*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1423823-A-Voice-in-the-Forest
by Fel
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1423823
An unexpected meeting with a fantasy creature
A Voice in the Forest

I know what you're thinking. No really! I honestly know what you have parading through that mostly empty head of yours. To be honest most people's thoughts are the same, pretty boring really. The ones that aren't boring are so mixed up or downright insane that I avoid them wherever possible.
You can't see me? Well of course you can't. If you could see me it wouldn't be half as much fun. It never is. People who see me do odd things, so I prefer to remain out of sight for a while.  Let me get to know you a little and then I will decide if you are ready.
My voice? Mmm, I wouldn't describe it as odd myself, though you are not the first to say so.  Perhaps I sound this way because I am smiling or perhaps I sound this way because this is the way you expect an odd voice in the forest to sound.

Ah, you are of course, correct. You did not speak. I did not speak either.
It usually takes much longer for a boy to notice that; I find girls are quicker, but they scream too loudly.
I don't think you will scream. I think, perhaps, you are special, I think you may be the one I am looking for.
Would you like to see me now? 
Please be sure, what is seen cannot be unseen and I do not wish to cause you distress.

So be it. Take a deep breath and prepare to be astonished.

Yes I do have big eyes, all the better to see you with!
My ears are pretty big too, all the better to hear you with!
My teeth are quite enormous, that is true.
Wait! I am not the big bad wolf; I will not eat you. Well probably not, anyway.

I do have a wonderful smile, but thank you for mentioning it. Yours is pretty good too.

Would you like a ride? Then hop on and hold tight.
I can show you wonders and miracles, but please don't ruffle my feathers.

(Word count 347)
© Copyright 2008 Fel (feljones at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1423823-A-Voice-in-the-Forest