*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1371091-Happy-30th-Birthday-to-me
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1371091
A woman celebrates her 30th birthday all alone, or so she thinks.
Happy 30th Birthday to me, I thought miserably, gazing into a single frosted cupcake adorned with one lit birthday candle sitting before me.

It wasn’t supposed to be like this. When I was a teenager, I’d imagined my 30th birthday to be filled with fun, laughter, and friendship. I’d imagined myself to be happily married, my handsome, reliable husband and two young children lavishing presents upon me.

Until recently, I’d had the gorgeous husband. His name was Troy, and while he wasn’t the most reliable man in the world, I loved him with all my heart. We had two children; a six-year-old boy named Billy, and a four-year-old girl, Jasmin, and we were so happy together.

And then evil stole him away from me; evil in the form of Regina Upton-Smith. Regina was Troy’s Personal Trainer, and their training sessions had progressed from the gym to the bedroom. I had never met Regina, but I pictured her as tall, gorgeous and blonde. The other women always are, aren’t they?

Because of Regina, instead of having a huge party filled with family and friends, and being the centre of attention, I was sitting in the tiny flat that I hadn’t finished unpacking yet, using a cardboard box to sit my pathetic excuse for a birthday cake on. Troy had forced me out of my own home just days before my birthday, and I had no other choice but to move into the first affordable place I could find.

Enough of this feeling sorry for yourself, I scolded myself, and stood up from the tiny plastic Ikea stool I was sitting on. I decided to dress up, go out and have the time of my life, even if it was by myself.

Twenty minutes later I was dressed, my hair was flowing past my shoulders in loose waves and my face was made up flatteringly. I had even managed to find my favourite little black dress in the first box of clothes I had opened. Although I had eaten my way through three packets of Tim Tams that day, it miraculously still fit like a glove.

I headed to the first bar within walking distance; a very busy-looking place called The Electric Fish, and waited in line for ten minutes before I was let in. The bouncer looked me up and down, and then stepped aside to let me in.

Alright now, you’re going to find someone devastatingly gorgeous to dance with, and have a good birthday! I told myself, making my way to the bar. I had momentarily forgotten that I could not dance my way out of a paper bag. I bought myself a drink and sat on the bar stool, scanning the area for any good looking men. My eyes settled upon one sitting at the other end of bar, looking depressed. He was stirring his drink with his straw and looking as though the weight of the world was on his shoulders. I was just about to go over and ask him to dance when he was approached by a leggy redhead who threw herself in his lap and wrapped her arms around his neck.

Oh well, next. I rolled my eyes at the audacity of the redhead and turned abruptly to avoid staring. Suddenly, I saw something flying towards me, and then everything went black.

I awoke to an excruciating headache, and my left eye feeling as though it was the size of a soccer ball. I winced and touched my lip, which was puffy and split.
  “Hello, my darling. You’re awake.” A soft male voice spoke, sounding as though it was coming from very far away. I felt a soft kiss on my forehead.
I slowly opened my eyes and saw a man and two children, a boy and a girl, standing beside my bed, looking worried. It was Troy! What was Troy doing at my bedside? Shouldn’t he be with Regina, his oh-so personal trainer?
  “What… what happened?” I groaned in pain as every word sent pain through my head.
  “We were at your birthday party, honey, and you tripped over one of Billy’s trucks on the floor.” Billy, clinging onto Troy’s trouser leg, looked incredibly guilty and his lower lip trembled. “You knocked yourself out cold on the edge of the table and have been unconscious for a few days.”
  “I’m sorry, Mummy… I’m sorry I hurt you.” Billy mumbled and threw himself into my arms.
  “It’s okay, Billy boy. Mummy will be fine and we can all go home soon and throw her another birthday party.” Troy smiled, the corners of his eyes crinkling.

I couldn’t understand what was going on. What was Troy doing here, with me? Had he been at my birthday party? Had Regina been at my birthday party?
  “Where’s Regina?” I asked, a touch of venom to my voice.
  “Regina? Who are you talking about? Is she someone you invited to your party? I’m afraid I didn’t meet her.”
  “Troy, how old am I?” I asked urgently.
He looked confused. “Er, you turned 30 a few days ago, love. Are you okay? Your memory hasn’t been affected, has it? You don’t need to worry about anything, I’ll look after you.”
I suddenly let out a huge laugh of absolute relief. A dream, I thought, it had all been a wonderful, horrible dream!
  “No, I’m fine, Troy. Everything is absolutely fine.”
© Copyright 2008 Phoenix Flame (zeedeveelgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1371091-Happy-30th-Birthday-to-me