*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1390810-Beyond-The-Looking-Glass
by Janie
Rated: 13+ · Other · Family · #1390810
What happens when you look beyond apperances?
Beyond The Looking Glass

Prologue

Jack Daniels was always the boy who would get every girl in his town preganant. He got drunk every Friday night. He had the charm and poise that got him what he wanted.

Elizabeth McBeth was the intellegant, funny girl who was well enjoyed by everyone. How she met Jack Daniels is still a mystery.

STORY!

Elizabeth's alarm clock rang, and she jubilently stepped out of bed. Just another day to some, but for her it was the day she was going to win the Science award at school. Elizabeth had been working for these awards all year and nothing was going to get in her way. Elizabeth straightened up her Harvard and Princeton collage applications. She was planning to get into an Ivy League school, and her parents were pushing her like there was no tommorow.

Elizabeth's white blouse was missing a button.

"Gosh darn." she yelled.

Elizabeth had no other blouses, so she quickly pried through her drawer to find her sewing kit. Once she was complete she gave herself a once over in the mirror. Perfection she thought. Elizabeth was the biggest perfectionist ever! She looked over her acceptance speech thinking about how great it was to be on stage recieving an academic award. She looked over the pictures on her mirror. She always liked to look at Jack and Marybelle before something big was going to happen. Maribelle's big blue eyes made her own fill with tears. Elizabeth quickly calmed herself down because she knew that nothing could stop her from making her dream come true. But the real question was, was that really her dream?

As Elizabeth drove to school her thoughts were jumbled. She knew that collage was extremely important. She also knew that she couldn't give up now because she had already let down two precious people in her life. She couldn't bare let another two down. She knew that her parents were counting on her to switch her life around. But somehow she felt so guilty for what she did to her little baby. Her and Jack had made the mutual decision for Elizabeth to go to school and make a living. But, even so she felt like Maribelle would never look her in the eyes properly again. Maribelle would miss growing up without Elizabeth. She was a smart girl and she knew that leaving Jack and Maribelle to live together without her was right. They needed a good income later in life. Elizabeth would go back to her family when she was ready to.

Wilson High popped into view and Elizabeth got jitters in her stomach. There was the rock where her and Jack first kissed. There was the door Jack chased Elizabeth out of after she and told him she was preganant. And there was the bathroom they first talked in. All the memory's came flowing back all with tears. She loved Jack and she loved Maribelle. She also knew that if she loved them she would have to go to college and she would have to give them a future.

*********

Elizabeth stepped up to the podium. All her teachers were watching. Jack wasn't there though. He had graduated early to stay at home with Maribelle. He earned extra credits in order to leave early. Elizabeth thought about all the things he did to make their future better. But, Elizabeth had the hardest job ever. She had to leave everything she cared about for some stuck up professors who would judge her based on first appearnces.
"I am blessed to recieve these awards today. This last year has been a life chnaging experiance and I am glad that I am finally doing something I know how to do. Insted of changing a diaper I am changing my life choices. I hope to make everyone I let down with my daughter believe in me again. I hope to excell in either Princeton or Harvard to make my daughter and boyfriends lives better. I hope when I finish that I can get married and have a normal life. I hope that all my bravery and struggles I go through with Maribelle will pay off. I hope that all those that didn't believe I could make it will feel true embarrasment! I hope that my daughter will grow up to be smarter than me and wait to have a child. But my bad decisions will not make my daughters life bad. My boyfriend and I will give her the best that we possibly can manage and we will love her forever. And, if she gets pregnant at 17 I won't tell her she is hopeless. I will tell her that if she knows how to turn her life around and make her baby's life beautiful then she is beautiful. Maribelle will always be my prized possesion. And with these awards today I will give her the life she desreves. So, thank you to everyone who gave me support and those who didn't I am sorry you didn't believe in me."

Elizabeth kind of improved the whole speech. But she got a standing ovation and she knew what she said about Maribelle and Jack was heartwarming. She meant everything she said. She was going to go home to visit her baby and her boyfriend, who she loved with all her heart.

