*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1330132-Judith-and-Stella---Part-Two
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Spiritual · #1330132
Two best friends embark on a journey and find their solemates.
Chapter Eleven – Mystical Moments
Things were falling into a pattern with the three of them tending the store. Stella and Judith would take every class that Isabel taught and were amazed at the numerous types of information she possessed.
One of the things Isabel had been encouraging both women to do, was a vision quest. Where ordinarily this would be done out in nature, for safety sake, and the fact that Judith would sunburn in no time, they decided to do it indoors.
They decided to close the store early for this and filled one of the rooms with all the elements of the earth. Stella brought in some plants from the front of the store. Isabel brought the rock garden waterfall that usually sat on the counter. Judith set out 4 pine scented candles around the room and lit them.
“Let’s see”, Isabel said, “We have the elements of air, water, fire, and earth. I think we’re good to go!”
“I feel like we’re missing something” Judith said.
“Pillows” Isabel answered, “You’ll want to sit on pillows or this hard floor will really get very uncomfortable. “
“I can hear the Native Americans booing us right now” Stella joked.
Isabel sat in the arm chair and started the CD player. The sound of softly chirping birds filled the air with an occasional fluttering of their wings.
Both Judith and Stella sat themselves on the two pillows, straightened their spine and closed their eyes.
Isabel began:
“Take a long deep breath and let it out slowly to the count of four. And again, two three, four and out, two three four.”
“Continue to breathe the cleansing air into your lungs and slowly release it. You are releasing all the stress, aches and pains and problems which are plaguing you. “
“Close by, you hear the water of a meandering stream flowing down the rolling hills. From a distance you can hear the birds happily singing in the trees, and feeding their young.”
“You can feel the warm sun on your back and shoulders as you continue to infuse your body with cleansing breathes.”
“As you sit, you hear the rustling of leaves as an animal approaches. You look over to it and welcome it. This is your totem animal who will guide you on your journey. You may find other totem animals along the way who will join you on your path. “
Judith, deep into the meditation, saw a small dragon about three feet tall, walk up to her. It was green with red markings on the tips of its wings, and on its chest. Its head was lowered as it approached her.
“Welcome to my journey” Judith greeted her guest.
The dragon seemed to bow down, flapping its wings slowly in its own greeting ritual.
Raising its head up it now stood tall and proud in front of her appearing much taller than the original three feet she surmised earlier.
“I am your guide, I am your protector, I am called ‘Fire-wing’ “
Judith knew from her studies that the dragon represented a mighty magical animal. It is, of course, a creature of fire but is also related to the power of the land. Another name for raising power is to invoke the "Eye of the Dragon". The whole Earth was viewed by the Druids as the body of the Dragon.
“I am honored to have you by my side” Judith replied, “I am called Judith”
In front of her eyes Fire-wing grew to about the size of a horse.
“Come, sit yourself upon me and we shall begin our quest” The dragon used its tail to assist Judith onto his back. Judith watched as they passed over forests and fields, mountains and rivers, and through the clouds. This was the most thrilling ride she had ever been on. She wondered if she was in a different realm because nothing looked remotely familiar to her.
After what seemed like about thirty minutes, Judith spotted a village within a valley down below. Fire-wing set her down at the edge of the town as children came to welcome her. A dark haired maiden who looked very familiar also greeted her. She offered her hand and smiled.
“We have been expecting you” she said as she led Judith into the village. Fire-wing took off behind her saying, “I will know when you need me, I won’t be far”
She began to walk to the center of the village. There were huts of different sizes arranged in a circle, and an inner circle as well. In the center of the village was what appeared to be a marble alter.
A large boar was prepared and then placed on the center of the alter. Flowers and palm fronds covered the marble like a rich blanket. Ripe fruits and vegetables surrounded the platters of fish and roasted fowl as ale flowed from barrels. The workers would drink from the barrels as they finished their assigned duties.
“As you see, m’lady, we have prepared a great feast in your honor”
“Why in my honor?” Judith asked. “Why have I been chosen to be honored?”
“Because,” the maiden continued, “You have freed the dragon to once more protect our lands”
“I don’t understand”
“You will” she replied; “Now we must prepare you for the feast.”
“As long as I’m not the feast” Judith whispered nervously.
The girl laughed softly “No, M’Lady ‘you” are not the feast”
Judith was led to an area just outside the village surrounded by trees, bushes and flowers of many colors. In the center was a pool of water, being fed from a waterfall from the mountains above.
The chestnut eyed maiden assisted her in bathing and dressing.
Judith was dressed in a long green gown, trimmed in red. A hooded green robe, also trimmed in red, was placed upon her shoulders. The maiden handed Judith a Jasper amulet and bracelet. Then she handed Judith her jasper staff.
“How’d you …” Judith stopped and thought for a second. “Never mind” she said, “its not important in the grand scheme of things.”
Her hair was brushed and braided across the front of her shoulders. When all was perfect, they escorted Judith to the center of the village.
The sun was just beginning to set as she approached the alter. Villagers surrounded her on all sides and began to chant as she entered the circle. Judith climbed the few steps of the platform the alter was perched upon, stopped and turned to the villagers.
She heard a strong voice lead the chant.
Their voices rose in unison saying “We honor the fire, we honor the Fire Dragon, and we honor the Keeper of the dragons.
From the east end of the village they heard the flapping of dragon wings and Fire-wing appeared from the clouds above them and landed next to Judith. The crowd cheered once more. The Shaman of the village approached the two of them.
“We are most grateful to you for your rescue of our great fire dragon. An evil curse was placed upon him and his spirit was locked in the golden idol for all of eternity. Until now, the only one, the one, the seed of our ancient queen can make right what has gone so wrong. “
Judith remembered the golden dragon she had saved from the museum. She had it safely perched it in her home. She had placed it on her coffee table and honored it as a beautiful creature and work of art.
Fire-wing bowed down to her in gratitude. Then he flew over the villagers and up into the sky. He produced a frightfully loud roar while spewing fire into the air and flew back from whence he came.
“We Eat, We Dance, We Celebrate” the Shaman declared. As he turned to look at Judith he continued, “You must get your food first”. Once the feast and celebration is over, we shall join together in planning what lies ahead for you.”
Again Judith felt honored, and yet slightly confused by the last comment. Nonetheless, she accepted her food and sat down to enjoy the feast with the Chief and the others.
Dancers came out of a nearby hut and began a spiral dance around a fire that had been built off to one side. Several Maidens also joined in the dancing. There were several other villagers drumming softly as the dancers moved around the circle raising their intensity to represent the raising of energy and then they stopped. The flame rose up above the village and lit the sky. When it backed down again all the villagers cheered.
“W e shall have a fruitful year ahead of us” The Shaman announced, “And may our women be fruitful as well”
There was more cheering, more dancing, more eating and more drinking. After a while the people of the village moved on to their huts. Even the maiden had gone. The Shaman looked at Judith and announced; “It is time”
He led her into his hut and motioned her to sit down. His wife, who looked amazingly like Stella joined them. “My wife, Leah” he said introducing them. “I know who you are” she smiled addressing Judith. As he sat down across from Judith and his wife, he lit a peace pipe. He took in a deep breath from the pipe and passed it to Judith.
She too inhaled the hot, spicy blend of tobacco and herbs and felt a little bit woozy as she exhaled. She politely passed the pipe to the Shaman’s wife.
“The dragon you have acquired must be returned to its ancient home for the curse to be fully lifted.” The Shaman informed her. “You must be the one to return it and it must be done before the setting of the next full moon.”
“That’s way to soon” Judith blurted out.
“Yes”, the Shaman replied, “The golden dragon must be returned to its home in order for Fire Wing to be freed for good. If this is not done, the dragon spirit will be locked away within the Idol and can never be released again. That is why you must do this.”
“Where do I return it to?” Judith asked.
“In your world the place is called Australia” Leah answered. “A wise man will lead you to the sacred village of Uluru, but be aware there will be many dangers. It was not safe to travel there centuries ago, and it still is not be safe to travel there without experienced guides and body guards”
The Shaman continued “You must tell no one of your mission; for there are many who would steal the idol to enhance their own wealth.”
Judith looked at both the Shaman and his wife “How will I protect it?” she asked.
“The wise man I spoke of is a man called by the name “Reed.” He is of a future generation from our village. He has great knowledge of the ways of our early ancestors and can be trusted. You must find him and ask him to tell you the legend of the cursed dragon. If his story is the same as we have told you, then you will know he is the one and he will be the one to help you return the dragon to its home.”
“How will I find him?”
“He will find you; now return to your homeland and begin your journey. We wish you well”
Judith felt her head begin to spin a little and soon she heard a soft voice.
“Now slowly come back into our circle at the count of three” It was Isabel’s voice and it was the only thing she now heard. “Three, two one”
Judith and Stella looked at each other.
“Now tell me” Isabel inquired, “What did you discover on your quest?”
“I was a Shaman’s wife” Stella declared. “And a great priestess entered our village after saving our dragon”
Judith’s eyes widened. “That was you?”
“Yes, it was, and the priestess looked remarkably like you”, Stella continued, staring back at Judith.
“But it was me, but….how can that be?”
Isabel interrupted the conversation. “It is not unusual for many people who have been soul mates in the past to appear in the same vision, especially when their goals are the same.”
“Are we really supposed to do this?” Asked Stella.
Judith, looking stunned replied, “We need to return the golden dragon back to its home in Australia.”
“And I, as the Shaman’s ancestral wife, am to accompany her.” Stella added.
“Do you know of such a golden dragon” Isabel inquired
“Yes, I have one in my apartment. I found it beneath my family home in a hidden fortress; it’s the only thing I kept for myself. The rest was sold to the maritime museam”
“Can this be real?” Stella asked again “Are we really supposed to return it?”
“What do you think?” Isabel asked.
“It seemed awfully real to me” Judith replied. “Is there even such a place as Uluru ‘in’ Australia?”
“It’s not hard to look it up online”, Stella answered. “And perhaps we might even find something on the so called “curse of the dragon”
“Well, it looks to me like you two have your work cut out for you.” Isabel remarked.
“Do you really think we have to do this? They both looked into Isabel’s eyes.
“I have learned many times not to question the messages of my inner Shaman. I say this is a journey you must take. Were you given a time frame? She queried.
“Before the setting of the next full moon” Judith replied
“Then you two had better start packing. You have a lot of work to do”
“And who will watch the store?” Stella queried.
“I’ve run it for several years without the two of you,” Isabel remarked. “I’m sure I can handle it for thirty more days.
“Like the lady said,” Judith announced “We have work to do!”
Before she did anything else, the following morning; Judith arranged to have her dragon carefully packed up in a wooden crate and dropped brought to the Meditation center. It would be safer in their Library, which was locked up at night; and had an alarm system. Judith was going to make sure nothing happened to that dragon.

