*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1420323-A-Soldiers-Reign
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1420323
A Story about a soldier who becomes a commander and must save his kingdom from destruction


I have fought in this army for twenty years and it has only brought victory and rewards. We had not had a defeat in seventeen years but five weeks ago we were humiliatingly defeated for the first time, we lost ninety three thousand soldiers and now face an even bigger army than the last. We have only four thousand soldiers and for every fifty enemy soldiers there are one of ours, there is no hope. We are at the battlefield in Zetharia with all of our men and are waiting for the command to run into our death.

The Commander ordered the soldiers "Soldiers, today we fight to protect our home. We fight for our families, we fight for our houses and we fight for our king. If we do not win this battle the enemies will cross over the river into Maruvia and will destroy everything you have ever known and loved. We will not accept defeat and will not stop until every one of the enemy soldiers are killed. If you are victorious you will be greatly rewarded. Fight with strength and fight with honour!"

With an ear-splitting roar the warriors charged forward. All were keen to shed the blood of their hated enemy. Our soldiers hardly got past the river before many of them were slaughtered by the enemies' arrows. Numbers were decreasing rapidly and before anyone knew it there were only a few hundred allies left. Suddenly I saw the commander get shot in the chest. I called out and ran towards the commander. "Althos, You are one of my strongest solders... You have to lead everyone out of this place and towards victory" whispered the commander. "Thousands of our men have died. We have only a few hundred left, I cannot lead them to victory" I replied. "A wise man once told me that to become victorious, you have to go through many defeats. This is just one of those defeats. You have more love and respect from the solders than I ever had and they will listen to your every command. You will be a great leader". The commander pulled off his necklace and put it around my neck. He took his last breath and at that moment his head fell to the ground. I then ordered the soldiers "Soldiers! The commander has died and has honoured me with his position. I have accepted and am now your commander. We must run from this battle to have victory in our next. Ride with me back to Maruvia and we will plan our defence!"

We got back to our hometown of Maruvia and I immediately ran to speak with the king. "Sire! We have retreated from battle and the Zetharian army are coming this way to attack Maruvia. We need to put up all our defences and get everyone we can to fight." The king replied "We can call in our field workers and I will order the allies from the next town to help us. Though, our defence is not strong enough for a huge army, we will have to send many of our archers to defend as well. Is it bad enough to evacuate the civilians?" "Evacuate them to the back gate and I will give the order to open it if needed for them to escape to the next town." I suggested as I ran out the door. I watched as the gates closed, the archers climbed the defence towers and the villagers were evacuated to the back gate. I went to speak with my soldiers who were standing near the front gate. "Men, This might be our last battle, our last chance to defend our home. Half of you defend from the outside, half of you stay and defend from the inside." We all stood quietly waiting for the enemies to arrive. It was silence...until suddenly hundreds of soldiers ran out of the forest to attack the soldiers outside of the gate. It was horrible just waiting from the inside for all the soldiers outside to die, Just listening to the screams. In a matter of minutes the gates were being attacked. Then I heard screams from behind me and remembered that all the civilians were at the back. I panicked and send half of the soldiers including me to go defend. All the civilians were killed, we ran towards the soldiers who killed them and fought with all our strength. Then suddenly we saw enemy soldiers behind us, we were trapped.

The Zetharian commander spoke "So we finally meet... the legendary commander Thalgor."
"Thalgor is dead! Your soldiers killed him and you will soon be returned the favour."
With a forceful leap the Zetharian commander angrily aimed his sword at Althos's neck.
"No soldier speaks to me like that! Away with him. Only the deepest darkest spot in the Tyvian forest will be enough to bring this soldier to fear." Suddenly an unsuspecting soldier beside Althos knocked him out with the back of his sword.