***********

Jack heated the bottle up so Maribelle could eat. He hoped Maribelle wouldn't drink it all because this formula cost more than he could afford working at Walmart.Without Elizabeth living with them he had no breasts to feed her naturally. The door bell rang and Jack jumped. He hoped that it wasn't his few friends that still liked to show up at his house. They upset Maribelle and Jack hated to see her upset. It reminded him of how Elizabeth cried when she told him she was having a baby. He opened the door and Elizabeth jumped into his arms.

"I love you so much baby" she cried to him.
"I love you too babe. What's wrong?" Jack replied
"I can't do it. I can't leave you two for the stuck up Ivy league princes and princesses. I am not like that anymore. I want you to stay with me and make me feel better when I need it."
"Babe, I wish you didn't have to go eiether but you know taht we need it. You know if we are ever going to stay a family we won't survive without your job."

Elizabeth kissed him and cried into his shoulder. She loved him so much.
" I have to see that baby!" Elizabeth ran into the room where the crib was kept.
She picked up her bundle of joy. She kissed Marybelle and rocked he back and forth. Her blue eyes stared up at her and she couldn't believe she was leaving behind such a beautiful princess.
"Jack am I a bad person for leaving?" Elizabeth asked him.
"Babe no your the bravest, best person I have ever met!" he replied.
"I love you Jack. I love you so much." Elizabeth replied.
They hugged as a family and Elizabeth felt at home for once in a long time.
***********************************

"Why is she over at that boy's home again? Hasn't she learned her lesson?" Elizabeth's mother asked her husband Rob.

"They love eachother Judy and I think if they want to be together they should." Rob replied.
"I just don't want her to throw away her future after she has worked so hard to get it back on track."
"Well, I think she knows what she has to do for her new family. I think she is smart enough and old enough to know what her daughter needs. I also think we should go visit Maribelle more, because after all she is our grand daughter."

"Rob, I want nothing to do with that baby and you know that. She shows me that our beutiful Elizabeth failed us. I will only call that baby my grand daughter when Elizabeth turns her life around."

Elizabeth's parents were not very supportive during Elizabeth's pregnancy. Her father began to come around when Maribelle was born but her mother never did. Her mother believed Elizabeth was not going to suceed with Maribelle. Elizabeth often felt that her parents were going to turn around soon but her mother never seced to let her down.

Elizabeth spent the night at Jack's home. She was so happy to be with her family that she didn't want to go to her parents house. She didn't want to fill out her applications for college. She didn't want to leave Maribelle and Jack.
*******

Jack woke up at 2:00 in the morning to feed Marybelle. He saw Elizabeth's face beside him. He wished she didn't have to leave him. He was scared to be without her. He then saw Maribelle and thought about how blessed he was to have two beautiful girls lying beside him. Two beautiful girls he gave everythign up for and he was proud of it. About a year ago he would have been at a party getting drunk. Now he was with his family. His friends had told him to take off and forget about Maribelle and Elizabeth. His frieds knew all about leaving a girl and baby behind. Jack did too, but this time he knew that he felt a different way about Elizabeth than all the other girls. He knew she would be a strong mother when she came home from school. He knew that he would be a strong father through the four years Elizabeth would be away. But even though he knew they would be happy one day, Jack was scared.

***************

The morning brought tears. Elizabeth knew she couldn't stay at Jack's forever. She had to get back to school that day. She only had three days left. But she couldn't go to Jack's the next night because she had to fill out her applications. She would call him and Maribelle when she was finished and maybe she could go over for a little bit. Depending on how fast her applications took. Elizabeth showered and got into her beat up Toyota. She waved to Jack and Maribelle through her car window. Jack blew kisses and Maribelle smiled at her mom. Elizabeth took off with tears in her eyes and a broken heart.

********

School was not the most fun thing Elizabeth had done in her life. Everyone gave her a bad look. Everyone knew she was trouble because she had a baby. Elizabeth would give anything to have Jack walking there beside her holding hands like they used to. But Jack wasn't there, he was at his own house caring for their baby. Elizabeth went through the last year in her mind as she sat in math. The day she and Jack met, their first date, their first kiss, their first time sharing eachother in a new way, the day Maribelle was born. She was instantly plunged into September 4, 1999.

***************************

"Hit me baby one more time." instantly blasted on the radio.