Chapter Twelve – Going Down Under
Stella quickly found information about the city of ‘Uluru” on the internet. Its location was smack in the middle of the Australian Continent.
“Listen to this”, Stella called out. Judith came over to her to see what she had found. Stella read out loud as Judith looked quietly over her shoulder.
“Well at least we know something about where we are going.” Stella kidded.
“I know if we went to the Maritime Museum they would have information on ship wrecks and where those ships originated. Maybe, just maybe” Stella continued “we can find someone there who would be willing to help us out.”
“Don’t forget,” Judith added, “I’m not exactly supposed to tell a lot of people about this. You never know what their ultimate agenda is.”
“Well, I could use a break” Stella complained, “I’m beginning to get cross-eyed”
“Me too!” Judith laughed. “How about getting some lunch before we go to the museum and snoop around?”
“That’s perfect,” Stella agreed, “You ARE buying, of course!”
**************
When they got to the museum there was a very attractive man speaking to the short, balding curator who had received Judith’s find. The taller, more handsome man immediately stopped speaking and locked his eyes on Stella.
Stella also noticed him. “Oh my God, Judith” she exclaimed in a hushed voice. “He’s the one in my vision, my spiritual guide”
“I remember” Judith replied, “It can’t be”
“I tell you Judith, it is!”
As they approached the curator, he turned around to see what, or who had caught the gentleman’s eye.
“Ms Randall” he cheerfully called to her. “What a pleasure to see you once again”
“And it is my pleasure to see you. This is my dear friend Stella Watson”
“I’m so pleased to meet you too, Madame. Let me introduce you to Reed Anderson, our visiting expert who has just arrived to view your collection. He claims it originated in the Aboriginal Outback of Australia.”
“My word” Judith replied, “tell me more”
“I’d love to, he replied, “How about over dinner tonight? Will you two lovely ladies help a stranger in town find a good place to eat?” His brown eyes were looking directly into those of Stella as if he were talking to only her.
“Yes!” Stella replied, “I’m mean, it’s okay with me if it’s ok with you Judith.”
“That sounds wonderful.” Judith added, “We can meet you here at 6:30 and go to dinner from there.”
“I too, will be joining you,” the curator replied,” We’ll make it a foursome.
“Of course you will, Alfred,” Reed responded not wanting to insult the old man; “of course you will”
“Now, let’s show Mr. Anderson your collection.” The curator announced.
As they walked around the Museum Reed towered over the rest of them. He had to be over 6 feet tall Judith thought. His black hair was neatly cut about medium long and seemed to be thick, as well as wavy. He was very informative as he went from item, to item. Alfred returned to his office; since he had heard all this earlier in the day.
During dinner Stella and Judith learned that Reed Anderson was an Austrailian Outback Expert on loan to the Maritime Museum. He had been asked, by the curator, to validate the collection and perhaps accompany it on a tour around the nation.
Judith suspected that the curator wanted to hear what was being said during dinner, and lead the conversation away from various topics, like the pending sale he was hopeing to make. Something about him made Judith very uneasy. She couldn’t figure out why, just that it did.
Stella and Reed exchanged several lingering glances. Although Stella was not drinking, she still acted as if she were a little tipsy.
“They would make a pretty nice couple” Judith thought.
“So Reed, what else did you discover about the treasure I found?” Judith interupted. She had grown tired of entertaining the curator.
“Oh, excuse me, let me continue… According to information I have discovered, the golden dragon and the rest of the treasure was on board a ship from Australia to South America. It apparently sank off the coast of Chili in a fierce paciffic hurricane. I presume it was discovered by your sea captain and recovered. It has never been seen until now.”
“Why that’s amazing” Stella remarked, her eyes glued on his handsome features.
“I understand you have the dragon from the collection” Reed asked looking directly into Judith’s eyes.

“Why, yes I do” Judith replied. “Why do you ask?”

“Because” Reed continued “Legend has it that a curse was placed on their dragon god and his spirit is locked away into a golden statue. Because of this, the only dragons in Australia now are the Eastern water dragons.”

What in the world are they? Stella asked.

