*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1397081-Halley
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1397081
Do the stars really have something to offer?
We were waiting for the comet they said only passed every seventy to seventy-five years. The stars twinkled as the full moon slowly crawled across the night sky. Under the celestial canopy we laid on the grey blanket that he had spread over the freshly cut grass. It was a phenomenon that he was so passionately intrigued by, and I on the other hand, was merely taking advantage of the situation. On a blanket with only the moon and stars to follow our seductive moves had often been a fantasy of mine. I found it to be the perfect excuse to lie by his side under the stars.

The deep, defining tone in which he shared his knowledge of the comet was as stimulating to me as the nectar from honeysuckle is to a hummingbird. He told me the comet's name was Halley. Continuing to enlighten me on all her magnificent features, he spoke of Halley as if she was some beautiful angel floating out across the night’s sky leaving a trail of angel dust following behind her. I had become moderately jealous over how intimately the words flowed from his lips as he spoke of her.

The serene setting provided the perfect evening for us to be together. Illuminating just enough, the immense blue moon allowed me to stare deep into his eyes as he spoke. They were full of love and compassion. It was that love and compassion I wanted embracing me. I continued to stare; watching every word that gently flowed from his mouth and the way he licked his lips between each sentence.

He silenced himself when he realized I was studying him rather than the stars. His eyes revealed to me that our desires were mutual. Trading amorous glances was often part of our in-explicit language. Neither of us needed to say a word. There was an expression revealed to us that what we had would always be something special. Those muted moments together were soothed by the deep passion that constantly burned within our souls.

Both longing for something from the other we wondered how this moment came to pass allowing us to entertain our inhibitions. His hands softly began stroking my long blonde hair when simultaneously we leaned towards each other. The thought of how the salt would taste from his lips made my mouth begin to water. For an instant we could be ourselves with one another allowing our shadows to combine as one, but we don’t, for at that instant the comet bestowed itself upon us. Her beauty trailed behind as a reminder of how far she had come or was it a sign of how close we had almost come to fulfilling dreams.

Just like that she stole his attention from me. Hypnotized by her beauty his eyes fixated on Halley as if she was all that existed in the world and once again I was left longing for his affection. What I wished to be the highlight of my evening was interrupted by what he knew would be the highlight of his. It was the moment he had spoken about all night and the moment that allowed my highlight to slip back to being my dream.

He was right. She was exquisite. She had brought with her the possibility of being able to fulfill many passionate desires although it was her own presence that prevented those desires from becoming a reality. I now know it was her unwelcome interruption that allowed our desires to continue to burn. What she left behind with her dust was the excitement of many continued moments of arousing bliss. My jealousy had turned to gratefulness for she secretly deprived us from feeding our hunger but left us with a bittersweet craving.

With Halley’s pass our time together had come to an end and although the words good night had been spoken we knew they meant nothing because we would forever be bound together. Bound by the desires that would continue to nourish our appetite for one another. Whether we met in the morning or at night, tomorrow or the next day, the fact remains we will meet again and it will be as gratifying as always.

© Copyright 2008 Kattway92 (kattway92 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1397081-Halley