*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436850-Oddity
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Sleeve
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1436850
The Delusions of Dee.
Dee woke up and his head was pounding incredibly. The dome of his skull was being completely battered by hot waves of pain. He had fallen asleep without removing his clothes, and they were wrinkled, smelly and awkward on his body. He felt the incredible need to take a shower, but a powerful sensation over took him.
Dee felt time leaking out of his fingers as he stood up from bed. He stared wide-eyed at a patch of sunlight that spilt from the window. It was flickering on and off in rapid psychotic glances. The universe spilt in and out of itself and dimensions collided amongst each other. Dee raised his hands to his fragile chest and felt the beating heart inside him. It was beating once every decade, and it was eternal. Dee had stepped out of time and it was flowing incredibly fast without him.

He wandered into the kitchen, which was lit up with the flashing, rushing passage of time. It was silent except for the gentle ringing of an ice cream truck moving. Dee felt alone, plastic and full of electric life. He almost giggled but resisted the temptation. He gazed out at the flashing earth. In the bright sunlight outside, Kay stood in the centre of an idyllic green field. He saw Dee in the window and smiled brightly. Dee's stomach twirled peculiarly, for it had been so long since Kay had smiled that brightly. He knew that Kay was sensitive about his teeth. Dee's gave a wave and played with a strand of hair, for he had always felt strangely about him. Dee's ran to the front door of the house.

Kay still stood on the front lawn, but he wavered a bit. Then his smile vanished, and his face went grey. The wind of life was knocked out of him and he began to crumble and decay. Dee flailed and stumbled towards the front door towards him. Kay's hair grew long, like spider legs out of his head. Then it turned grey and disappeared. His back bent forwards and his limbs twisted and gnarled. His face sank and wrinkled and his teeth fell. Then his heart withered and Kay died. The skin fell away from his bones and he collapsed into the grass.

Dee reached Kay, but he was a scant skeleton. Dee reached out for the bones, but from retracted in horror. Dee stood up and realized he was not sad. Since he was outside of time, he must learn to not love the mortal, and Kay was the most mortal thing he had known. Dee watched as a tree sapling sprouted up and grow at an incredible rate. Its limbs grew outwards and higher, and pierced the windows of the house, and snaked inside the room where Dee had slept. He looked down at Kay. His bones were dust now. He scooped a pile of Kay's ashes and bent beside a stream that ran beside the road. He threw the dust into the river, and it floated away in the quick tide. Dee watched as the flowers and trees along the bank drank up the river water and Kay's ashes. First the flowers withered and turned grey, then the trees drooped over and died. Then, whole meadows of grass turned grey as ashes and a terrible stench of rotting vegetation entered Dee's nose. He bent over and picked up a crystallized flower, and plucked a diamond petal. A thousand ghosts flew from the petal and into the atmosphere. Dee smiled.

© Copyright 2008 Sleeve (sleeve89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436850-Oddity