Reed replied “Their scientific Name is Physignathus lesueurii . But that’s a lesson for another time. He turned to Stella.
He added. “Joseph Campbell in the ‘The Power of Myth’ viewed the dragon as a symbol of divinity or transcendence because it represents the unity of Heaven and Earth by combining the serpent form, which is earthbound with the bat or bird form which is airborne.”
“These dragons embody both male and female traits. Another contrast in the way dragons are portrayed is their ability to breathe fire but still live in the ocean--water and fire together. Dragons represent the joining of the opposing forces of the cosmos.”
“I must say, that was VERY informative.” Stella was unconsiously twirling her hair.
“What about the original Dragon?” Judith asked, “The one who was cursed? Surely it can’t be the same one that I’ve kept at my house from the original collection?”
“As I’ve said, Ms. Watson,” Reed smiled, “It is only a myth. Who can say if it is true or not?”
“Excuse us a moment while we girls go the powder room” Judith said rising from her chair.
Stella stood up and smiled “Gentlemen, we will return in a few minutes.”
“And we’ll be here waiting” the curator teased. That was the most he had spoken all night.
When they got to the ladies room Judith took a piece of paper from her purse and quickly wrote a note:
Please contact us as soon as possible. We have some important business to discuss with you personally. Pease DO NOT pass this information on to the curator. This is of utmost importance. Call to set up time and date: 555-943-5555
“Stella, I need you to slip this note to Reed without the curator seeing it. I think it would be more natural coming from you rather than me.
“Sounds Okay to me” Stella said after reading the note. “Let’s go eat, I’m starved” she added
They returned to the table just as the meal was being served and the champagne poured. The rest of the evening was spent talking about various ancient tales and enjoying the food.
“It’s getting late” the Alfred announced “And we have buyers coming in tomorrow to view our wares. I beg your forgiveness ladies”
“Not at all” Judith replied, “We too have some important business to take care of in the morning. Shall we drop you off or do you prefer to take a taxi back?”
“A taxi” Alfred insisted before Reed had a chance to say anything.
“Good Night, gentlemen” The two ladies excused themselves from the table.
“Well” winked Stella, “If you ever want to do this again before you leave, give me a call” She pressed the note into Reeds palm and closed his hand around it as she then kissed him on the cheek. Reed blushed putting the piece of paper into his pocket.
“It seems as if you have one fan already” the curator teased.
Reed blushed again. “Shall we go?”
**************
Stella decided to spend the night at Judith’s place instead of the upstairs apartment. It was much closer from the restaurant and she was too tired to drive.
Shortly arriving at Judith’s place they went to unlock the front door. They found that it was not latched. Judith carefully pushed it open and turned on the light. The apartment was in shambles. Everything had been knocked off their shelves; her sofas were over turned; every drawer was open and emptied. She saw her grandmother’s picture on the floor with the glass broken.
“Oh NO!” She moaned, “Who could have possibly done this?” Judith could not believe this violation of her privacy. With her hands still shaking, she called the police. Next she called Isabel to tell her what had happened.
Judith was advised by the police not to stay in the apartment because there was a chance the intruder might still be there. She was to wait outside until they got there.
About 5 minutes later they arrived. Both ladies were told to “Get back” as the police moved forward into the apartment.
A few minutes later they gave her the all clear. She was told not to touch anything as they dusted for fingerprints. Judith was to determine what had been stolen and fill out a police report. After looking around the apartment, in all her jewelry boxes, dressers and closet she found that nothing had been stolen.
“What was the purpose of all this?” Stella asked the police.
“Looks like they didn’t find what they were looking for. Do you have anything of value that you might have moved in the last day or so?
Judith remembered the dragon. “Oh, my God, Yes, I do!”
The police asked her more questions and although she didn’t divulge what it was, she did let them know it was a valuable piece of artwork that she recently acquired.
By the time the police left, the apartment was in an even bigger mess. The girls decided a night at a beachside motel would be better for their nerves.
*****************
The following day Reed agreed to meet them at the Diner across the street from the gift shop. He smiled when he saw them and grinned sheepishly at the sight of Stella.
They ordered brunch and while they were enjoying their coffee, Reed asked;
“That was a rather strange note I received from you the other night. What is it that is so mysterious and important?”
Judith went on to tell him an incredible story of meditations, visions and a great red fire breathing dragon and the Golden Dragon she brought to her house. She concluded with the break-in at her apartment the night before.
Reed listened intently to the story and when it was over, sat quietly while he thought it over in his mind.
“We need you; Judith continued “to help us get the Golden Dragon back to where it belongs”
“I know” Reed replied, “I have been expecting you. I am very familiar with both the curse and the meditations. I have seen the two of you in my meditations as well.” He told them. “I believe it was pre-ordained that we should meet. In fact, my original mission here was to locate the dragon and return it to the aborigines’ most sacred spot deep within the outback. Our curator friend thinks that I am going to buy your complete collection, however all I really wanted was the dragon”
“Do you think the break in I had last night had anything to do with the dragon? Judith asked.
“I’m sure of it” Reed answered.
“But who else knew about the dragon and why steal it?” Stella said
“To be honest with you,” Reed continued, “I wouldn’t put anything past our curator friend. He just doesn’t seem on the up and up to me. …”
Stella piped it “And don’t forget how he invited himself to dinner. He was probably setting up his alibi or something.”
“Well, all I know”, Judith remarked, “Is the faster we get that dragon back to Australia, the better off we’ll all be.”
“I can find you the best flights there, I, myself am scheduled to leave in two days, perhaps I can book you on the same flight. By the way, is the dragon someplace safe? Reed Asked
“Yes” said Judith, “It’s in a very safe place”
“But this town we are going to visit, its way off the main road. How will we get there?” Stella asked very concerned.
“I can take care of that part” Reed assured her. “I figured we could sign up as part of a tour group and pretend do the tourist thing. When we get to Uluru we can make a quick side trip and rejoin the group again later. I can let our tour guide know that the side trip was prearranged and show him our permits allowing us to be in the sacred areas. Just leave it to me.”
“I looked it up” Stella interjected, “It’s going to take seventeen hours or more to get there”
“That’s right” Reed responded “you go from Miami to Los Angeles and then on to Australia.
“What city do we set down in? Judith asked
Our best bet is Sydney” explained Reed “There are no direct flights from LA to Darwin. The problem will be setting up the side excursion to the outback, while keeping the dragon safe in our luggage. “
Stella laughed “Not me, you can carry it.”
Reed warned “There are some greedy people around who would steal that dragon the moment we take our eyes off it”
“We can tell our tour guide that we are going on a scientific expedition to the interior and we’re carrying our measuring devices; or something to that effect so no one gets too curious” suggested Judith.
“Well, we better get our story straight before we get there. One of us will have to be semi attached to it the whole trip” Reed informed them.
“I’ll do it” Judith stated. “It’s my dragon, my obligation”
“That does not mean however you are to damage your back whilst protecting it.” Reed made a very good point. “I shall be pleased to carry it.”
“Okay, now that that’s settled, what’s do we wear and what’s the weather like?” Stella asked.
“Just picture the United States and turn it upside down” Reed teased. “It helps put things in perspective”
“So what you’re saying is that it’s warmer in North Australia and cooler down South” Stella replied, “We already figured that part out!”
“What I’m saying”, Reed continued, is that the Northern Territory is a huge and diverse region. The north, the ‘Top End’ of Australia, is subtropical, with such high rainfall in the rainy season that much of it is accessible only by air. The south of the Territory is an arid desert, known as the ‘Red Centre. There are many places and objects in the Territory that are of special significance to the Aboriginal people and laws protecting these sacred sites carry heavy penalties for entering, damaging or defacing them.”
“Is that why we need to get permits? Judith asked.
“Yes, it’s necessary to obtain a permit before even entering Aboriginal lands. These permits are not issued lightly, and they are not issued for touristy purposes. Some areas that have historic significance to the Aborigines are open to the public and visitors are welcome at these places, but due respect must be shown for this particular site we are going to and its tremendous historical significance. As I said, I will take care of the Permits since I know my way around down there.”
The approaching noon day sun was beginning to become too hot for Judith. “That reminds me” Judith interjected: “What about protection from the sun?”
“You’ll have to wear long sleeves, pants and a hat.” Reed answered. “It may be a bit hotter however your skin will be better off in the long run. Even I dress that way” he added. “Along with that, you’ll have to bring sturdy walking shoes, about ankle high, sunscreen, a large water bottle, towel & toiletries, a torch, insect repellent, camera & film, a pillow, and a sleeping bag.”
“I guess we better start shopping” Stella said
“I guess so,” Judith replied.
After lunch, they walked to their cars. “We just met this man. Judith stated. “How can we be sure we can really trust him?” Judith followed him with her eyes as he walked back to his car.
“All I can say” responded Stella, “Is that he’s the one in my visions and I feel as if I have known him forever”
“It seems like he feels the same way about you” Judith teased.
“Don’t go counting your grandchildren before they’re hatched” Stella teased back. “Besides didn’t your ancestors speak of him in your vision?

