*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1474294-Heart-Broken
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1474294
a short stroy about a womens world after her fiancee mysteriously disapears
Heartbroken


Isabels heart was broken. Her fiance Luke had been missing for Three days now. Her life was perfect, just five months away from marrying the man of her dreams, but now it had all changed. Thursday, after he had gotten off of work he had called isabel to ask her if she needed anything from the city before he got on the train home. That was the last time she had talked to Luke, her last words to him being "I'm so excited I cant wait!" They were talking about a trip to the Bahamas they were going on in two weeks to celebrate their four year anniversary of the day they had met. To them it was the most celebrated and important day on the calendar, even Christmas took second chair to this day. Many of their friends, even strangers, had told them they have never seen two people so in love before. Now, three days after he had disappeared, after all the interrogations from the police and meeting with friends and family of theirs, she was alone. It was the first time since his disappearance that she had been alone in their apartment. She had closed the door, set down her purse, sat on a stool then she felt it.
Isabel could actually feel her heart breaking as she sat there on the wooden Ikea stool, head in her hands as she started weeping and praying. He was gone, no trace of what had happened to him, no reason for this to happen to such an kind man, nothing. When he failed to return home after work she had started worrying. She started calling him over and over just to have his cell phone go straight to voice mail. she thought maybe his phone had died. 3 hours after he should have been home she had started calling all of his friends, his office, his parents to just here the same thing," I haven't heard from him, maybe he missed his train?" Isabel knew there was no way he missed the train, and if he had he would go through hell and high water to get a hold of her to let her know, especially if it would make him three hours late to come home. Six hours after Lukes normal return time, she decided to call the cops. They came out to her house soon after to take her statement. She told them everything, from their last conversation all the way to the present time. The cops got a photo of him, it was one of Isabels favorites, she hoped maybe it would bring some good luck finding him. Before they left they asked her if she still hadnt heard from him in 24 hours to come down to the station. She saw them off, wrote Luke a note on where she would be if he were to show up, and went to stay with her Mom.

Isabel, needless to say, did not go to work on Friday. She bareley moved. Just sat with her family, trying to get her mind away from her increasingly growing stress. She had a death grip on her phone, checking it at least every fifteen miutes (to her it seemed an enternity) to make sure she hadn't missed a call from him. After all day of crying with his family over the phone, crying to her own family in person, and just crying to her self in private, she got dressed to accompany her mother down town. They were heading to the police station. As they drove through town Isabel kept a keen eye on the streets just hoping to see him somewhere. She had driven trough the city countless times and never did it seem to be going in slow motion like this before. She paid attention to every face she saw on the busy sidewalks, hoping against hope to see Luke walking down the street.
In the police station it was the same thing, every face was quickly analyzed by Isabel to see if it belonged to the one thing she could not take her mind off of. The detective assigned to the case met with Isabel and her mother and seated them in a confrence room away from the hustle of the police station. He came back in with his partner several minutes later and let Isabel know everything they had done up to that point. They let her know they had investigated the train station where he had last been known to be and found nothing that would suggest his whereabouts. Several hours later after all the questions and inquiries had been asked by the detectives she was shown the way out. The head detective had given Isabel his personal number so she could reach him if she hears anything at all from Luke. On the way home she didnt say a word, she was still twirling from the relentless barrage of questions from the two detectives. One word stuck in her mind like a nail in wood though, a word for the past 24 hours that had kept creeping in her head but she easily squashed untill it was said aloud. "Affair." As soon as her and her mother returned home she went upstairs to go to sleep. Isabel asked her mother on the way upstairs "Do you think luke would run off with another girl?" Her Mom smiled at her and just said "Never, you two are perfect for each other" As Isabel lay she thought about how punctual and honest Luke is and started feeling guilty for the thoughts she was having on top of the other thoughts of where he might be, which were much grimmer. She then wept until she drifted off to an uneasy sleep.
"Where are you" Isabel whispered through her tears as she sat on her Ikea stool in her now very empty kitchen. She had still heard no new news from the detectives, and was going crazy about the statistics of missing persons found alive in the city that the detectives for some reason found necessary to share with her. She stood up from her stool and walked to the living room. Like a zombie Isabel slowly made it to her couch where she sat and stared at the wall adorned with pictures of her and Luke on the various trips and outings they had gone on. They looked so happy in all their photos, Isabel had been told by many people that she was very beautiful and photogenic, but she thought she looked best with Luke in the photos right next to her. Isabel was in fact a very attractive women. Dark hair and fair skin, small frame, she would catch eyes where ever her and luke would go. Luke was also a handsome man, causing girls to flirt with him often at bars that He and Isabel would frequent, but she didn't mind. She trusted him and her own beauty to keep his eyes on her. The truth was Luke would never even give another women the satisfaction of him checking her out or send wrong signals, Isabel was more then enough women for him, and he always considered himself the luckiest man on the planet to have such a perfect women love him. Staring at all the photos through her bloodshot eyes, Isabel thoughts were racing through all the times and memories of Luke. She barely got the words through her quivering lips "Lovely couple"
Isabel had met Luke 4 years ago, it was love at first site. Her friend was going to a birthday party for another friend at a bar in the city, so Isabel decided to tag along and go out. At the party is were she met Luke. He was best friends with the birthday girls boyfriend. They introduced them selves to each other and went separate ways. There were plenty of faces and attendees to the party, it was not at all an intimate quite setting. Most certainly wasn't love at first site for Isabel and Luke as well. It wasn't until later after the party had been underway did they actually feel the spark between each other. Neither of them could remember why they actually started talking, but when they did they hit it off in a big way. Soon their vision was locked, everyone else didn't matter as they just talked through out the night. Strangers would bump into them and start up some conversation, asking them how long they had been together. Strangers telling them they looked so in love, a lovely couple. It came to the point that Isabel and Luke where telling complete strangers they met that the had just got married and where leaving on their honeymoon the next day. Not one person disbelieved this because to the unaware, they looked absolutely in love. One patron of the bar even offered to take a picture of them, then took down Lukes E-mail to send him the photo. It was an amazing night for these two strangers, the kind they thought would never happen to them, the kind they never wanted to end. All Isabel could talk to her friend about on their way home was the man she had met, she was grinning from ear to ear the whole time she was talking about him. She could still feel his face against hers, his lips on her lips, a feeling she had never experienced. She could close her eyes and still feel his face touching hers, it was incredible. Isabel could not get her mind off of this wonderful man she had met, and she never again could. Especially now that he had been missing for three days and hopes of ever feeling his lips against hers ever again were starting to fade with every passing moment.