Elizabeth McBeth bursted out of her bed and looked around. She forgot that her alarm was set so loud. Elizabeth brushed her hair and picked out a lovely sweater with pinstripe pants. She thought she looked perfect for the first day of school. This was her 11th year and she was prepared to make the best of it. With one more year until college and her future she was extremely excited. She grabbed a breakfast bar and kissed both of her parents as she jumped into her old Toyota. She hated her car but knew her parents would onyl buy her a new one next year if she excelled in school.



Wilson High was clean and crisp on the first day. Elizabeth met her best friend Shelby in the cafeteria as she picked up breakfast. Shelby always forgot to bring a breakfast. They hugged eachother and made way to their first class. English. Boring english class.



Elizabeth was put beside the bad boy in school. Jack Daniels. Elizabeth knew he was trouble and she hoped not to talk to him. He was a father to almost 6 kids. He also got drunk every night. Elizabeth hated how rude he was to teachers and how vulgar he was to every girl.
Then Melissa Ferga walked into the room. Her stomach was at it's breaking points. This was Jack's latest girlfriend. He kissed her on teh cheek as she sat on his other side. This made Elizabeth feel sick. Gettign pregnant at 16 was a terrible thign to do. Especially with Jack Daniels. Elizabeth wondered how he slept at night knowing he was a father to so mnay little kids. Elizabeth knew she would wait for pregnancy. She knew that it was a gift God gave for after marriage. And until marriage came she would wait for a baby.

****************************************
Elizabeth and Shelbey saw Lindsey walk towards them. Elizabeth was excited to be spending lunch with her two best friends. She thought high school would break them up but she had been mistaken. Lindsey's stern voice pulled Elizabeth out of her thoughts.

"Guys, I think I'm pregnant."Shelbey gasped and Elizabeth was startled. Lindsey was always the one who thought getting pregnant too early was terrible. She felt herself instantly slip away. She thought that if Lindsey was pregnant she had a chnce of being seduced as well. She couldn't believe her best friend Lindsey would do such a thing with someone.
"Who's the guy?" Elizabeth scardly questioned.
Her answer sent Elizabeth out of her seat and into the washroom. This guy needed to stop. He wrecked her best friend and he would pay. Jack Daniels would pay.

*********************
" Hi Elizabeth, it's Lindsey."
" Hey, Linds I'm not mad at you. I'm not goign to stop being your friend just ebcause you have a baby. I will be right by your side. I just don't understand why you chose to sleep with Jack Daniels. He is slimy and he has about 7 kids already. Only he had ditched evwery one of them and their mothers. He has two people prenant at once. You and Melissa Ferga. How could you take your clothes off and give him your body? You knew he would ditch you once he was done. He just wants you to have sex with him and then he's going to take off.."
" Liz I know but he, well he promised he would stay with me forever. He promised that this was teh last time he was going to leave."
Lindsey started to cry.
"He said he loved me."
Elizabeth started to cry as well. She felt so bad for Lindsey and her baby. She knew Mrs. Quinn would not let Lindsey keep the baby. She just hoped that Lindsey would not get an abortion. The thought sent Elizabeth into harder tears. A baby with no first word, and no mother or father to lean on. A baby who would be dead before it even got a chance to see it's mother. Elizabeth knew Lindsey would be force to have an abortion. Lindsey knew this too. She was so scared because she was against abortion. She was terrified of not living with her baby. Lindsey actually wanted her child.

****************************

Elizabeth woke up teh next morning wondering how Lindsey would look. She thought of her differently now. She saw Lindsey weirdly, but she had promised to be with her through everything. And when Elizabeth made a promise she ALWAYS kept that promise. Elizabeth hadn't told her parents about Lindsey because she knew they wouldn't let them be friends any more. Elizabeth knew her parents and teenage pregnancy. They were just as against it as Elizabeth was herself.

*******************************

"Hello thank you for calling the clinic for women, Mary Hopkins speaking how may I be of assistance."

"Hi my name is Lindsey Quinn. I am pregnant and I would like to sign for an abortion."