************

Chapter Thirteen – Into the Wild Blue Yonder
“My airplane ticket and my passport are all ready to go.” Stella exclaimed. “I’m so excited that I can hardly stand it.”
“The plane ride to Australia should be enjoyable… even if it is over 4,000 miles of ocean.” Judith added. The trip will take over 16 hours and that’s not including the six hours from Miami to L.A.
“I suppose we better bring some books” Stella teased.
“I suppose I’ll have to. We leave on this SATURDAY at 3:00 PM and get to Sydney at 3PM on SUNDAY afternoon; and then we continue on to Darwin the next morning.”
Judith cocked her head to the left and remarked; “I think I might start a journal on this trip. It should make for some interesting reading when we get back; especially with all the pictures we’ll take.”
“There you go again” Stella joked, “Always making more work for yourself!”
************************
The three of them were going to travel first class. Judith wouldn’t have it any other way.
“If you can’t enjoy it, why have it?” Judith reasoned. She didn’t think anyone was going to disagree with her.
After waiting at the Miami Airport for what seemed like forever (it was only 2 hours) the gate agent began boarding the plane. The disabled were boarded first, then first class, and then the coach passengers concluded the boarding procedure.
Stella made sure she sat next in the window seat next to Reed. Judith would be across the aisle from them in the same row. It was going to be a very long flight. Judith was glad that the seat next to her would be empty.
There would be plenty of time in L.A. to board their flight to Sydney, spend the night there and then continue on to Darwin first thing in the morning. Judith loved to travel. She could feel her heart begin to palpitate at just the thought of flying. “I’m certainly going to do more of it” she promised herself.
As they got situated into their seats, the flight attendant asked if they would like a drink.
“No, thank you” Judith replied.
“I’ll have a scotch and soda on the rocks” Reed volunteered.
“And I’ll have a Virgin Mary” Stella added.
“That sounds good,” Judith replied, “I think I’ll have one of those also”
The head flight attendant greeted them. “Thank you joining us today on World Wide Airways.” Another flight attendant also welcomed them and went to work the coach section of the plane.
After the rest of the passengers boarded, they were ready for take off. Their drinks were ready for a refill however the stewardess took their glasses and asked them to put their seatbelts on and their tray tables up for takeoff.
It was about thirty minutes or so until the airplane got at its designated altitude and the seat belt sign was turned off. The flight attendant closed the curtain which separated first class from the rest of the airplane and began to take their meal orders.
“Would you like the Filet Mignon wrapped in Bacon or the Cornish Game Hen” She asked.
All three went for the filet. Unfortunately it only came one way and that was medium well.
Wine was served before, during and after dinner. It had been a while since Judith had done any drinking so she quickly got buzzed. Reed spent a lot of their time talking about the preparations and what needed to be done once they got there. It wasn’t long before the stewardess was asking if they wanted cheese cake or ice cream for dessert.
“I’ll have the cheesecake” Judith replied.
“And us as well” Reed answered, ordering for Stella. Stella just smiled.
When lunch was completed Stella settled down for a nap on Reeds arm. Judith opened her book and began to read. She saw that Reed had brought a book as well.
The movie being featured was “The Lake House” with Sandra Bullock. Judith had already seen it but watched it now and again when it got to the good parts. Reed just kept on reading his book
Judith had come to find out that Reed had a tremendous amount of knowledge in the spirit ways of many Aboriginal, Native American, South American, and African tribes. In fact, he was considered a “Shaman” among many of the tribes.
Once or twice during the flight, Judith had looked up from her book and noticed Stella getting a little bit cozy and once even caught them in a kiss. She looked back down at her book thinking; “You go girl; he’s a real hottie!”
***********************

“Please put your seat back and tray tables in the up right position while the captain puts on the seat belt sign”, blared the announcement from the overhead speakers.
“We will be landing in Los Angeles California within the hour. We asked that you please stay seated until the plane comes to a complete stop and the captain has turned off the seat belt sign. We want to thank you all for flying World Wide Airways today, and hope you’ll fly again with us next time.”
Judith had that speech memorized having heard it so often in her travels. While they were approaching the gate, the flight attendant closed the curtain between first class and coach to allow first class passengers off first. Once they disembarked, the rest of the passengers were allowed off.
They spent 4 hours at the Los Angeles airport. They spent some time freshening up, walking around and going in various shops. They even grabbed a quick cup of coffee. They finally boarded their flight from Las Angeles to Sydney Australia.
Once again Stella was seated next to Reed with Judith across the aisle. Stella and Reed were discussing their meditation similarities and the natural closeness they felt with one another when they first met.
Judith asked Reed about what they would do in Sydney before continuing on to Darwin, he handed her a piece of paper with these three options circled and one option highlighted.
Reed explained; “I figured you’d want to see the Dragon wall at the Chinese Garden. Then we can decide what we want to do next. I just thought these were the closest to where we would be and the easiest to get to.”
“That sounds great” Judith responded. “If we aren’t exhausted by the time we get there”
“We’ll just have to play it by ear and see how we feel.” Reed replied.
“Judith, hand me one of your books” Stella asked.
Sure, here’s one you’ll like” she said as she handed Reed a book to hand to Stella. It was going to be a long flight so they all got comfortable.
The first class seats aboard the World Wide flight to Australia were built-in recliners; quite enjoyable, in fact. After drinking a nice cup of hot Raspberry tea, Stella and Reed got blankets and pillows so they could settled down for a long rest.
Judith was well into her book and preferred to keep reading. Hopefully the movie on this flight would be one she hadn’t seen before. It was something different to do instead of reading.
“I sure could use a treadmill right about now” she thought
The rest of the flight went uneventful; That was until some of the lavatories backed up and had to be quadrant off for the rest of the flight.
Judith eventually found herself a pillow and blanket and spent a few hours of the flight sound asleep.
******************

