*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1359792-Moon-Whisper-Chapter-One
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1359792
A story of eleven brave young adults, who seek to rid evil on their world.
Chapter One

"Kylian, the time is near. We must prepare an attack on those who shut us out."
"No, Erin. An attack now would start a chain reaction that we couldn't stop. Besides, I have it under control.'
"But suppose it doesn't, we should be ready."
"You question me, Gabriel?"
"No, Kylian. Not at all, sir. I want to make sure that we are prepared."
"Trust me, my friends. Everything is under control."
"But what about the ainu, let alone the pherainu?"
"The ethereals are a neutral party. They will not dare interfere with earthly matters."
"And the Noleveo?"
"I took care of that when they sealed us in here."
"But there is a rumor of eleven children with the Noleveo powers."
"A child's tale. Besides, if it was true, I have several attack forces ready to eliminate them."
"Kylian, we cannot sit back and do nothing."
"You want a war? Fine. Have the goblin force near Caran attack the valley town!"
A beast of a man storms out of a decrepit and lifeless room and heads towards a tall and dreary castle.
"Kylian!"
"Erin. Those fools do not realize what needs to happen. We must do nothing in order to free ourselves from this prison. And we will one day."


A quiet town lies in the calming valley. The forest encircles the town and its fertile fields. The mountains give it protection from any harm. A temperate paradise calms the minds of its inhabitants.
The town of Caran is home to a melting pot of all races, who are busily working to ensure peace and civility.
At the end of the main road stands a tall castle. This castle once stood proud, with mighty guards standing tall and proud. But in time, age came over this place, causing the castle to fall apart in some places. The guards have been affected by age, with many of the guardsmen being 50 years old, wearing dented armor and carrying dull weapons.
But when people enter the castle, they are baffled by its beauty. The halls are filled with masterful pieces of artwork and tapestries, hanging on its walls. The castle interior looks more like a museum of art than a castle.
This castle is home to the Galanodels, a human-elf couple from Laiqua. They built this castle for their eldest son, Ezekiel. When built, it became a second home when the fall months hit their home in Laiqua.
As time went by, more and more people came to live in this land. When the population of the region became a problem, the high priest and the governor of Vindya came and created Caran, and named the Galanodels rulers of the region.
The Galanodels traveled to Caran from time to time, until their second son, Joseph, was born in Laiqua, three years after Ezekiel's (now called Zeke) birth.
Thomas and Elena Galanodel gave ownership to their sons, Zeke and Joseph, when they became of age. They traveled there along with Zeke's friend and personal bodyguard, Raine Juffery. The boys were only 23, 15, and twelve at the time.
Zeke, 21, who studied sorcery and the strange art of alchemy since his second birthday, was concerned with the way the city was governed. He studied law for three years, and when he ran for governor of Caran, he won, becoming the youngest governor of the Indo nations, and the first half-elf governor to win at the age of 19.
Joseph, 18, is a free-spirited youth, who does not believe in being confined behind castle walls. He taught himself the arts of a barbarian, making it even more difficult to control. His attempts to leave are usually thwarted by Raine. When he left for Caran, he had noticed several illegal colonies within the Laiqua border.
Raine Juffery is a ninja, raised in the island village of Nar, one of the islands of Náro. He was trained by highly-skilled ninjas, but left to train by himself. Now at 24, he holds records in many cities for Best Marksmanship and Fastest Shot.
The three has lived together in the castle peacefully, continuing their training until their skills were needed.

One day in the month of Lothron, while the city continued to prosper, a loud boom was heard inside the castle. Soon footsteps echoed throughout the halls of the castle.
"Joseph, you idiot!" a guardsmen shouted. "You will be in big trouble when Zeke finds out about this!"
Joseph, now a stout young man dressed in blue-colored peasant's clothing with a huge great axe on his back, ran as fast as he can through the halls. He had just accidentally destroyed of his brother's laboratories.
He decided to turn the next corner and escape out of the north tower, when he suddenly ran into someone. He fell on the ground and felt a sharp pain in his left ankle.
"Joseph, you okay?" a voice asked.
"No, my ankle hurts. I think I twisted it." He looked up and saw the voice came from Zeke. Oh great, he thought; now I'm in trouble.
"Alright, let's get you in here," Zeke said as he helped his brother into an empty guestroom.