Sitting alone... she couldn't take it anymore. Isabel snapped, she wanted luke on the couch with her now, it wasn't fair that he was gone and she didn't know where. She couldn't take it anymore, she started getting mad.
"Why god, why are you doing this do me, what did i do, why did i meet him just to have him leave like this!" She screamed at the top off her lungs at the ceiling. She leapt off the couch and started ripping all the framed photos off the wall and throwing them as hard as she could. She couldn't tell what she was doing or where this anger inside her had come from. She felt like a different person, she pushed over a book case containing books and memorabilia from their past times together. She just kept working in her fit of rage that had washed over her until the entire living room was a trash heap of its former self. She had made quite the ruckus in the wake of her destruction. Standing there with a blank stare, panting, she collapsed to her knees and bawled. She didn't even have time to admire the carnage in her living room she had created before the door came kicking open with cops filing into the apartment, guns drawn."Heather White, you are under arrest, lay down on your stomach and put your hands behind your head!"

"Where did they say the found her?"
"In a mans apartment she had broken into, he had seen her following him home the past several days so he called the police before leaving town. The description he gave matched the one we had given the cops about the escapee."
"Was she trying to do him like the other ones?"
"Yeah, the found all the same things as the other ones, rope, knife, all of it"
"Lucky guy" The two orderlies of the Shady Acres Institute of the Criminally Insane had been talking back and forth as they made sure the large' but very sedated Heather was strapped tight to her bed. It was the second time Heather had escaped, but this time there was a much happier ending for the guy that she had set her sights on.
"Crazy bitch hunts 'em, makes up her entire fantasy world that she lives in with these strangers. Waits for them and ties them up, makes them call her Isabel, pretends there married or whatever, then kills them. He would have been number five if he hadn't called the cops before he went out of town on business, lucky is an understatement, the dude is blessed."
"Yeah, should just put her out of her miseray, i heard she went crazy and trashed his place, she never did that in the previous ones?"
"Who the hell knows, but shes strapped down tight and flying high as a kite, lets get out of here."
Alone again, strapped down so she couldn't move even when the drugs wore off, she was weeping in the dark. Isabels heart was broken.
© Copyright 2008 DuffBomber06 (duffbomber6 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1474294-Heart-Broken