*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1420030-Advances-Chapter2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Other · Friendship · #1420030
The second chapter of Advances.
Chapter 2 Almost
By the time Carmella returned home there was only 10 minutes before William was due to arrive. Carmella ran into the bathroom and stared at herself in the mirror. Even after she'd re-applied her makeup and brushed through her unruly hair she still didnt think she looked good. Her eyes weren't big like Beatrix's or Emilia's. She didnt have a model like body like Evelyn, and she was no way near as perfect as Liliana. Carmella sighed as she walked out of the bathroom and fell down onto her bed next door.
Carmella had had feelings for William ever since she first met him. They soon became best friends in their first year of secondary school together and sat together in practically every lesson. Carmella had no idea if William felt the same way about her and she could think of nothing worse than declaring her feelings to him in case he didint fancy her, or even worse, it ruined their friendship.
Carmella wished that she didnt feel this way about William. She wished that she could just see him as a friend, but she couldn't. Every time she saw him it reminded her of all the reasons why she felt the way he did. The way he could speak to Carmella about anything, The way he played around with his hair. The way he treated Carmella like she was the only girl he cared about.
The doorbell rang. Carmella waited for a moment so as not to seem to keen and then she ran downstairs through the hallway and opened the front door.
"Carm!" he exclaimed. "How have you been? Ive missed you these holidays."
"Im fine as always. You?"
"Im ok. The parents are driving me up the wall again but ive been staying at michaels so i haven't had to see them too much"
"Well come in then."
They walked in to the living room where they both sat on the sofa, making sure they werent sitting too close.
"So how was Africa?" William asked Carmella.
"It was amazing! In our gap year we have to go there. Then we can ride on elephants together like we always said we would."
"Its a date. We'll have to get jobs soon then," said William.
A rare scilence passed between the two of them in which they both stared at one another for what seemed like minutes, But then William averted his gaze to the other side of the room.
"Ohhhhhh monopoly!" William said running over to retrive the board game from it's rusty shelf. "We always used to play this back in year 7, remember?"
"Oh yeah, you were rubbish. I'd always win."
"Only because I let you," William said with a hint of sugestion.
"Well then William James, I suppose we'll have to call on a rematch. Winner buys the other one lunch for a week at school."
"Youre on!"
They sat down to play the game, and for the next two hours they were preocupied in friendly competition.
"Ha. I win. I told you you were never good at this game. And dont you dare say that you let me win Will," Pronounced Carmella gleefully.
"Alright Carm, you won fair and square," William said starting to pack away the game with a grin across his face.
"What is is?" said Carmella inquisitivaly, wanting to know what was going through Williams mind.
"Nothing," said William. "Its just that..."
"Just that what?"
"Well I did let you win."
"Right thats it!" said Carmella, playfully jumping onto William and tickiling him under the chin.
"Alright alright, quit it out," he laughed trying to retaliate. "How about I buy you lunch for two weeks?"
"You better do!"
Carmella's parents loved having William around as much as she did. They always teased William at the table saying that he came round so often that he was like their son-in-law. Whenever they made this joke Carmella turned bright red but William just laughed and would thank mrs Kinton for the lovely food.
"Why don't you stay the night? The spare rooms free. We all love you company William." Carmella's mother asked at the dinner table.
"Mum!" Carmella whispered so only he mother could hear.
"Sorry Mrs Kinton. Ive already arranged to stay at Michaels for the night. In fact i should be heading over there soon. Thanks for the offer though" William awnsered politley.
"Well another time then. Its been lovely to see you again."
"Lovely to see you too Mrs Kinton. I really must be going. Thanks for the dinner"
"Anytime dear. Carmella will see you out."
Carmella left the table with William following behind her. She opened the front door.
"Thanks for today C. Ive had a wonderfull time, as always," said William
"Its ok," said Carmella. Then once again an unexpected scilence fell between the pair. William looke into Carmellas deep blue eyes and she looked into his mysterious brown ones.
Carmella thought to herself "This is it, he's going to kiss me"
Her heart pounded in her chest her hands were clammy. She waited.
"Well I'll see you soon no doubt Carm." The moment was broken and without looking back, Wiliam walked out of the house and out of sight.
Carmella exhaled and all feeling came back into her body. She slammed the door shut and run upstairs, tears already formed in her eyes.
William stopped walking once he knew he was out of sight. Why didn't he have the courage to kiss her. It would have been so easy. But was it what she wanted. Its could change everything they had as friends and he knew he couldnt live without Carmellas friendship. He slumped down onto the nearest garden wall, utterly helpless.
© Copyright 2008 CarmellaRosetta (rosetta at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1420030-Advances-Chapter2