*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1422522-ETC-547-Scholarly-Writing-Assigment
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by mbc
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1422522
ETC 547 Scholarly Writing Assigment
How has the use of technology impacted teaching and learning in the PK-16 classroom?
Melissa Carroll
ETC 547
Scholarly Writing Assignment


Abstract
There are many different theories of learning. Some of these include Constructivism, Constructionism, Cognitive Learning Theory, Social Learning Theory, Behaviorism, and possibly more. Each of these theories can be related to how we use technology in education, and each theory uses technology in a different way. Students all learn differently, and it is our job, as educators to decide which learning theory will work best for our students. Each different theory has a different effect on how content is presented to students, and how we incorporate technology into that content.

Behaviorism
Though Constructivism is the most popular learning theory today, Behaviorism dominated the educational landscape 20 years ago. Behaviorism is opposed to Constructivism. Behaviorists do not believe that knowledge and learning depends on reflection of ones thoughts and feelings, but instead they focus on external observations of relations between the observable stimuli and the responses that follow. A Behaviorist would interpret a students correct answer, such as "a" on a multiple-choice test, or a written or verbal response. This correct response would be a sign of successful conditioning and the students' success would be reinforced by good grades (Boghossian, 2006).
         If you relate the theory of Behaviorism to technology in the PK-16 classroom, students would not be required to think critically and use their knowledge to construct a model using technology, but instead be able to recite content on tests and from verbal prompts to show their learning.
Social Learning Theories
Social Learning Theory is yet another of the many theories towards technology and education. Social learning Theory explains how people learn behaviors. Learning by modeling is achieved through the transmission of information, typically provided by a teacher. The learner or observer learns by seeing the information being modeled, and then they are directed to the appropriate behavior. Learning through modeling has four prerequisites. These steps are:
Attention
Retention
Motor reproduction
Motivation
According to Social Learning Theories, individuals do not need to learn everything directly, as they learn from observing (Demirbas, 2006).
         If you relate Social Learning Theory to technology use in education, the teacher would be modeling the information using the technology, and the students would not necessarily be using or manipulating the technology themselves. Instead, they would simply be absorbing the information being provided by the teacher.

Cognitive Learning Theories
         Cognitive Learning Theories believe that the learner is in control of their learning, and that learning occurs best when the subject being learned focuses on complex, meaningful questions. It also suggests that students learn better when the information being presented draws upon prior knowledge and models powerful thinking strategies for students. Students should be able to describe their answers to the class so that all students hear different ways to approach the problem being presented (Johannessen, 2003).

Constructivism
         Constructivism is the most popular learning theory used today. Constructivists believe that students must construct their own meaning through being engaged in the content and constructing their own interpretation of the content being taught. The purpose of the lesson being taught is to trigger a student's imagination so that they want to investigate the topic more thoroughly (Juniu, 2006). They do not believe in simply testing to see if the content can be retold by answering questions as Behaviorists believe. They believe technology drives the curriculum instead of simply being incorporated into it. Instead of teachers using the technology, the technology is being put into the hands of students.
         Mindtools are something often used in Constructivist lessons. Mindtools are computer applications that facilitate learning and engage students in critical thinking activities about the content. Mindtools calculate, store, and retrieve information for students to create and reflect on patterns (Juniu, 2006). Other Mindtools are as simple as creating a Concept Map. There are many programs and online applications students can use to create these. A Concept Map enables the student to create a visual model of the content being taught, and manipulate it into something that portrays their views and understandings.

