As a six year old! And as a result of the closet, as I call it, I also have claustrophobia.

That's all I really know.
© Copyright 2008 purpleflame (purpleflame at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1487339-Locked-in-a-Closet