I slowly opened my eyes but all I could see was darkness. I concentrated harder and then realised I was lying on the ground facing a large egg. I got up and looked around. I was in a cave, it was very dark and I felt as if someone was watching me. I picked up the egg and it was to my surprise very heavy. I started hearing something that resembled thunder so I started walking towards the opening of the cave. I stood for a few seconds until suddenly I was knocked back. I quickly got up and reached for my sword. It was gone, they must have taken it when they left me here. The shadow was slowly walking towards me. It was around double my size and I had an idea of what it was. I quickly glanced at the egg again and jumped behind the rock it was sitting on. It was a phoenix, a powerful creature known for its healing powers and aggressiveness. Without my sword I was useless but I ran towards the entrance in hope of escaping, the phoenix blocked the entrance with its wing and gave out a loud roar. I ran towards the egg and picked it up, the phoenix immediately ran towards me. I threw the egg to the side and ran for the entrance one more time. I made it but soon as I got out of the cave I heard a deafening screech and looked back. The phoenix had become enraged with anger as the egg smashed on the ground, I kept running and came to a waterfall. I looked back and saw the phoenix, then looked down and saw the only way out. I jumped.

I woke up not remembering what happened. I noticed a man standing beside me "You were out for quite some time. I found you near the waterfall, looked like you took quite a beating." "I had to jump from the top of the waterfall, I had to get away from the phoenix up there."
"That stupid bird has been causing our village much trouble for a long time. We've been trying to destroy the egg so that once the phoenix dies that'll be the last of that."
"Well, you'll be happy to know that I broke the egg... I kind of feel sorry for the phoenix though."
"You did it!? Wow how can I repay you?"
"You saved my life remember?"
"Ah yes, the names Edmund. I am a blacksmith around these parts."
"well thanks for saving my life Edmund. You can call me Althos."
"how did you get up there anyway?"
"That's kind of a long story... but I have to get back to my hometown of Maruvia as quickly as I can, I'm sorry but I must leave."
"Maruvia? I'm sorry but Maruvia has been taken over by the Zetharian army."
"I know, I must go and get it back before it's too late"
"But how? Who are you?"
"I am Althos, the commander of the Maruvian army, Zandor and the rest of that retched army from Zetharia came and killed every civilian and every warrior that was under my command. I swore to myself I would fight till my death to get my kingdom back. Will you fight with me?"
The man nodded and said "I would be honoured to fight with the commander or Mauvia"
"good, in the morning we get more allies."

Edmund got up early the next morning to organise a group of soldiers who would go to Maruvia with Althos. "Althos, Althos! Wake up! I've got a surprise for you."
"What is it Edmund."
"Me and the rest of the army who protect Tyvia have agreed to fight under your command, if you prove to us that you have what it takes to be a commander."
"What do I have to do?"
"You will go through a series of three challenges. These will test your Strength, Courage and Leadership. If you complete all three challenges you will be accepted as our commander and we will fight the Zetharian army with you."
"What are the three challenges?"
"Do you accept or do you not? We cannot tell you what the challenges are as this alone is a test of your abilities."
"I greatly.... Accept your offer"
"We start this very moment, quickly come with me to the arena"

Edmund and I walked towards the arena. I had no idea of what I was about to face. As we got closer I started to here the shouting of the audience and the chains that were being pulled by what seemed like giants. We got to the gates which were taller than any dragon or giant I had ever seen before. I watched as they slowly opened and the crowd started to cheer even louder. Edmund then whispered in my ear. "Be careful out there, we're all counting on you" he walked away and I started walking forward. The arena was huge with thousands of people sitting in their seats waiting as they glared at me. It looked as if it has been smashed in the right corner by something indescribably huge. Suddenly a gate opened at the other end of the arena, everything went silent. Out came a short man who stared into my eyes as the tall gate closed behind me. "Welcome Althos, I here you're a great warrior. But I am an even greater magician. In these three challenges you will face my magic to show how powerful you really are. In the first challenge you will be accompanied by your three most loved ones. These three people will be brought to life using your memory. They will be placed high up out of reach at this end of the arena. You will have to choose one who will fight alongside you. Then you will plan a strategy and kill the two remaining memories. To make it even harder, there will be traps and dangerous obstacles between you and your memories. Once you get past these and enter the end of the arena you will have to use your strength to pull a lever and get the selected memory down from the air and onto the ground. If you do not complete all three challenges, the two memories that were not chosen will be removed from your mind. You will not remember nor recognise them, do you accept?"
"If I do not, a whole kingdom will be placed under the rule of an enemy... I have to! I accept"

Suddenly the magician had used his magic and was pulling the memories from my head. It was like nothing I had ever seen or felt before. They were then put into three bodies. My father, mother and brother were all standing a few hundred metres away from me. I had not seen them in 24 years. After seeing them float into the air, hundreds of traps and obstacles grew out from the ground. The challenge had now begun.