Constructionism
         Constructionism is similar to Constructivism. Both Learning Theories believe that learners are in control of their learning, and that learners should construct mental models that portray their views and understanding of the content being taught.  In Constructionism, the learner is engaged in the construction of something external or shareable. An example of a shareable model would be a computer program, a sand castle, or a Lego machine (Bruckman, 1998).
History of technology use in schools
         In the past, most Educational Technology was programmed instruction, teaching machines, computer-assisted instruction (CAI), intelligent tutoring systems and other electronic gadgetry made for teaching and learning, was geared toward an isolated student interacting with a black box, where the teacher coordinates and maintains the instruction (Venezky, 2004).
Technology has been used in the educational setting for a very long time.  In the 1970's and 1980's various forms of computer-based instruction came about, teleconferencing in the 1990's and we have used Distance Education since the 1970's. In the past they compared the emergence of television as a new medium of instruction with traditional classroom instruction, and now it is important for us to make these comparisons to determine the relative value of innovation and effectiveness of these technologies when used in education (Bernard, 2004). The comparison of the technology and the effect it could have on our classroom instruction is very important to review before implementation. If we simply threw technology into classrooms, we would not have proof that it would be effective.
Technology is forever changing, and we as a society, are constantly chasing the newest technology and are always just a step behind. It is important for us to study the use of technology the past in order to better understand what is happening in the present (Davis, 2006). According to Henrietta Shirk, "The past can frequently inform the present-it can tell us where we have been, and it can provide information upon which to make decisions about where we might go in the future. It can also give us a clearer understanding of the present (how it came to be what it is)" (Shirk, 2000).
Technology has a positive effect on classroom instruction. It allows the students a gateway to information that they cannot easily access without a computer. The computer is their gateway to knowledge, research, and communication with their peers that all can help enhance their understanding of materials being taught, and allow them to take control of their own learning. "One of the major downsides to incorporating technology into one's classroom remains the time issue" (DenBeste, 2003). Classes are only given a short amount of time to do each subject each day, and it does not leave extra time for learning about technology. It also does not leave time for trying to integrate much technology, at least not hands-on technology into your class times. It is possible to use technology in a short one hour or less class period, but it is more difficult to have the children learn how to use it on their own in most subjects in that short amount of time.

Technology in the PK-16 Classroom
         There are many different theories of how to incorporate technology into the PK-16 classroom. Each theory has its own approach of its use and effectiveness. Many of these theories came before technology use was prominent in the classroom, but each have had an impact on its use.
Technology in the classroom can be used as a tool for the presentation of information to the students, or as a tool for the students to use to create a better understanding of the content they are to be learning. Technology is a great way for students to manipulate data and make models of what they have learned to help enhance their learning. They are no longer simply being lectured to, but instead they are given an outlet to be able to convey their thoughts and perceptions of the content being taught.

So now what? As educators, it is important for us to know what works for our students. Special Education students learn differently than regular education students. Kindergarteners learn differently than High School Seniors. It is our job as educators to use our knowledge of these different learning theories to the advantages of our students. We need to incorporate technology in the way that suits their learning styles and needs, and we must do our best to tailor the content to each students needs.



References
Bernard, R. M., Abrami, P. C., Lou, Y., Wade, A., Wozney, L., Fiset, M., et al. (2004). How Does Distance Education Compare With Classroom Instruction? A Meta-Analysis of the Empirical Literature. Review of Educational Research, 74(3), 379.
Boghossian, P. (2006). Behaviorism, Constructivism, and Socratic Pedagogy. Educational Philosophy and Theory, 38(6).
Bruckman, A. (1998). Community Support for Constructionist Learning. Computer Supported Cooperative Work: The Journal of Collaborative Computing. 7, 47-86.
Davis, T. (2006). Catching the Technology Wave: A Historical Analysis of the Technological Context of the Technical Communication. Orange Journal. 4(1).
DenBeste, M. (2003). Power point, technology and the web: More than just an overhead projector for the new century? History Teacher, 36(4), 491-504.
Shirk, H. (2000). Researching the History of Technical Communication: Accessing and Analyzing Corporate Archives. STC Proceedings 2000.
Dermirbas, M. (2006). An Evaluate Study of Social Learning Theory Based on Scientific Attitudes on Academic Success, Gender and Socio-economical Level. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice, 6(2), 363-371.
Johannessen, L. (2003). Achieving Success for the "Resistant" Student. The Clearing House, 77(1).
Juniu, S. (2006). Use of Technology for Constructivist Learning in a Performance Assessment Class. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science. 10(1), 67-79.
Venezky, R. (2004). Technology in the Classroom: Steps toward A New Vision. Education, Communication & Information. 4(1).
© Copyright 2008 mbc (mbc0220 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1422522-ETC-547-Scholarly-Writing-Assigment