The “Good Morning” announcement awoke all those passengers who had still been sleeping. One of the flight attendants passed out rolled hot face cloths with tongs.
“Oh, this feels soooo good” Judith thought pressing the cloth to her face.
“Did you have a nice nap?” Reed asked.
“Yes, I did” she answered.
“I’ve arranged for a van to meet us when we arrive at the Darwin airport. We can go to the hotel, freshen up a bit and then meet up with the tour group that we’ll be joining the following morning. “
“That sounds good” Judith groggily replied. “But right now, all I care about is coffee”
Reed laughed. “I’ve already had two cups” he teased.
Stella winked at Judith and smiled.
“Breakfast should be served soon,” he added. “Then we should be landing in about another hour. “
Once the plane landed and they had got their luggage and boarded a limo which brought them to their hotel.
Reed took care of the checking in and handed each lady a key to their room. “I didn’t think you ladies wanted to share, but if you want to talk then there is an adjoining door”
“How thoughtful” Judith commented.
“Would you ladies like to go out on the town, this evening?” Reed asked. “Oxford Street, Kings Cross and the area around Darling Hurst is the part of Sydney that never sleeps. We can find dozens of bars, cafes, restaurants, pubs and nightclubs, and some of them are open 24 hours.
Their drinking laws; quite lax, I must say” Stella chirped “We’d love to”
“I may have to pass this one up” Judith said excusing herself. “I have some writing I’d like to do, and besides, I am really exhausted.” She also wanted to allow the two of them some private time as well as herself.
“I thought I read somewhere that there is a part of Sydney that is like New Orleans” Stella asked.
“Well, not exactly” Reed replied. “The area around Taylor Square is the epicenter of Gay Sydney. There, once a year, the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras passes by, a gaudy, giddy, gyrating parade that has become the focus for the lively arts and lifestyle culture created by the active and out-there gay community of the city. “
“HOWEVER I actually wouldn’t mind hearing some Jazz.” Judith commented.
“If it's jazz you fancy, we can try the Soup Plus on George Street. You can get some bistro food while you listen to the music. In fact, why don’t we hit the Jazz places first” Reed proposed.
“That sounds like an excellent plan” Judith agreed.
Everyone enjoyed the tour of George Street. The sound of jazz permeated the air and several people were actually ‘dancing in the street.’ They went into several of the night clubs.
“It seems like we have acquired our very own professional tour guide, in Reed. He is absolutely encyclopedic in his knowledge of Australia;” Stella gushed.

“Tomorrow we continue on to Darwin,” Reed added. “Australia's proximity to Asia is never more apparent than when you are in Darwin.” “The northern most capital, named after Charles Darwin, is an exotic blend of frontier town, Asian village, and modern life. Darwin has had a turbulent history. This city has battled just about everything that man and nature could throw at it. Most of its buildings date from the mid-1970s; Cyclone Tracy wiped out the city on Christmas Eve 1974.”

“I’ve had enough history for one night.” Stella said stretching
“I agree.” Judith said, “No offence to our excellent private tour guide.”

Reed smiled “None taken. I think we should all go get some sleep. It’s going to be a very long trip tomorrow”

*******************

Chapter Fourteen – Moving On

Early the next day the trio took the train from Sydney to Darwin. Judith enjoyed the scenery so much she used up two rolls of film in her camera. .

“I should have brought my digital camera instead.” She fussed

“I hope you don’t mind but I’ve asked my brother to join us in Darwin. I think he would be an asset on our trek into the interior.

“Is he anything like you?” Judith asked.

“Almost a carbon copy” Reed replied, “Only older; then on to ‘Alice Springs’ where we’ll join the tour group.
“Then I certainly have no objection. Judith replied
“Listen to this.” Stella read out loud. “This part of the country has two seasons;” she began. “The wet season is from November to the beginning of April. It receives 95% of its rain during that time of year. The dry season is from April to the beginning of November; there is almost no rain and humidity.”
“It sounds like the people as well as animals strongly prefer the dry season,” added Judith
Judith smiled as Reed agreed with her.
When they arrived in Darwin, Reed’s brother ran through the station to greet him.
“You old buzzard” Reed joked “I’m impressed you dressed up for the occasion.”
“Well, I couldn’t show up in my P.J.’s now could I ladies?” He extended his hand out to them.
Hi, I’m Leo”
Judith, and then Stella both shook his hand.
His accent was much stronger than Reeds. Judith liked listening to him talk and he did look very similar to Reed. His hair was much lighter than his brother’s however they both sported the same chestnut eyes and distinctive nose. Where Reed was the intellectual, Leo was the comedian. He had everyone laughing in just a few minutes.
“Leo’s going to show us around Darwin today.” Reed announced.
“Only if this pretty little redhead will sit next to me in the Jeep”
Now it was Judith’s turn to blush.
Leo drove his guests to his house several miles from town.
After they got comfortable, Leo prepared then ham and cheese sandwiches. Judith asked if he had some coffee.
“An’ I’ll have a beer” Leo said.
“People who live in this part of the Northern Territory are the biggest beer drinkers in the world.”
Reed revealed.
“Yeah, we drink twice as much beer as they do in other parts of Australia.” Leo bragged.
Reed continued as they sat down to eat their sandwiches. “Once a year they have a beer can regatta where they race rafts made of beer cans. At the start of the festivities, there are about 30 entries. By the time the race actually begins, many repairs have been made to the rafts and only about 8 rafts actually race. That’s because the crews on several of the rafts have personally emptied the cans needed for the repairs so they end up too wasted to actually participate. “
“And I’ve been one of those wasted participants many a time, I have.” Leo joked brushing his hair away from his eyes.
Leo then went to the kitchen and brought out 4 large mugs of ice cold beer and a box of cookies.
“Here ya go ladies and don’t go saying no either”
Stella looked at Judith who just shrugged her shoulders and reached for the beer. So too, did the rest of them.
They spent the rest of the day playing cards, drinking, and telling tales about each other when they were growing up.
This time it was Stella who laughed so much that she now had the hiccups. Judith motioned to Leo that she needed to talk to him in private.
“I need more refreshments, Judith, why don’t you join me in the kitchen? Leo suggested.
“Do you have anything I can make a loud noise with?” she asked. “I want to scare Stella out of her hiccups like she’s scared me in the past.”
“I happen to have some large symbols that’ll do the trick; come with me.” The back door next to the refrigerator led them to a storage shed. After rustling around for a few minutes, Leo stood up.
“Here they are” he said. “But you’re going to have to pay me for them”
“With what?’ Judith asked.
“With a kiss” he answered.
“That’s a bit forward of you, don’t you think?”
“Yes it is, but if you want to succeed in anything you’ve got to take every opportunity you can”
Leo smiled as he walked closer with the brass symbols behind his back. Judy stood there, slightly apprehensive as he moved in on her lips.”
“Now that wasn’t too bad, was it?”
Judith smiled and then took the symbols out of his hands.
As she silently walked up behind Stella, Reed was curious as to what she was up to. Then he sees her bring the symbols from behind her back and clash them together.
Stella jumped straight off her chair as she screamed. “Oh my God, are you trying to kill me” she asked.
“No,” answered Judith, “but now we’re even and you don’t have the hiccups anymore.”
The two men let out hearty laughs at Judith’s prank.
“Now don’t you go sneaking up on me” Leo warned her. “I’ll take it to the next level”
“He’s not lying” Reed added still laughing.
“Well, I’ve certainly had enough excitement for one day,” said Stella with her eyes squinting at Judith.
Sitting quietly in her chair looking so innocent, Judith spoke. “I told you, what goes around, come around.”
“I say there’s a beautiful sunset out there” Reed interjected. “And we should go outside and view it.”
“Good idea, bro” Leo said.
*******************
At nine o’clock the four of them joined the tour group. The tour director was addressing the group through his megaphone and waved at them.
“We go back a long way, the three of us” Leo said putting his arm over Reeds shoulder”
“And why was I the only one who got in trouble?” asked Reed.
They soon boarded the tour bus. Stella sat next to Reed which left Judith sitting next to Leo.
“Destiny keeps throwing us together, you and I” Leo said looking at Judith with a serious face.
“And if you keep that up, I’m the one who’s going to be throwing up”
After driving out of town for about two hours, the bus stopped. The tour director jumped out of the bus. Seeing a large lizard run across the road; the tour director stopped to get it and brought it onto the bus. He proudly held it up for his guests to see. It was a frilled lizard, about a foot and a half from head to the end of is tail. He explained that it’s relatively easy to catch them because they hide behind a rock or mound of dirt and don't realize that it can be seen and crept up on from behind. He then let the lizard free and got back into the driver’s seat.
They arrived at the park close to dark. They ate at the hotel restaurant because there was nothing else in the area. The highlight of dinner was finally eating kangaroo meat that wasn't overly spiced.
Stella and Reed decided to go for a swim in the hotel’s pool as Judith and Leo sat on the patio watching them and talking. Reed had filled his brother in on what they were doing so Leo was up to date on everything. Judith had put the dragon in the Hotel’s safe.
Judith no longer felt like a third wheel. Ever since Stella and Reed first met they didn’t take their eyes off each other. Surprisingly, Stella was taking it very slow this time.
“She sure has changed.” Judith said to Leo
“And is that a good thing?” he asked.
“It’s a wonderful thing, I haven’t see her this happy since before her parents died.
Leo began rubbing Judith’s shoulders as she talked about Stella and herself. Leo listened attentively without making any comments. After a while Judith groaned with pleasure and said,
“You can keep doing that all night if you want”
“I might be taking you up on that” Leo joked.
**********

