*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1364389-FUEL
by shalom
Rated: E · Essay · Environment · #1364389
An idea of mine dealing with oil and other fuel issues
F.U.E.L
Welcome to the future. The year is 2100 and it’s not that great. The weather during this time is out of control. We have horrible tornados and hurricanes all year long. The summers are so hot that if you step outside the heat will kill you. During the winters we have terrible blizzards and going outside surely means death. The ozone layer is pretty much gone. Which means when it is actually safe to go outside we have to have protective gear on to protect our skin from the u.v rays.
Flooding from the melting of the polar ice caps and industries destroying most of our remaining land has made our oxygen levels drop. Also because of the flooding and destruction our food supply is limited, so we have to ration our food to survive. What is the cause of this? The cause is global warming. It is too late for us to do anything to stop it, instead our scientist are trying to find a way to preserve our remaining planet and its inhabitants.
This future sounds scary doesn’t it? But there is a way to stop that future from being our own. All it will take is little changes. The main thing that will stop global warming is ending the dependence on oil. That is why the government should start F.U.E.L. F.U.E.L stands for Federal Unlimited Energy Lab. This lab is a lot like NASA. The government and taxes from oil companies fund it. Its main purpose is to find a clean, sufficient, and cheap unlimited energy source. It will have some of the greatest minds in science working there. They will work non-stop to find a better energy source to fuel this country. Let me tell you reasons why the government should start F.U.E.L just like they did NASA.
Global warming. According to Dictionary.com global warming literal translation is an increase in the average temperature of the earth’s atmosphere, especially a sustained increase sufficient to cause climate change. That doesn’t sound very good does it? Well let me explain why that is not very good. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that “long- term effect of global warming are rising sea levels, flooding, melting of polar ice caps and glaciers, fluctuations in temperature and precipitation, heat waves, forest fires, out of control weather, and increased numbers of cancerous u.v rays.”
Why is this happening to our planet? PEW center, which is a non-profitable organization whose sole mission is to provide credible information and solutions in an effort to fight global warming, states “the scientist community has proven the cause of the warming of earth is largely because of the result of emissions of carbon dioxide and other green house gases from human activities. These activities include industrial processes, fossil fuel combustion, and changes in land use; such as deforestation.” All of those activities are part of the problem but the one that should really be concentrated on is fossil fuel combustion. Oil is the most used source of energy in the world and because we use it so much it has the most effect on our planet. The green house gases from oil are so much that earth cannot discard them in time, which causes the green house gases to build up. This means our planet is being destroyed just because of oil. This is what F.U.E.L is for. Stop these effects oil is having on the planet.
If you think that global warming is not a good enough reason to end or dependence on oil here is another reason. America gets most of its oil from foreign countries. America’s main supplier is Canada, but we still get a lot of our oil from the Middle East. According to Energy Information Administration, the official energy statistics from the U.S government, out of the twenty countries in the Middle East ten of them supply us with oil. The Middle East has always had a problem with the U.S, so what if they stop giving it to us or raise the prices of their oil extremely high. Either way we might find ourselves at the mercy of our enemy just for some oil. Also we have lately been hearing that the oil supply is becoming shorter and shorter. Our planet takes along time to reproduce oil and the demand for oil is so high that we don’t give it any time to replenish itself, which is why there is a shortage now. What if one day the oil supply dried out and seeing as there is no major alternative source of fuel in production the world will fall into a depression that we cannot even begin to imagine.
In the end it does not matter which way you look at it. It does not matter if you think stopping global warming is the most important reason to find an alternate energy source. What matters now is that we know there is a problem and that there are solutions. The government most stop making decisions for today without thinking about what or whom it might affect in the future. This is why our government should start F.U.E.L so it can stop the destruction that the government and the rest of the world have caused.
© Copyright 2007 shalom (jewishgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1364389-FUEL