After the details were all set, Lindsey's mother hung the phone up and called Lindsey from her bedroom.
"Lindsey I just called a clinic and I arranged an abortion for you."
"Mom I already told you that I want to keep the baby. I want this child to live. At least let me give him or her up for adoption."
" Lindsey you have already greatly dissapointed me. I will not let you give birth until you are ready. Tommorow I will be driving you to teh clinic and you will have that abortion."

Lindsey knew her mother's decision was final. She ran up to her room and ripped out all the pages she had drawn of what her and her baby would look like. She was hoping it would be a girl. But all her hopes wouldn't matter because that baby would never be born.

**********************

Months passed where every day Elizabeth found herself trying to comfort Lindsey . Lindsey was never the same after the abortion. She was always acting weird. Elizabeth felt so bad for Lindsey. She wanted taht child. She loved that child. Even if it hadn't been born yet. And we all know taht when we love something we would do anything for it. Lindsey had lost the one thing she truly loved. And when we loose someone or something we love it is sometimes hard to love anything again.

***************************

Elizabeth was walking down the hall of Wilson High to find the bulliten board which held her latest test mark. January had just ended and Elizabeth had been doing amazing in all her subjects. 97%. Elizabeth had aced the test. Just then Jack Daniels walked up to check his mark. Elizabeth glancd over and saw 35%.
"Well I guess I did pretty shitty." Jack laughed.
"It's not really funny you know. School is more important than impregnating innocent women." Elizabeth had so much fury built up inside of her. She just needed to let it out.
"Well Elizabeth why don't you mind your own stupid buissness?" Jack snarled and walked away.
Elizabeth wasn't feeling guilty for what she said to Jack. He deserved it. Lindsey was changed forever because of him. All the other girls he had been with were stuck with children to raise all by themselves. Elizabeth left school, wondering why Jack did this to innocent girls. She wondered if he would stop or just keep going. She wondered if he would ever put her under the spell he put others under.

*************************
Elizabeth had to stop concentrating on Jack and Lindsey. Her school work was so much more important. She wanted to go to Princeton or Harvard. She wanted a career that would be sufficent for her. Her parents wanted a sufficent career for her. They were both surgeons so they planned for Elizabeth to have a well paying job as well. Elizabeth was going over her science homework when someone knocked at her door. Elizabeth opened the door slowly and she saw the one person she never expected would ever show up at her door.
*********************************

Elizabeth knew her trip down memory lane had to end because she was back at Wilson. She was like all the regular students only all of them would look at her funny, they knew the type of girl she was, even though their opinions on her were not true. Elizabeth wasn't the girl who got pregnant too young. But she had been, she got into a stupid mess but ended up enjoying every minute of it. Maribelle was a gift sent from God, and not only her but her boyfriend Jack who changd for them.
**********************************

School ended and so Elizabeth went back to her memories at school. The night her life changed, maybe for the better.

Jack Daniels walked into Elizabeth's bedroom. He looked upset. "Umm sorry to be so broad but why the hell are you in my bedroom?" "Well, your parents let me up because I said that you were my tutor. "I'm not your tutor, I want to have nothing to do with you and your sick ways." " My parents threatened to kick me out if I didn't bring my grades up, and you are the smartest girl in the school." "Fine I will help you on one condition. You never make me pregnant and we work away from my room. Also you pay me 20$ a session." "Deal done." Jack answered.

They both went downstairs and worked at Elizabeth's kitchen table. She went over that nights homework and Jack made no progress. "I'll see you tommorow then Jack."Elizabeth walked him out the door. "Thanks again Elizabeth, I really apreciate is." "Sure you do." Elizabeth slammed the front door. She couldn't belive she was turtoring teh one person she hated the most.

