*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1419245-Forgotten
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1419245
A sad tale of an elderly woman who has lost her memories.
The cool ocean air makes its way along the rocky hills, ending its journey at a small blue house.  The inhabitant of the house is standing on the balcony, allowing the scent of salt to tantalize her senses.  Her white hair brushes her forehead as the wind blows across her face.  Her hands are clutching the rail of the balcony.  Her eyes roam across the distance, as if they are searching for an unknown object.  At least, to a complete stranger, this is what one might gather.  However, it is not an object she searches for but a distant memory.

Years ago, this elderly woman was a young, vivacious girl.  Fresh out of college, she found a small blue house on the rocky hills for a low price.  Her dreams soared as high as the seagulls.  The shore was her pathway day in and day out.  She would walk this sandy journey to clear her mind and gather her thoughts.  It was on this journey of hers where she met her future husband.  The life they shared was one of complete bliss, filled with unconditional love.  The children that followed only magnified their love, making their lives even more alive.  This sandy shore was their playground.  That blue house was the base for all their lives.  Her children grew up, flew off to live out their dreams, then came back home with more children to grace the house with.

Those days are gone now.  The old lady closes her eyes, feeling one lone tear trail its way down her weather worn skin.  She cries for the lost memories she cannot grasp.  Those forgotten yesterdays that she would give anything for.  The husband who, has since then, passed from this life.  The children and grandchildren she no longer recognizes.  The mornings she awakens to, not even knowing where she is.  This illness has stolen all this away from her.  Her memories are no more.

She remains in that spot for a little while longer.  The wind brushes her face, drying her tears.  Her hands clutch the rail firmer as she watches the sun set on another day.

© Copyright 2008 Serafina (whimsicalways at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1419245-Forgotten