*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1450169-Seeing-It-Through
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1450169
Maggie must decide to see it through with Trevor or leave him.
I sat there like an idiot. I didn't speak or move. I dare to say I didn't even blink. Suddenly the familiar Chevy pick-up truck felt uncomfortable and I could have sworn someone had taken a vaccum to the air around us. I fumbled around and finally found the button to roll my window down. I gasped the air like someone recovering from being strangled.

"Maggie, please say something," Trevor begged. His eyes were wet and briming with tears he would never allow to fall from their current resting place. I had never seen him like this. He never cried and his hair was always well-kept. This time it appeared to me that he had continually ran his fingers through his hair without remembering to brush it for a few days. "Maggs, I'm sorry," he added when I didn't honor his plea. I was still searching for my voice.

"Who was she?" I finally asked. I was so calm that I even surprised myself. I should have been throwng a chair or something.

"I don't know," he replied.

"How can you not know? You made out with a girl that was not me. What was this girl's name?" I asked in an even tone.

"I-I her name was Nicole. I don't know her. She's just some girl that I made a stupid mistake with. I'm so sorry, Maggie. I love you. I understand if you can't forgive me. You deserve better. It won't happen ever again. I'm so sorry." The words poured from his mouth like water from the spout. Even though I was just told that he cheated on me, I felt nothing. Not a single thing. I wondered for a moment if that meant that I didn't care. That thought went away the minute I pictured my Trevor with his hands and lips all over some other girl.

"Was she pretty?" I asked. As if that mattered. I was just stalling because I knew that the fate of the relationship rested in my hands and I had no idea how to handle it.

"No, baby, no you are the most gorgeous girl in the wold. I was just weak. We were having problems and I crumbled. I'm so sorry."

I looked at him for a second and really saw him as he was right then. He looked like a man who had gone without sleep for days. He looked deeply troubled and I actually felt sorry for him. My heart was broken and I felt sorry for him. It wouldn't be eas to imagine my life without him but I knew it would be anything but easy to keep this relationship after this.

"I'll just get my things and save you the trouble," Trevor said. He dropped his head into his hands and I thought he really was going to start crying.

"Stop it. I haven't said anything yet," I said. I knew I had to make the decision. Everything told me that I should cut and run. This was the time that I deeply wished I was not the indecisive type. We sat in tense silence while I mentally battled myself. Stay and work it out or leave. Stay and work it out or leave. I knew wht I wanted but I didnt know for sure that it was the right thing.

"I won't be able to trust you for a while and I will want to know whenever you are going to be around other girls without me," I said. He looked up at me in surprise.

"Does that mean-"

"I want to work this out. It's going to take time but I love you and I'm willing to try if you are," I said.

"Oh, Maggie, Baby.Thank you. I love you."

"It's going to take time. I need to know for sure, without a doubt that this is never, ever going to happen again," I told him.

"It won't. I swear to you."

I leaned over and gave him a kiss on the cheek. I was resolved to seeing this through. I would give it another chance. Everyone makes mistakes at some point.

"It better not, I only give one second chance," I said as he held me tightly. He pulled back and looked into my eyes. He didn't have to say anything. I knew it was going to be okay.
© Copyright 2008 Malin Austen (littletoot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1450169-Seeing-It-Through