"How did you find me, Zeke?" Joseph asked. He sat on the edge of the bed; his ankle wrapped up and in a splint.
"I just took a lucky turn and ran into you," Zeke said calmly.
"You okay?"
"Just a bruise. No big deal."
"I am sorry for the explosion. I didn't mean to."
"It's okay. But you have to learn not to be so reckless, especially with things in the labs."
"I heard of something that could increase the strength of my attacks. That's why I was down there."
"Nothing in the labs can increase the strength of your attacks. But you can visit the training ground in a little bit."
"Thanks, Zeke."
"No problem, Joseph."
The brothers talked a while longer until a guardsmen found them.
"Master Galanodel?"
"Yes, Captain?"
"Master Juffery wants to see you, sir. He said it's urgent."
"Thank you. I'll be there shortly. He's at the outpost?"
"Yes, sir."
"Thank you."
"What about my ankle?" Joseph asked.
"Drink this potion. You'll be fine in a few minutes."
Zeke walked to the mountain outpost where Raine was. His slender appearance didn't make him look like royalty. He wore a red cotton shirt, black cotton pants, leather boots, and a flowing red scarf around his neck. Underneath his casual appearance, he wore a full suit of chain mail.
At the outpost, he saw a slim man, wearing a black ninja garb, with silver flames on his shirt. He also wore a fire insignia on his forehead, symbolizing he is a ninja from his village.
As Zeke approached the man, he sensed that the man's guard was low, but knew he was expecting an attack.
"So, what's the urgent news, Raine?" Zeke asked the man.
"Sorry to disrupt brotherly-love time,” Raine joked.
"Ha-ha. Is that all?"
"Someone's in Caran's border. Look," Raine said as he pointed to a cloud of smoke coming out of the woods.
"Maybe it's someone camping."
"I thought that it was too. But the guards have seen the same smoke for the past three days."
"How far away?"
"About ten miles."
"Get the whole town in the castle. Have Joseph help you. When the both of you are done, meet me in the fields."
"Understood."
As soon as Zeke left the outpost, Raine vanished.
As Zeke walked through town, he saw the fear and panic in the faces of his people. Their voices filled the air as fear descended upon them.
When Zeke reached the fields, the voices of despair had faded. All was quiet. The streets were bare. The town was silent.
Soon a shriek of rage came from the forest. Birds flew away in fear. The trees shook as the unknown fear began to move.
"So, is that the end of Caran?" Joseph asked he approached Zeke.
"God, I hope not," Zeke replied, unsure of his answer.
"It won't. Not while we defend it. Besides, the gods favor us with a good leader and protector," Raine said as he appeared out of nowhere.
"Thanks. Is everyone safe?"
"Safe inside," Raine answered.
"Here's your staff and ring. Can't fight without them, now can you?" Joseph handed Zeke a large quarterstaff and a ruby ring.
"Here they come," Raine said as he pointed to the forests.
All three looked patiently, as the oncoming army approached. The identity became known, as goblin after goblin exited the forest. They were carrying splintered shields and dull short swords, and came marching fiercely towards the town.
"Goblins? But I thought they were sealed inside of there,” Raine exclaimed.
"You mean from Qualinosta?" Joseph asked.
"Yes, but how did they get past the barrier?"
"Quiet, look at them all,” Zeke said, pointing at them all.
The three of them looked to see the goblin army in full.
"Must be at least 100," Raine said.
"My, aren't they obsessive." Joseph added.
"They will not destroy my town. I will not let it happen," Zeke said, his voice filled with anger.
They all saw one lone goblin walk forward towards them.
"Maybe to negotiate peace?" Joseph wondered.
"I doubt it, but if we come to terms, we might not fight," Zeke said.
"Darn. I was hoping for battle."
Zeke walked towards the oncoming goblin. As he walked, he thought to himself, is he really trying to negotiate? No. Peace doesn't not 100 troops behind you.
Both the goblin and Zeke met at the halfway mark in the fields. Tensions began to rise when they met.
"What are your terms, filthy human?" The goblin asked.
Zeke smiled at the human comment. The goblin didn't see he was a half-elf.
"What are yours? If you attack, we will defend."
"Your town is a speck of shit in the eyes of my masters. The Qualinosta will crush the outside world and kill every living thing!"
"Good to know. Now hear this. This town is mine, and I will not let some piss-ant like you raze it to the ground!" He spoke back.
Suddenly, a bright red light blinded everyone. When the light dimmed, there was Zeke, standing over the corpse of the goblin.
Joseph and Raine both ran towards Zeke, as the goblin army screamed and charged in anger and rage.
"I think we have come to terms, huh, Zeke?" Joseph said as he reached his brother.
"Zeke, the cloning ability, now!" Raine shouted.
"Right. Joseph, use this circle to shield us," Zeke told Joseph as he handed him an iron circle
"But you're the..." Joseph started.
"Just do it, Joseph. Now!"
Joseph threw the circle on the ground and placed both of his hands on it. Within seconds, an iron bubble covered half the field, concealing the three young men inside. The army of goblins stopped, and was confused and enraged about this tactic.
"What the Hell is this?"
"Come on out, you cowards!"
"Fight us, dammit!"
Soon, the bubble slowly disappeared to reveal multiple bodies falling on their feet. When the smoke cleared, clones of Raine and Zeke were ready for battle. The goblins stammered backwards in fear, as the newly created army charged forth towards them.
Soon, battle cries filled the air. Swords clanged against shields, armor, flesh and bone.
The battle was tough. The goblin force never gave, although the three young men, along with their copies, controlled the fight. Raine took out 15 with constant blows to the goblins' head. Zeke kept on breaking every limb on his opponents to incapacitate them. Joseph sliced off head after head.

