*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1427468-My-Final-Story
by duva
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Dark · #1427468
write a story in the past tense starting: "I yawned, rubbed my eyes, looked around, and".
I yawned, rubbed my eyes, looked around, and realized I had no idea where I was. I tried to remember the events of the previous night, but everything was a blur; thoughts and images were jumbled together, different people and places, all were a mystery to me. As I tried to gather my surroundings, I felt the push of cold metal against my temple and heard the click of the hammer being pulled back into place. Then it all came back to me in a rush, nothing specific, only vague ideas. Flew into Vegas, city of sin, and went straight into the casino. The night was full of drunken, empty happiness, as my life savings were being blown away into the pockets of the people whose only job was to take it away from me. Being the fool I was I didn't realize until it was much too late. With only a hundred dollars left to my name and a mind full of false confidence, I took the biggest risk I ever had, and ever would again. Desperate for one last hope, I found a loan shark, promising him the fifty thousand by the morning, greatly overestimating my abilities. I went back to the place of sorrow, and placed it all down at the roulette table. Taking my life into my hands, I gave myself a forty-eight percent chance of saving myself by placing all fifty grand on black. I thought it was the best odds I could give myself. I should have realized that life always stacks the odds against you. As the wheel began to spin, I began to regret it all; the lies, the drugs, the corruption, the cheating. All the guilt pounded down upon me as the wheel still span its eternal journey straight into the depths of hell. I wanted out, out of this place, out of my skin, out of this painful reality. I thought of my beautiful wife, trusting me for twenty years, spilling tears over the thought of my betrayal. I thought of my two children, a boy and a girl just like I always wanted, wondering when their father's coming home. I thought of the places I never got to go, and the experiences I would never get to have. The wheel slowed, and I prayed for the first time to a God I never thought existed, hoping for some way that this could all turn out alright. Turns out the higher power doesn't like death-bed converts. Black, red, black, red, my mind was in agony, just wishing for the decision on my life to be made, for the wait to be over. Slower... slower... stop. The result: green, double zero. I panicked and ran, out of that place, out of the casino, out of my mind. To no surprise, as soon as I exited the doors, there was Mr. Loan Shark, and it seemed he brought a couple of friends with him. With no where to go, and with no hope left in life, I did the only remaining option, the final carnal instinct. I tried to fight. What a stupid idea. One pistol-whip to the back of my head, and that brought me to where this story started. "Any last words?" he asked, with a sly, depraved grin upon his face. "Yeah. Karma's a bitch," I responded, ready to face the cease of my existence. "Yes, that it is. Do it."
© Copyright 2008 duva (neochaos21 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1427468-My-Final-Story