I had to decide who I was going to choose. It was the hardest decision that I had ever come across. My mother who always took good care of me and who I loved dearly. She would take her own life to sustain mine. My father who had always been in battle. I spent many nights crying in my prayers wishing to see him. He taught me everything I know about being a fears warrior. I would give anything to show him what I have accomplished. Then there was my brother. Whenever I was hurt, whenever I was feeling down, he would always help me up again. He protected me from everything that stood to harm me. I owe my happiness and glory to him. I thought for a few minutes and had come to the hard conclusion. I started walking towards the spears that were hidden under ground, waiting for me to step on them. "An object cannot keep me from my destiny, you will not stop me!" I leaped over the spears and continued walking. Two rollers with spikes were spinning rapidly before me. I timed it carefully and ran between the spikes eager to catch me. I looked to my left and then to my right. If I took one more step, darts would speed towards me. I lied down on the ground and slowly moved towards my brother. I spent half of that day dodging darts and avoiding sharp edges, until at last I reached my goal. In front of me were my three most treasured loved ones. I stood in front of my brother and started to pull the lever. Tears were falling from my eyes as I struggled to move it. Nothing was happening, I tried yet again, nothing. I leaned on the leaver putting the weight of my body on my arms which were rested on my legs. Suddenly it moved, I quickly turned around and saw an inscription. "A gentle hand shall rule the land". I smiled and pressed lightly onto the lever remembering the story about the sword in the stone. My brother was sent down. We immediately hugged and watched our parents get sent down. We knew what was coming. I pulled the sword from my sheath and told my brother to get ready and go for our mother. We fought, holding back most of our strength until I knocked my father onto the floor by mistake. It was my only chance, "Father, I must do this. I would never have made it here without you." Just before my sword came close to my father he disappeared. He reappeared behind me and said "Son, don't let anything come between you and great things". He floated upwards and disappeared. I looked to my left and realised my mother had done so as well.

"Well done! Well done... I knew you could do it, but that was only the first challenge. You have proven to me and all these people here today that you have great courage Althos. The challenge is complete and tomorrow you will continue onto your next. Everyone started to leave the arena, Edmund then stood beside me. "You know the next challenge won't be so easy... ".
"I know".
We went back to the village and i lay in my bed wide awake wondering what the next challenge would be. It took hours, but eventually I went to sleep.

The next morning I was abruptly woken up by Edmund. "Althos, its time, get ready for your next challenge."
I got my sword and quickly put on my armour, i was ready. We walked towards the giant gates for the second time. As I watched them open i slowly forced myself through the entrance. I got to the centre of the arena until I noticed the magician standing at the other side. Everyone went silent as they noticed his presents. "Welcome yet again, Althos. Yesterday you proved to all of us that you have courage. Today we see if you have strength. In front of me is a chest, inside this chest is an object that is very powerful, but you will not be able to see its true power very easily. Your goal is to show everyone in this audience how powerful it really is. The chest will be protected by two ogres. Once they are killed you will be faced with an enemy you already know very well. Do you accept?"
I thought for a moment "Yes, I accept"
"Let the challenge... being!"

I looked for any sign of where the ogres would come from, but I couldn't find anything. I slowly walked towards the chest hoping that nothing would go wrong. I wondered how to it so i put my hand on the top but as soon as I did everything went black. I couldn't see anything. I thought I had lost my eye sight. But then faintly in the distance I saw letters. I ran as fast as I could towards them until they were right in front of me. "What's happening." I thought. I looked down and noticed my hand was still on the chest. I took it off and I was suddenly back in the arena. I looked behind me and a club came straight for me. I was hit and flew against the wall. I had to get to the chest. I ran to attack the ogre and fought with all my strength. We fought for a while before the battle was finally over and I could inspect the chest yet again. I put my hand onto the top of it and everything went black. The words were right in front of me, just as they were when I left. I walked back a few steps and read. "

*Unfinished - Sorry - are you interested to see what happens?*
© Copyright 2008 Josh Klev (altuno at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1420323-A-Soldiers-Reign