*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1380075-Saving-Llyn-Llydaw
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Environment · #1380075
How ecotourists meet a legend of old.
** Image ID #1380072 Unavailable **


The small group of exhausted tourists sank to the rocky ground, their breathing labored after their long climb. Just below them was their final destination, the contaminated Llyn Llydaw.

Two weeks earlier, word had gone out throughout the world to the various Arthurian historical societies. Trash and debris seriously polluted this beautiful lake, one of the many legendary resting sites of Excalibur. The lake was located one-third of the way to the top on Snowdon, Wales' highest mountain. For many years, thousands of people had visited this popular mountain. Their trash carelessly strewn throughout the area slowly found its way down into the increasingly filthy lake below. A dozen volunteer ecotourists now stood ready to help restore Llyn Llydaw back to its pristine beauty.

Howard, a slightly effeminate man from the small American town of Podunk, eventually stood and stretched to get the kinks out of his slender body. “Well, what are we waiting for? There’s a lot of work to do before sunset.” He looked up at the sky and squinted against the bright sun overhead.

Without waiting for an answer, he started to wind his way down through the rock outcroppings. The remaining members in the group straggled behind him in single file. Half an hour later, they reached the west shore of the lake.

Cynthia, a middle-aged woman from Glasgow, groaned at seeing the disintegrating piles of rotting wood and wet paper products in front of them. She muttered, “What we need is a magic wand to clean up this disgusting mess.” Those around her nodded in agreement, realizing their wish to clean up the lake was a near impossible task for their small group.

“I thought no one would ask for my help, but here I am, at your service.” Cynthia, the two other women in the group, and Howard screamed in fright at the sudden apparition standing in front of them. Within seconds, the ghostly figure solidified to reveal an elderly, bearded man wearing a royal blue robe covered with strange symbols. On his head was a worn straw hat, and he held a scepter crowned with a large emerald.

Gregory, a handsome, young athlete who often set the hearts of many a young woman aflutter, was the first to get his wits together. “Sir, who are you? What do you mean by scaring these women like this?”

“Before I answer you, might I ask who all of you are?” The old man frowned fiercely and took a step closer to the nervous ecotourists. They were all huddled together for protection against the unknown man. Pointing the scepter in Cynthia’s direction, the man continued, “I heard you say you were here to clean my lady’s home. Is that verily a truth, and you promise not to disturb her?”

Cynthia was confused. “What lady, sir? We saw no homes nearby, but we promise not to disturb anyone who lives around here.”

The ancient man shook his head, dismayed at the ignorance of modern humans. “Vivien doesn’t live on the shore, but in the lake itself. She imprisoned me centuries ago, and only your request for magical help set me free.”

Realization about the personage standing in front of them slowly crept into the minds of these fans of tales about King Arthur. They had traveled to Llyn Llydaw in an attempt to help clean and restore the ecological balance of the lake. They knew it just as one of many legendary resting places for Excalibur, Arthur’s fabled sword. The myth of Camelot was only a fanciful tale to most of them, a reason to meet with other fans of Arthurian stories. Never in their wildest imagination did they believe Vivien, otherwise known as the Lady of the Lake, ever really existed.

Since nobody had spoken for long minutes, the old man’s angry frown deepened. “Do you need my help or not? Answer me now or I must return to my prison.”

Howard surprised them by daring to move closer to the man. “Please, sir, is your name Merlin?”

“Of course I am. Who else would I be? Now, do you have need of my magic, or can you clean my lady’s home without me? Answer before I’m forced back to the cave forever.”

The ecotourists looked at the wizard Merlin, looked at the size of the filthy lake, and then all started begging for his help. Merlin silently motioned with his scepter for them to kneel on the shore’s wet sand around him. When they had done this, he moved forward to allow Llyn Llydaw’s dirty, brown water to lap over the toes of his worn boots.

Slowly, he raised the scepter high above his head, and the emerald at its tip began to glow. The brighter the emerald glowed, the darker the sky over the lake became. Brilliant bolts of lightning, followed by loud thunder, caused minor fires and earthquakes throughout the surrounding mountains. Time seemed endless to the quaking group of humans as they screamed in terror. Merlin ignored their cries and continued holding the scepter as high as he could. All the while, he chanted an incantation in a long-forgotten language. His words started out softly and increased in volume, as if trying to be heard over the raging storm.

At the exact moment when the humans thought their ears could stand no more, total silence descended over the lake and encircling mountains. The sky quickly changed from pitch black to the more peaceful shades of early dusk. When they looked around, their ears still ringing, they saw the wood, paper, empty water bottles and other debris tossed up on the shore over time had disappeared. Llyn Llydaw no longer was muddy brown and smelling of rotten trash. Instead, they looked into crystal clear, sparkling water where fish lazily swam.

Gregory was the first to notice Merlin had disappeared and remarked rather sadly, “If only Merlin would balance the ecology of the whole world, there would be no need for ecotourists!”

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Microsoft Word count = 1,000

An entry in
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1525871 by Not Available.


//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////




© Copyright 2008 J. A. Buxton (judity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1380075-Saving-Llyn-Llydaw