*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1334859-Wild-boy
by nada
Rated: E · Short Story · Mystery · #1334859
abandoned at an early age, surviving in the wild(streets) a child encounters love.
A high milky-white moon erriely hung across the still night. A bitter wind scattered half-eaten burger across the street. Skulking behind a trash bin, wild-eyed dirty kid made a lumbering dash into the street to lunge at the cold burger. Sitting on his haunches he crammed the entire burger in his mouth as he made deep growling noises in his throat. Ketchup splattered on his chin. His eyes were constantly alert to the slightest movement. With the agility of a wolf the child scampered back pass the trash bin and into the dank alley to disappear. The foul stench of death  and drugs clung to the graffitty riddled walls as to the beraggled many who took residence in the forgotten places. Narrowing his quick eyes the boy keeping to the edge of the darkness crept pass those few sleeping and the ones that caught sight of him looked away indifferently.  The chilly wind swept up his torn pants as he lay down drawning himself into a tiny ball. "Move boy, barked Officer Champs lifting his foot to nudge the still body of the boy!" Groaning, the boy opened his bleary eyes to see a man wearing dark clothing hanging over him shouting. Fear ran cold down his veins as he clumsly jumped to his feet. Officer Champs expression didn't change as the stench from the boy reached his nostrils. "Boy, what are you doing out here, where do you live, Champs questioned wearily?"Fright danced in the boy's eyes as he stepped back from the danger.  He'd seen kids living and barely surviving out here too many times to count and it still shook him up. Champs ran his hand tiredly through his hair. The boy bared his yellowing teeth menacingly. "Hey, hey, I'm not here to harm you, I just wanna help you, Champs said calmly. He raised his hands to show he had nothing in them. Wary eyes narrowed on Champs. The boy sniffed at the chilly wind curling around them. He made a deep noise in his throat. Running feet could be heard coming closer. He leaped onto a trash can and snarled at the new threat. "No, no, don't be afraid that's my partner, now, come on down from there, suggested Champs stepping towards the boy. His partner rounded the corner just as he spotted a boy scrambling over the alley wall. "Stop, police, he shouted brandishing his gun!" Yards from his partner to be seen, Champs bellowed, "No Scott, he's just a frightened kid, let'em go!" A quick glance at the alley wall showed no kid.Holstering his glock 50, Scott jogged over to Champs. "Why did you let him run off that's the same kid who'd been spotted stealing from Everett's Warehouse? Shaking his shaggy head Champs answered sharply," That kid, is half starved and scared out of his skull! "Ok, ok, I hear ya but Champs we see kids like this everyday what's so different about that one, finished Scott cynically!" Yeah, you never cared before mocked a small voice in Champ's head. Ignoring that Champs clapped Scott on the back replying certainly,",  Maybe, he isn't different but I'll bet you ten to one that kid isn't a run away, I doubt anybody is looking for him." Scott detected sadness behind Champs words and couldn't disagree. "Yeah, he's probably a throw-away, remarked Scott!" Anger curdled deep inside Champs chest. Why do people have kids and dump them off when it gets tough he thought? He barely resisted the urge to ram his fist through the nearby trash bin. "Let's go, I need to get out of here, he snapped!" Scott nodded,the old softie let these types of cases do him in he knew the best thing to do was to let Champs cool down. He stepped into a pace beside Champs giving one cop look back catching sight of a small face peeking out over the trash bin."What the hell, cursed Scott amazed!" That little rug rat managed to make it back across the wall without either of them seeing him. Champs automatically dropped low drawing out his gun."What is it? he whispered. "There, see him said Scott pointing towards the trash bin as the small face ducked down.
© Copyright 2007 nada (thebigkid at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1334859-Wild-boy