After hours of fighting, 87 goblins lay slain in the fields; more than hundred injured. The stench of goblin, blood, and rotten flesh started to fill the air over the town. Caran has been successfully defended.
Zeke stood before the carnage that he and his comrades had done. His heart still pounding from the battle. He tried to clear his mind from today's exhausting ordeal. He turned to see Joseph walking towards Raine, who was trying to collect the daggers he used in the fight.
"You guys alright?' Zeke asked.
"Yeah, the battle took a lot out of me. Keeping the clones from disappearing before the end of the battle exhausted most of my chi," Raine responded.
"Man, that was intense," Joseph commented.
"Yeah."
"Master Galanodel! Master Galanodel!" A castle guardsman cried out from the edge of town.
"Yes, Lieutenant?"
"The council requests your presence, sir!"
"Tell them I'll be there in a while. I have to change first!"
"Yes, sir!"
The guard ran off towards the town. The three started to walk towards the castle.
"Zeke, something has been bothering me all through the fight," Joseph said.
"What is it, Joseph?"
"Well, why did you have me activate the array? I have no alchemic talent."
"I've been wondering that myself," Raine added.
"Well, Joseph does have some talent. Everyone does. Otherwise, he would not have activated the array, creating the bubble."
"But couldn't you have done it?" Joseph asked.
"Not if I was giving most of my chi to Raine. The array needs a person's energy as well as talent."
"Does this mean I know alchemy?" Joseph asked eagerly.
"Not quite, but you have potential."
"Oh."
The three young men continued to talk as they walked towards the castle.

