*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1334439-Journey
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by miked
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1334439
Beginning of suspense story about a guy and an aircraft carrier...
The birds were chirping insanely. A dog started barking. On this otherwise beautiful, late, autumn afternoon something was causing a disturbance. The birds scattered. The heat hovered over the pond in a haze which is exactly how it felt. The wind started to pick up. I grabbed my jacket from the back of the boat when there was a sudden jerk. The boat slammed into a rock disabling the engine. The slowly setting sun sank behind wind whipped clouds. I went looking for my radio to try and get help. By the time I located it, I had drifted far out of sight of land. I dropped anchor in hope of hitting bottom. It slowed the boat frenzied pace, but it never touched anything solid. I tried my radio, but I couldn’t get through.
As the shadows began to lengthen and my hunger reared its inevitable head, I realized my half eaten box of Cocoa Krispies was all I had left to eat. Then I heard a loud horn. Now I knew the sound of official horn like the Coast guard or Harbor Master but this was the likes of which I had never heard before in my entire life. A harbor master drove up as I was waving hands. I was so thrilled to see the harbor master I didn’t even think to ask him about his strange-sounding horn. Ill I could think about was getting home. The harbor master woke me out of my day dream when he screamed that he didn’t have time to tow my boat back and that I must board immediately. I climbed aboard and headed home. as we stepped off the headlights of his illuminated the reason for his frenzy - an aircraft carrier was pulling into the bay and I was right in its path! I decided I had to jump.
© Copyright 2007 miked (yanksfan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1334439-Journey