*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436674-Into-Everlasting-Darkness
by Letb
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1436674
While waiting for her brother to come home, a young woman fights for her life.
Into Everlasting Darkness


         She jumped as the thunder clapped, it sounded like it was right on top of the house. She chided herself, even as she was trying to slow down her heart, which seemed to be trying to escape through her chest. The storm had come up suddenly, and Shelia found herself alone in the house. That's alright, Greg will be home any minute, Shelia told herself, and decided to read a book until Greg came home. Shelia Jones lived with her brother Greg, ever since their parents were killed in a car accident. She was 14 at the time of the accident, and couldn't believe it had only been five years. She was thankful that Greg, 21 then, had decided to take her in, instead of sending her away to live with relatives. She wouldn't have survived.

         Shelia jumped again when the phone rang, having just settled down in a brown wing backed leather chair with a romance book. She placed the book on the floor, then went to answer the phone.

         "Hello," Shelia said.

         "Shelia, it's Greg." the voice on the phone replied.

         "Hi Greg, I was beginning to worry, where are you?"

         "Listen, sis, I'm going to be a little late. It's raining hard here, and I'm a little nervous about driving in this downpour."

         "That's okay, it's not raining here yet, and I understand you not wanting to drive home if it's raining. Anyway I was just about to start reading a book, so I'll be fine. Be careful, and come home as soon as you can."

         "Are you sure you'll be alright?"
         "Yes, I'll be fine. Don't be such a worry wart."

         "Okay, I'll see you when I get home."

         "Okay, drive safely, bye."

         Shelia hung up the phone, wishing she had insisted that he came home, she really hated storms, and didn't like being alone during one. Stop being such a baby, you'll be fine until he gets home,she told herself. Maybe if she went to the kitchen and fixed something to eat, then she might feel better. Shelia opened the kitchen cabinets, looking for something to fix, when the phone rang again. "Who could that be?" Shelia wondered aloud, while she went to answer it.

         "Hello." Shelia said.
         "Prepare to die, Shelia." answered a raspy voice.

         "Excuse me." Shelia remarked, thinking she had heard the voice wrong.

         "I said, prepare to die, Shelia." replied the raspy voice.

         "This isn't funny, who is this?" Shelia demanded.

         "This is your judge, jury and executioner, ha ha ha ha ha." Then the phone went dead.

         Shelia was shaking uncontrollably as she hung up the phone. She couldn't believe someone just called and threatened her life, and while she was wondering who the raspy voice could belong to, the lights went out. At that exact moment a flash of lightning brightened the sky, illuminating a figure in the kitchen window. Sheila screamed as fear closed around her heart and she ran to the back door. After making sure it was locked, she ran to the front door, locking it too. She turned around, and was leaning against the door when she felt it give under the weight of something very heavy. Whoever she had seen in the window was trying to break in. Shelia ran to the back door, hoping to escape. She was shaking so bad that she had trouble unlocking and opening the door. She heard the front door shatter just as she got the back door open.

         The house wasn't a large one. It was one story, with three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a diningroom and kitchen. The house was twenty miles north of town, and the nearest neighbor lived five miles away. There was a wooded area behind the house, that led to a small pond, another wooded area, then a house. Shelia figured if she could make it through the woods to the pond, then maybe she could escape into the other wooded area, and make it to the neighbors for help.

         She could hear someone crashing through the house, screaming her name, but she kept running. She couldn't believe this was happening, and she  wondered,  who's trying to kill me? Then she thought, I wish Greg was here.

          Shelia finally made it to the edge of the woods, but could hear her pursuer close behind her as she started running toward the pond.

         "Leave me alone." Shelia screamed behind her, but she could tell the figure was closing in on her fast. At the same time she made it to the pond, she was tackled. As she was turned over to her back, Shelia started flaying her arms and legs. She heard her name, and instantly realized it was Greg. She grabbed him around the neck, crying and shaking all at the same time. Greg held her close, rocking back and forth, assuring her everything was going to be alright.

         "Greg, thank God it's you. Someone called after you did, and said that I had to die." Shelia blurted out as soon as she got control of herself, then something dawned on her. She pulled back and looked at Greg. "How could you be here, you're suppose to be in town?"

         A strange expression crossed Greg's face, then he broke into a wide grin. "You figured it out have you?"

         "It was you?"

         "Yeah, I called both times, I used my cell phone."

         Shelia's eyes widened as she whispered, "why?"

         "Do you know what day it is?" Greg asked.

         She thought hard before answering, "yeah, it's the fifth anniversary of our parents death."

         "That's right, but it's also the day I'm going to kill you."

         "Why, what did I do?"

         "Five years ago, our parents were going out to eat. You were suppose to be with them, but you decided to stay home. When they left the restaurant, heading to a movie, someone ran them off the road. I've always wondered why you weren't with them. It's your fault their dead."

         "I wasn't with them because I was sick. I begged them to stay home with me, but they decided to go anyway." Shelia explained.

         "You should have been with them, you should have died too. I've waited five years, now tonight I'm going to put things right."

         "Greg, you're crazy, even if I had been with them, it doesn't mean I would have died too. Please, let's talk about this."
         Greg jumped up off the ground, dragging Shelia to her feet. "No! I've made up my mind, so it's senseless to fight me."

         Shelia could see the madness in his eyes, she started feeling scared again and didn't know what she could do to snap him out of it.

         "Greg, think about what you're doing, how are you going to explain it to the police."

         "I've got that figured out too, you see, after I kill you, I'm going to kill myself. I can't wait to have the whole family reunited."

         Shelia struggled, but Greg was too strong. As he dragged her near the pond, Shelia knew nobody would hear her scream, so she did the only thing she could, she kicked him in the leg. He let go, but only momentarily. Shelia tried to run, but he caught her again. Greg pulled her to the pond, and as he dragged her in, it started to rain. He said, "Shelia, I know you don't believe me, but I'm doing this for your own good."

         Her mind was racing, trying to figure a way out, but she knew it was useless. Greg pushed her head underwater, holding her tight to keep her from struggling. As the darkness closed around her, she decided maybe he was right, and wondered how long before Greg joined her. She wanted to see her parents again, too, and held onto this thought as she was plunged into everlasting darkness.
© Copyright 2008 Letb (animefan61 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436674-Into-Everlasting-Darkness