"What?" one man shouted.
"Qualinosta?!?" another screamed.
"According to our hostage Master Zeke got, that is where his master lives,” the captain responded.
"But a force that big could decimate every city in the region."
"The way the goblins say it, that's their plan," Zeke said. "But what do the Qualinosta want with the outside world?"
A long silence filled the room.
"I didn't get you involved with a matter this colossal."
"I am governor of Caran. I care for this town."
"Understood. Captain, bring in the visitors," High Elder Carter commanded.
Soon, three cloaked men walked in and stood next to the men.
"I appreciate you three for coming on such short notice."
"Are these three them?" One of them asked.
"Yes, but let me tell them first."
"Very well."
"Tell us what?" Zeke asked, confused as Joseph and Raine.
"Do you three know of the story of the Noleveo?"
"All I know is that they existed."
"You mean the story that Mom and Dad told us when we were growing up?" Joseph asked.
"Yes. Parents did tell it as a child's tale. The Monarchy wanted to remove it form history, but nothing could stop it from spreading to others." Carter said.
"So what about it?" Zeke asked.
"Do you remember the part where the Noleveo sealing their powers into eleven random children?"
"That's just a rumor. No one actually saw them do it."
"If it was real, do you know why they did that?"
"No reason was ever given. Hence it is being a rumor."
"They did it to continue protecting the land they loved. But unfortunately, they were killed."
"But it doesn't explain the rumor,” Raine commented.
"It isn't a rumor,” one of the cloaked men said.
"After 50 years of searching through the Noleveo personal belongings, we have found the names of children and which Noleveo they received their newly-gotten powers from," Carter said.
"You mean they actually existed?" Zeke exclaimed.
"Yes. Four humans, two elves, two half-elves, a dwarf, a gnome, and a halfling were chosen, according to the other Elders."
"So the barrier there now is weakening?" Raine asked.
"I'm afraid so."
"Then we need to find these eleven as soon as possible." Zeke said.
"I was hoping you wouldn't say that, but it is your destiny."
The three young men looked confused as High Elder Carter nodded towards the cloaked men. The men walked in front of the three.
"You may remove your cloaks, gentlemen. It is time."
The men removed their cloaks to reveal themselves as ghosts. Shocked by this, Joseph fell backwards, almost knocking into the council.
"These ghosts are the last remaining spirits of three of the Noleveo," Carter explained. "The Blue Noleveo, the Silver Noleveo, and the Red Noleveo."
The young men looked at the ghosts and were frightened to see that they looked just like the ghosts.
"Yes, the Noleveo here are your ancestors. Well, not blood related anyway. The way you look is the same as they did when they were alive 50 years ago."
"You mean?" Joseph started.
"Yes. The three of you are indyos (descendants) of these three Noleveo. Raine Juffery, you are the indyo of the Noleveo of the Warriors. Joseph Galanodel, you are the indyo of the Noleveo of the Barbarians. And Ezekiel Galanodel, you are the indyo of the High Noleveo, the Noleveo of Alchemy."
The three tried to absorb all that was coming at them.
"I understand that the shock is immense in so short of time, but time is short. But there is one more thing that these three need to do."
The ghosts touched their respected indyo and touched each one on the forehead. Suddenly, the young men felt a rush of power, knowledge, and wisdom flowing through them. Generations of information and memories being crammed inside each one.
The Noleveo' ghosts let go of each young man. The three fell to the ground, completely drained of energy.
"Guards, take them to their rooms. They need their rest," Carter said.
"Our time on this plane is over. I thank you for finding our heirs,” one of the ghosts said.
"I should thank you, for giving hope to everyone."
Within seconds, the ghosts were gone. Their deed was done.

"The ghosts of three of the Noleveo have arrived, sir."
"Then it has begun."
"Sir, what is troubling you?"
"Do you think they have any idea what lies ahead of them?"
"I've seen these three in action. All three of them are very skilled. They'll be fine."
"How do you know that, Namna?"
"I don't. But I do have Estel watching over them. And the Echuiver guarding them."
"I should have killed that demon when I had the chance."
"We only protect, not kill. The gods wanted this to happen for a reason."
"Times have changed, Ambar. You and Maranwe aren't in control as you think you are."
"I know. But we have to hope for peace."
"The barrier is weak. The ethereal plane has to interfere."
"We have to wait. Until they need our help."
© Copyright 2007 Phantom Space Man (zion_writer14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1359792-Moon-Whisper-Chapter-One