*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1401788-Satnav-chapter-two---draft
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Fel
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1401788
hilarity in hallucination?
Chapter Two

Sam ran his fingers through his hair and held his head in his hands for a moment while he tried to think. Thinking was proving to be a lot more difficult than usual. He had a feeling that it was something he might have to get used to. At least he was comfortable, in his confusion. Lettie was an extremely efficient hostess, especially given the unconventional introduction.
Her home was cushion like, full of softness and texture and colour. You could sink into its ambience and, almost, forget your troubles.
He took a sip of fruit juice and smiled at Lettie who was watching him with concern.
“Are you feeling better now Sam?” she asked with an expression of genuine concern.
He smiled at her.
“Yes, I think I am.” He rose to his feet. “Are you feeling alright now? You looked a little distressed yourself earlier.”
Lettie returned his smile.
“I am wonderful. It was just a shock to see a car again after such a long time, but don’t worry about me. I am thoroughly enjoying having company. It is rare this far out of town.”
Sam walked to the window and checked his car. It was still there, looking incongruous amongst the trees and flowers. He had decided that either he was dreaming, which could be either good or bad depending on whether he had started the dream before or after he started the car.
Or.
He was having some kind of break down. He didn’t remember having any mental problems but that could be part of it. If he was delusional would he know he was? Would he remember not being delusional? It was too confusing so he decided to just let it flow. Let all the weirdness just flow over him and see where it went. It was more than likely that the alarm would start buzzing any minute and Sandra would be kicking him in the back to get him to switch it off.
He realised that Lettie was talking to him
“..Such a shock. I was walking along minding my own business and BOOM!. There is a car! Of all things, a car, almost running me over, from nowhere too. One minute empty hillside next minute... Wow! Anyway, how did you do it? Where did you get the car?”
“Castle Cars” he replied.
“They have cars at the Castle? I don’t think so. I think you are joking with me. At the Castle? How ridiculous. Everyone knows that is the last place you would find a car or anything remotely like one.” She started to laugh, a deep hearty rumble of a laugh that he just couldn’t help joining in with.
He had absolutely no idea why he was laughing but it didn’t matter in the least. Soon they were both holding their stomachs and grimacing with pain between bursts of uncontrollable laughter. It was several minutes before they were calm enough to speak again.
As his breath returned, Sam wondered whether to question the hilarity of the Castle or explain or, possibly try to explain more fully. He was sure that as this was his dream, or hallucination, all would eventually be explained, but he did have the option of hurrying things along.  He decided he was enjoying himself too much to hurry; he would just wait for things to happen.
“Its ok” said Lettie. “If you want to be mysterious, I will let you. I am not nosy by nature” she smiled again “I have to practice!” and she dissolved into hysterical laughing again. Hugging herself tightly and rolling onto the sofa.
Sam had never met anyone like Lettie before. She was a walking cliché of larger than life. She was so wonderful that she couldn’t possibly be real and this more than anything had convinced him that she and the rest of this odd place did not exist outside his mind.
He decided to change the subject.
“Why don’t you get many visitors?” he asked.
Lettie was just picking herself up and taking deep breaths.
“Because” she gasped “It is a three mile walk to, or from, the village.”
“And... you have no cars? Or anything similar, like a bus?”
Lettie looked at him again, her face beginning to take on a scarlet hue as she struggled to hold back another laugh.
“Nope.” It was all she could manage
Sam had not realised how difficult it could be to have a meaningful conversation with an overly happy person.
She took a deep breath.
“I am on the waiting list for a horse.” She said “Although for obvious reasons it has to be a big one!” The air rushed out of her with a honk as hilarity claimed her once more.
Sam gave up and sat back in a large soft chair, while he waited for her to regain some composure, it could be a long wait.
© Copyright 2008 Fel (feljones at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1401788-Satnav-chapter-two---draft