******************************

Elizabeth drove all the way from school to Jack's house. She couldn't wait to tell Jack and Maribelle all about her day at school. When she got there, no one was home. She let herself in and made herself at home. She wondered where they were. It grew really late and Elizabeth really started to worry. She fell asleep waiting up for them and they never came home. Elizabeth turned on the radio to listen to some news, all of a sudden she heard a breaking news story about an accident on main street with a 18 year old boy and little baby girl. Elizabeth jumped into her beat up Toyota and sped to Main Street.
******************

The next day Jack still hadn't made any progress with Elizabeth's tutoring. While she was quizzing him he asked her a question. "Elizabeth do you believe that I am a bad person? I know I have made bad choices but does that mean I am bad?" Elizabeth answered honestly "I believe no one is a bad person, But I think you are a pig and you do terrible things to women because you make them belive that you love them when you only want their bodies. I don't know if you know taht you got Adriana Quinn preganant and he mother mad eher have an abortion. Did you also know taht Adriana has promised to never have another child because she killed teh first one. Did you know she has neevr been the same? Jack I just don't understand why you do this to people?" "Elizabeth what if I told you taht I really did love each and every one of those girls. What if I told you that I run away because I get scared that the babies won't love me? I love Adriana and Alessandra and all of the other girls. I am idiot and so are my friends who talk me into leaving. I know I am a bad preosn but I really want to change." "Well then start by changing your grades." Elizabeth replied.

Elizabeth couldn't sleep that night, she was over hearing what Jack said about really loving each of the girls he made pregnant. She started wondering about her impresion of Jack. Maybe he was a good person stuck in a abd situation. Maybe he would acre for a baby. Maybe she was starting to fall for him. The one thing she couldn't let herself do.

The next day they got back their Algebra tests. Of course Elizabeth got 97% and when she saw jack in teh hallway he gave her a big highfive. 67%! I got a 67%! "Great job jack I knew you could do it!" "Thanks Elizabeth I never knew I would be able to do it. You are the height of my success!" Elizabeth looked up at Jack and she knew that he was a good person stuck in the wrong situation. "Let's celebrate I'll take you out for milkshakes!"Jack screams over teh crowded school hallway.

*******************************

Elizabeth got to the taped off police lines and looked around for Jack and Maribelle. The officer instructed her to move back but Elizabeth needed to know who was hurt and what had happeend. Then Elizabeth saw it, she saw Jack lying in the gravel, bleeding. She saw Maribelle in an officers arms. Elizabeth grabbed Maribelle and fell to the ground. Elizabeth felt her life leave.

*********************************************************

Elizabeth had no idea what to wear, she had never been on a date. She threw on a red sun dress and let her brown wavy hair fall on her shoulders. She knew the ensemble wasn't perfect but it was enough for a 67%. She knew Jack would like it.

Jack picked her up in his chevy truck and when he saw her he felt like fainting. She was so beautiful, she made every girl in Georgia, in the world, look like nothing. He flet somethign he never felt with any other girl he had been with. He felt the cute 2nd grade crush. He flet like holding her hand and resting in the grass with her. He didn't feel like making out with her or seeing her naked. He felt love and commitment. He loved Elizabeth.

"Hey Liz when did you get so pretty?" "Shut up" Elizabeth replies smiling.
Elizabeth wondered why he said this. Was he playing with her mind? Or did he really feel she was pretty?

**************************************

The paramedics helped Elizabeth up off the gravel. They rushed Jack, Maribelle and her into the ambulence and on to the hospital. Elizabeth was crying uncontrollably she looked at Jack's unconscious body and then at her little baby. What would she do? What could she do? She hugged Jack.

"You can't leave me Jack, you just can't go" she whispered into his ear. Her tears dripped down on to his shirt. She kissed his chapped, cold lips. Elizabeth knew without Jack she would never make it. She felt connected to him.

**************************************

Elizabeth's choccolate milkshake could not keep her mind off Jack calling her pretty. He smiled at her when they both ordered the same meal, he watched her eat and he couldn't keep his eyes of her. She got nervous he felt teh same way she did. She knew he had a bad track record and so she just couldn't be with him.

Jack looked at Elizabeth. Damn she was beautiful. But completely off limits. He knew that if he went out with her then he would make the smae stupid mistakes he made everytime. He knew she didn't like him anyway after she talked to him in teh hall that one day. It was all because he was a big ass idiot. But damn was she ever beautiful he thought to himself. Jack knew that he was falling in just way too deep.