Their first activity for the new day was a cruise on the Yellow River. Most members of the tour, including Judith and Stella, hoped to see a crocodile.
“The cruise's purpose is to see birds,” the tour director said with a smile, “however, there is a good chance we will see a crocodile while we are out here. For your information, Crocodiles mate in December; then in January they migrate inland along the river system and lay their eggs. They don't return to the Yellow River until their eggs hatch.”
A few minutes later the guide points out one crocodile, so well camouflaged in a wooded area that he is hard to see.”
“Our next stop is the Aboriginal rock paintings” The tour guide continued. ” Aborigines own two thirds of the area with three hundred twenty residing on the park land. Australia's largest uranium deposits and mining are on this Aboriginal land, close to the park. They receive royalties and reinvest in business. They are the only people allowed to hunt and gather on park land. “
“There are more than 5,000 paintings at the site we are going to visit. Some are thought to be 20,000 years old. It is part of the Aboriginal ritual to repaint faded paintings. Many paintings portray dreamtime, the Aboriginal belief of how the world began. In the dreamtime origin of the world, spirits came before humans existed they traveled through the land leaving signs such as rivers and mountains, creating our world. “ He continued.
“Some of the paintings we'll see are the x-ray style. This style was used 2,000 years ago. People and animals are painted showing their skeletons and organs. Paint is made from Ocre, a rock that can be ground to produce colored powder. This is found in Central Australia. Northern Territory Aborigines trade spear tips which they make from rock found in their area. In return they receive Ocre from Aborigines in Central Australia. “
‘The paintings done in 1969 are very interesting. One painting was about the god of lightning who came to punish a brother and sister for their incest. There is a baramundi fish in it and some other people. Nursing women are portrayed with pronounced markings on their breasts.”
The guide showed them that a line of silicone was applied part way down the rock above the painting to protect the painting from being washed away.
“This directs rain down that path instead of over the paintings.” He added.
After a brief rest at the paintings, the group is led up a rough path to a lookout. The tour guide explains that from the lookout, one sees the beginning of a plateau which is the Aboriginal ancestral homeland.”
They rode back to Darwin making an ordinary lunch stop.
“The Aboriginal stop was very interesting” Stella remarked.
“There’s a whole lot more to them that meets the eye” Leo added
As Reed predicted, they reached their destination in late afternoon.
“We have an early flight to the Kakadu National Park tomorrow so we need to make this a short visit to your rooms and then we will head out to dinner.”
The tour guide points out several restaurants and tell the group what time to meet him in the morning.
The group of four decided on the Malaysian Thai restaurant across the street and enjoy their dinner, well into the night. “
*******

Chapter Fifteen - Kakadu National Park

As soon as the bus entered the Kakadu National Park, the tour director began his narration.

“The remarkable 44,000-year-old etchings that daub the rocks of Kakadu National Park, is also a World Heritage site, are thought to be 10,000 years older than those found in Europe. In this rugged, wildlife-rich landscape infused with Aboriginal myths, it's easy to feel the urge to renounce modern-day life in favor of the spiritual wilds of Australia's Northern Territory.”

“Kakadu—the name is derived from an Aboriginal language called Gagudju—lies about 95 miles east of Darwin and sprawls across 7,645 square miles. Because of its unusual climate and remoteness, Kakadu's ecosystem brims with life, including some 1,600 species of plant and 4,500 kinds of insect. The park's four rivers keep billabongs carpeted with water lilies which are an important habitat for Australia's most impressive array of bird species. Covering the entire catchment of the South Alligator River, Kakadu supports over a hundred species of reptiles—including "freshies" and their more aggressive counterparts, "salties". Both are Australian terms for crocodiles. “

“The park's world-renowned archaeological treasures lie near East Alligator River. Although there are about 5,000 different Aboriginal rock-art sites, Ubirr and Nourlangie Rock are the premier tourist-accessible galleries; others are considered too spiritual to be viewed by outsiders. The Bowali Visitor's Center, near Ubirr, is a good place to get your bearings. Ubirr's rocky plateau breaks off into a startlingly green billabong, and the walk toward Nourlangie Rock, at the end of a 7.5-mile sealed road off Kakadu Highway, we will see an impressive frieze of paintings in Anbangbang shelter. “


After an hour of looking around, they reboarded the bus continuing on their journey. The incredible rock art was matched by equally breathtaking scenery. The park was latticed with wetlands, billabongs, woodlands, rock plateaus, and escarpments—a landscape perfect for bushwalking.

“These views are incredible” Judith commented.

“That, they are” Leo replied.

The guide was enthusiastic and knew the ins and outs of the park—It was obvious that he’d dedicated a great deal of time to learning about the 1,600-plus species of plants. He was able to point out a brown snake or scorpion well before anyone else noticed. Foremost, he was up-to-date on road closures, waterfall levels, and other constantly changing features of the park.

The guide spoke out, once again. “Our next stop is Tennant Creek for our overnight camp at the Juno Horse Farm.”

“That should be interesting” Stella smirked.

“It’s always interesting with you around.” Reed teased.
Kata Tjuta & Uluru
The group’s next stop was Kata Tjuta and then Uluru. That was where they were going to split off from the tour. Leo had suggested that he be the one to carry the Dragon while they hiked. Reed had carried it most of the way up till now.

Judith trusted Leo, much like she trusted Reed. This would soon prove to be an important issue.

