*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1384176-Ask-not--prologue-
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1384176
A curious youth tries to find his place in a world where questions are forbidden by Gods.
Prologue

The beast swooped low again and I dove for cover in the tangle of undergrowth next to the road. As I stumbled to my feet I cursed myself for coming out here. I knew why it was that this beast was after me; why the gods wanted me dead.
I had sinned.
All my life I had sinned, despite my own efforts and the efforts of the community, and then, this very morning, I had crept under the gaze of the gentle guardian and left the teaching house.
I had hoped to see the world…And I found death.

Even as I ran towards the forest I knew that I would never make it. I had gone just a few paces when I felt the wind from its rustling wings. Talons dug into my shoulders and its great strength pulled me down…

Down?

I hit the ground hard. Sharp claws raked my skin. I rolled out of its grasp and watched dazedly as a tall figure strode down from the path, slung his bow over his shoulder, and calmly pulled the arrow from the creature’s side.
“Follow” he said to me, and, as he turned to walk away, I did.

My mysterious rescuer walked fast and I was hard pressed to keep up with him. Despite this I paused a moment to look at the beast that had attacked me. Its narrow frame was covered by slick scales and they glistened in lurid colours that any follower would be ashamed to wear. I wondered if it could possibly be a dragon, but I didn’t know enough about them to tell. The lustre of the scales reminded me of oil-spills on water and the sheen on its bared teeth reminded me how close I had come to death. I shuddered, and ran to catch up with my saviour.
© Copyright 2008 Adreanna (adreannarobson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1384176-Ask-not--prologue-