****************************************************

"Insert two quarters please." the little automated voice over the pay phone told Elizabeth. Elizabeth frantically called her parents. "Hello McBeth residence." Elizabeth's father answered. "Dad i'm at the hospital can you and mom please come, I need help?" "Liz what's wrong, did you hurt yourself?" "No it's Jack and Maribelle.Please Dad come help, convince Mom tell her I need her help." "We'll be staright there." Elizabeth gave out a deep breath. Sitting in the Emergency room was never on her list of priorities for the evening. She sat reading a waterstained magazine, when she saw her parents rush in. She jumped up and hugged them fiercely.

"I didn't ever mean to dissapoint you, I just made a huge but beautiful mistake. I love Jack and I love Maribelle more. But we can't do it alone we need you help. Momma I need you. I always dreamed of having my mom through all of my pregnanacy. You wouldn't even look at me."

"Oh Liz it wasn't that I didn't love you, I made a mistake. A huge mistake. I am so sorry." Elizabeth's mother responded.

They both hugged each other for what seemed like centuries until they were interrupted by a nurse.

"Elizabeth McBeth." The nurse called.

"Yes mamn, that's me."

"Come this way I need to speak to you."

Elizabeth and the nurse went through the large white hospital doors and into the emergency ward.

"Well I am happy to report that your daughter will be okay, well, ummm, unfortunatly Jack didn't make it."

***************************************************

Elizabeth and Jack continued to spend all their days together. Elizabeth couldn't stop thinking about Jack and Jack couldn't stop thinking about Elizabeth. He tried to muster up the strength to ask her on a date but he worried she wouldn't because of his reputation.

Jack was up every night thinking about how much he loved Elizabeth. Months past and spring turned to summer. When summer came Jack and Elizabeth spent more time than ever with each other. Both didn't know they loved one another back.

Elizabeth looked at Jack's brown scriffy hair and green eyes. Boy could she look at his eyes for ages. Elizabeth knew that her and Jack were meant for each other. But there was one thing standing in the way. His bad rep, even though Jack hadn't been with a girl in months she knew that it could always change.

One day Elizabeth came home and found her parenst sitting crossly in the living room.

"Hey Mom and Dad, how was your day?"

"Well Elizabeth Marie McBeth not exactly how we planned." he mother replied.

"Mom what's wrong?" Elizabeth got scared something bad had happened.

"Elizabeth your mother and I have been concerned about who you are spending your time with. We never see Katie or Adriana and we hear you are occupying your time with Jack Daniels."

"Jack Daniels, Elizabeth?" Elizabeth's mother Judy interjected.

"Why do you two care who I spend my time with. It's not like he is a bad person or commits crimes."Elizabeth yelled.

"Well if you believed your catholic faith what he does is a huge crime." Elizabeth's mother yelled back.

"Liz we want you to stop spending time with Jack Daniels"said Elizabeth's father, calmly.

"It's my life, I do everythign perfect, I always listen to you guys, for once you'd let my choose something for myself.

"Elizabeth that is enough."Judy answered

"It's never enough for you guys." Elizabeth cried and ran up to her bedroom.

Elizabeth felt like a jigsaw piece from her heart had just gone missing. Life without Jack. Sure hhe wasn't perfect but he was all Elizabeth wanted.

She snuck out of her white window onto her perfectly cut lawn. She was going to find Jack and tell him. Tell him she loved him. Tell him he was perfect.

*****************************************

Elizabeth looked over at the clock. 2:00 AM.

"Damn" she yelled.

Elizabeth uncrumpled herslef from her covers and picked up Maribelle out of her crib. As Elizabeth warmed a bottle up she felt Maribelle's steady breathing on her shoulder. Elizabeth started crying. Without Jack her baby would never get what she desrved. Without Jack Elizabeth felt like there was a chunk of her soul missing. Elizabeth couldn't understand what had happeend. She looked at Jack's fridge. There was a note.

Dear Liz,

We went for some formula. I am basically all out. Anyways I hope school rocked and I hope it wasn't too hard not to see me in the hall. It was sure as hell pretty hard not to think about you though. Anyways see you when you get ome babe.

Love your one and only,

Jack

Elizabeth smiled if only he ha waited she could have gone with him. But then where would Maribelle be? Elizabeth looked at her precious bundle of Joy. Elizabeth knew it would be a challenge but it would be worth it.

*************************************************

© Copyright 2008 Janie (eatingpopcorn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1390810-Beyond-The-Looking-Glass