*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1358571-The-passage
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1358571
Its something you need to read to understand it or be terribly confused.
Ever since I was born things hurt, it always does. It hurt to take my first breath,as I tried to wiggle free gasping to keep alive.The gush of air in my tiny lungs burnt it’s insides like smoke filling up an empty room.
Growing up hurt as I felt each muscle in my body tear as they stretched,a blanket not enough to cover me fully. Pulling,tugging,tossing and turning. When darkness fell,it hurt to fall asleep and when dawn broke out,the bright lights poked my eye-poked my slumber.Much to its denial it rose.
And then it was any other night I fell asleep and when I got up It was darker than always. My eyes peered into the black,hoping to shape anything out of it and my mind groped. Walking and stumbling,I made my way as the darkness slowly became a sickly pale.I was almost certain I was alone until I saw a man. He was tall and lean,his gaunt face,sunken eyes comforted me and I watched the cold wind play with the long strands of hair in his face.
“I’ve been waiting” he said,except he didn’t say it.
He walked slowly ahead and I followed.trying hard to keep distracted at the nothingness following me and I listened to my foot steps,pretending to hear his as well.
It was only when we got to the passage that he let out his long steely fingers. I put my tiny hands in his,cold meeting cold.
“Only open your eyes when we stop walking”.That’s what he said,he didn’t even ask me to close my eyes but I did and we entered the passage together. It was warm and my shoes felt empty.
I wasn’t supposed to panic but fear grabbed me,shook me and even though my feet were moving my heart felt like it had stopped.
“Open your eyes when we stop walking”, those words kept ringing in my head…but my eye lids started fluttering…
Curiousity was it?
“I shouldn’t, I shouldn’t, I….” my thoughts drifted and I felt them open slowly,carefully and quietly.I was scared he maybe hear them open. My eyes fell on the shadow holding my hand.
My screams filled the passage like the air filling my lungs,like the smoke filling up the empty room….
It wasn’t a man anymore but a little girl. It was me holding my hand,and then I died again.
© Copyright 2007 potato tuber (sadonlhamo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1358571-The-passage