The tour guide began his speech once more.

“The National Park has an area over 311,000 acres and comprises two main significant sites: Uluru, sometimes called Ayers Rock, is one of the largest monoliths in the world. Made of arkosic sandstone, Uluru rises 348 meters above the desert floor and has a circumference of 9.4 kilometers.”
The sunset and sunrise over Uluru and Kata Tjuta were spectacular. The colors of the sky were becoming more vibrant by the minute and ever changing.
“Leo added, “Uluru and Kata Tjuta have significant meaning to Aboriginal people because they both form an important focus of their spiritual life. “
“It is said that the Central Australian landscape, of which Uluru and Kata Tjuta are an important part, is believed to have been created at the beginning of time.
Reed also joined in. “The Anangu Aboriginal people are responsible for the protection and appropriate management of these ancestral lands. The knowledge necessary to fulfill these responsibilities has been passed down from generation to generation.”
“It was shaped by the spiritual ancestors of Aboriginal people during the Creation Time. These ancestors or 'first people' journeyed across the country creating landforms, plants, animals and Bininj/Mungguy* (Aboriginal people). They brought with them laws to live by: ceremony, language, kinship and ecological knowledge. They taught Bininj/ Mungguy how to live with the land and look after the country. “
They stopped at another Lookout and saw a plaque on which was inscribed:
'If you respect the land, then you will feel the land. Your experience will be one that you cannot get anywhere else in the world.' “Brian Baruwei - Wurrkbarbar clan. Aboriginal traditional owner.”
The Guide explained, “In the early 1900s the Government declared ownership of the land and by the 1950s tourists and miners had begun to make tracks to Uluru and Kata Tjuta. At the time only a few Anangu were living at Uluru. However, as tourist numbers grew, most of the Anangu there scattered into other regions within Central Australia.
By the early 1970s, the pressure of tourism was having detrimental effects on the environment and the government agreed in 1973 to relocate accommodation facilities to a new site. It was not until 1979 that, in recognition of the existence of traditional Aboriginal owners of Uluru and Kata Tjuta, a national park were acknowledged.
In 1983 Prime Minister Hawke announced the government's intention to grant ownership of the land back to the traditional owners. The agreement, however, required the traditional owners to lease the park to the Australian National Parks and Wildlife Service for a period of 99 years. “
‘I am amazed at how incredibly spiritual these people are.” Judith said to Leo.
“That, they are” Leo responded. “I’ve seen many an interesting thing happen when they are in ceremony. Aboriginal ceremonies are dramatic representations of the mythical history of the tribe performed in mime and song. These ceremonies have many functions and take many forms.

He continued “The non-secret rituals are performed in the camp at night, always before an enthusiastic audience of men, women and children. Then a group of adult men, seated around a small fire, chant several of their ancient songs. Others have their bodies decorated with strange symbols, to portray, in a series of spectacular dances, the incidents in the myth.”

Reed picked up where Leo left off. “The ceremonies of the youths, at which no fully adult male or any women are present, are the most important events to the participants. In these, the young actors, their bodies decorated with the creature they represent, mime the episodes of their creation during mythical times. These rituals, many of them of considerable beauty, are the youth's first step toward their integration into the life and responsibilities of the men.”
Leo took back the stage. ““Nothing is neglected in these ceremonies to teach the youths the rules and philosophy of the tribe and the obligations that accompany them; trials of fortitude and the air of secrecy that surrounds every phase of the rituals are designed so to impress the youths that neither the rituals, nor their associated meanings, will ever be forgotten. They will guide his behavior as long as he lives. “


Chapter Sixteen – Sacred Sites
The tour guide resumed his narration once more. “The cultural landscapes of Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park resonate with meaning. They contain creation stories and the associated knowledge of law, relationships, plants, and animals, all of which live in the shapes and features of the land.
Places where significant events in the Anangu story occurred are held as sacred sites. Anangu have the responsibility and obligation to care for the land in a proper way. As such, tourists are not permitted access to certain significant or sacred sites. Even inadvertent access to these can be sacrilegious. At Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park some areas are fenced off and sometimes photography is restricted to ensure that visitors do not inadvertently contravene Tjukurpa restrictions.”
“Nothing will quite prepare you for your first sight of Uluru.” The Leo told them. “From a distance, across the rich red plains of The Centre, the power of its ancient spirit will overwhelm you. Once you stand at its base & explore its mysteries, you will understand why it is not only a treasured icon to Aboriginal people, but also one of the great wonders of the world. “
The tour guide spoke again. “There is some scientific disagreement about the origins of Uluru. The most widely held theory is that both Uluru and Kata Tjuta are remnants of a vast sedimentary bed which was laid down some 600 million years ago. The bed was spectacularly tilted so that Uluru now protrudes at an angle of up to 85°. The rock is actually grey but is covered with a distinctive red iron oxide coating.”
“No one is sure when the first Aborigines moved into the area but the best evidence suggests that it was at least 10 000 years ago. The notes on the history of Uluru National Park explain the Aboriginal understanding of Uluru in the following terms: 'In the beginning the world was unformed and featureless. Ancestral beings emerged from this void and journeyed widely, creating all the living species and the characteristic features of the desert landscape you see today. Uluru and Kata Tjuta provide physical evidence of feats performed during the creation period. Anangu are the direct descendants of these beings and are responsible for the protection and appropriate management of these ancestral lands. The knowledge necessary to fulfill these responsibilities has been passed down from generation to generation from the Tjukurpa.”

Climbing The Rock
When they arrived at the huge rock, the tour guide announced. “If you decide to walk to the top make sure you are extreamly fit and your level of respect for the Aboriginal notion is that this is a sacred site.It is worth noting a number of people have died from heart attacks as a result of climbing the rock. Also, a lot of people die some days later and consequently are never part of the statistics for heart attacks on the rock. The current estimate is that, on average, one person per month dies either directly (quite a number wander too far and fall off the edges) or indirectly as a result of climbing the rock.
“I think I will stay on the ground.” Judith decided.
“That’s not a bad idea” Leo once more agreed. “Why don’t we walk over to those trees and sit at the picnic table under it?”
When they sat down Leo took out something wraped in paper from his backpack.
“Are you going to share with us” Judith asked.
“Of course I will dear lady, of course.”
He was so charming and unasuming Judith was beginning to see the attraction in him. He was also a very big flirt.
As Leo passed out some Cheese, wine and crackers he spoke. “The poet Rex Ingamells captured the mystery the rock holds to all who see it when he wrote 'It remains for individual discovery so long as the human mind retains its capacity for wonder.'
Reed then added “Aboriginal traditional owners would prefer visitors to not climb Uluru.
“Yes” said Leo. “There are two reasons for this: Firstly, the path of the climb is associated with important Mala ceremonies. Aboriginal people believe that during the time when the world was being formed, the Uluru climb was the traditional route taken by Mala men when they arrived at Uluru. Because of this spiritual significance, they prefer that - out of education and understanding - you choose to respect their law and culture by not climbing.
“Secondly, Reed continued, “The Anangu tribe has a duty to safeguard visitors to their land. They feel great sadness if visitors to their land are killed or injured. That is why traditional owners would prefer that as the welcome guests to their land, these visitors will respect Anangu Law and culture by not climbing. “
“Man, if I had to learn this at school by reading I would pull my hair out. Stella interjected. “I do however; really enjoy this tour and especially at how much Judith and I have learned from both of you guys”
“I’m glad you think so” Reed looked at Stella with admiration. Leo on the other hand was speaking to the tour guide informing him that this was where they would split out from the group.

Chapter Seventeen – Private Excursion
We were going over to a local restaurant for something to eat. Although steak was on the top of Judith’s mind, for some reason she was feeling very concerned about the dragon. Since this hotel also had a vault room, Judith decided to put it there for the evening.
The restaurant looked more like a barbeque pit rather than a full blown restaurant. The atmosphere was quit casual.
Reed had gone over to a black haired, dark man about 5 ft tall. It was hard to determine where he was from. When Reed came back he told us that our secondary excursion, the one to the village, had been arranged. He told the two girls to be very quiet while they were in the village because it is their custom for the women to be subservient to the men.
“Oh, re-eally, Judith spoke out. “That really doesn’t go over too well with me”
Reed was taken aback. “Nor me” agreed Stella
They spent the rest of the conversation teasing Reed about it.
“I can’t help it, that’s the way it is down here”
“Oh my master, I would be most grateful if you would allow me to serve you some potatoes.” Stella joked.
Reed played along with her. “I allow it women, but you be quick about it, I’m hungry!”
The four of them would be getting up just before dawn tomorrow morning. We were not to carry anything else with us other than water to drink, and a few biodegradable snacks to eat.
“We have to bring the Dragon” Judith stated when she heard that.
“Also, Reed had added “There are to be absolutely no cameras. This trip will only take half a day to get there, however if the tribe feels comfortable with us, we could be invited to spend the night.”
Leo added “This would be considered an honor if it happened because very few people have been allowed into this area, let alone stay the night. Reed and I have done so several times.”
When they headed towards their rooms, they stopped at Reed and Leo’s room first. Leo and Judith were still talking about what to expect and so forth. When Reed opened the door, both he and his brother gasped. The room was in shambles. Lamps were on the floor; their suitcases had been gone through and every drawer had been opened and ransacked.
“Stay here, ladies”, Leo barked running past them. “I’m getting the manager”
When the manager got there he was full of apologies for what had happened and insinuated that perhaps the gentlemen had forgotten to lock their door.
Since Judith and Stella’s room was next door, they checked their door as well. It was open. “This can’t be” Stella remarked. She pushed the door open to see a repeat of the scene that had been in Reeds room.
Judith turned to the manager “Is it was possible that we BOTH left our doors unlocked?”
He did not look happy. The local authorities were called but there was really nothing they could do. Their technology way out here was limited so not even fingerprints were lifted.
The men insisted on a different room for each of them.
Judith decided she needed a drink to settle her nerves so she and Leo went over to the Lounge.
Stella and Reed went to their new room for a quick look-around. .
Meanwhile at the bar Judith held her glass up. “Chavez Regal! Not bad” she remarked.
“Only the best for my girl” Leo answered back.
“Your girl.” Judith cocked an eyebrow and continued speaking. . “Excuse me sir, but we are NOT in the village now and thou shall cease and desist referring to me as “your girl”
Leo laughed and Judith knew that he had set her up.
**********************
It was still dark when Reed knocked on their door to get them up. Since they had laid their clothes out the night before they were ready in no time. A quick stop to the vault room to pick up the golden passenger and they were on their way.
“I’m sure this was what they were after” Judith confessed.
“I don’t doubt that one bit” Leo cocked his head as he helped her with the Golden Dragon and met Stella and Reed for their expedition.
It wasn’t long before the sun got quite hot. The good news was that since they were on a path that led them between the huge rocks, they had Mother Nature there to shield them. The hike was not long, but it was very difficult. Steep and rocky terrain was not the only thing to look out for. Snakes, scorpions and various other types of “not so friendly” critters were seemingly everywhere.
Reed and Leo, who were fully armed, approached within about thirty yards of the camp and awaited the coming of an elder. He likewise would be armed. The men assume attitudes of defiance, and parley over the curse of the dragon until the chief is in possession of all the circumstances.
They then drop their weapons and rush into each other's arms, weep together in a loud voice, and finally the younger thrusts his hand under the thigh of the elder, whilst the relatives gather round and offer their legs to each of them to spear. They take the spear and after a mock attack and pretended to pricks their legs with the point.
Reed spoke to them in their language and then motioned us to follow them.
The women were surprised to see that the natives, in their wild state, have no covering for their bodies and are perfectly nude while possessing no shame. As ornament they fasten rats' tails, or twist and spin up their relatives' hair, with which they dress their own, binding it together at the back of the head to prevent it from falling over their eyes, as they wear their hair long and greasy, rubbing Emu fat on it. This hair dress is not at all picturesque the girls agreed.
Because of the continual grease and dirt the hair forms into knots and each often matted into five pounds weight, as they have no substitute for a comb. The men of the tribe also dressed their beards in a similar manner. They had spun their hair into belts, in which they hung small game, coyleys, etc., when they are hunting. They are particularly fond of greasing their bodies and rubbing on decayed ironstone called ochre. They also rub on white chalk, and charcoal. They use these in painting their shields and as coloring for all purposes.
When they all approached the village, they were lead directly to the Shaman. Leo spoke first being the eldest. Reed spoke to him as well. The tribal chief paid close attention to the conversation. They asked to see the dragon.
Very carefully the men took the cursed dragon out of the small crate that secured it. The dragon was the great protector of this particular tribe. The Shaman signaled Judith to be brought forward.
Leo explained that her red hair was quite desirable in some Aborigines camps. This explained why everyone was oooing and ahhhing even before they had seen the dragon. When the box was finally opened there was even more excitement in the crowd of villagers. Everybody knelt down and honored the dragon.
There was to be a celebration following the placement of the dragon in its original location which continued well into the night.
“Whenever the natives congregate for a purpose they always have amusements of all kinds and a grand ball called a "Corroborie," which everyone attends.” Reed whispered
After they left the Shamans home, they saw the men getting dressed in preparation of the celebration.
They watched as the body is greased, and then stripes of white down feathers, red ochre, white pipe clay and charcoal are affixed to and painted on the body perpendicularly, but on the thighs the stripes are horizontal. The hair is dressed with white feathers and wood shavings. In each hand is carried a stick about two feet long with shavings along them at regular intervals. They wear a bunch of Emu feathers on each arm and a larger bunch fastened as an appendage to the back of the belt. The master of ceremonies is also in full dress, but has his head-dress of shaved sticks, laced and interlaced with spun hair, to which are adhered down feathers.
The songster has two flat smoothly-hewn thin half-circles of wood called "Coyleys." These are held one in each hand and beaten together like the rattling of bones in a Christy minstrel performance, excellent time being kept. When the song starts the men are about twenty feet away. The M.C. rushes out to the front followed by the whole company in single file, who then dance into a square. At times they are four deep and at others eight and they are clever in forming squares and changing into lines so readily.
They have no partners. Each raises his foot at the same moment about two feet high and brings it down with great force. The soil is was soft, and the thud caused by so many feet striking the earth at the same time could be heard some distance away. The tribal women joined in the dance on the outer edge, but they did not lift their feet as the men did. Keeping time by gliding from right to left, the native women swing their arms to the rhythm of the music. The women do not dress for the occasion. At the close of the dance the men shake their bodies as though shivering with extreme cold and whoever can thus rid himself of the most feathers is considered the best dancer.
The honored guests are led to a TARLOW, which is a stone or a pile of stones set apart as a hallowed spot. This spot is dedicated to the ceremony of willing that certain things such as children, birds, animals, insects, frogs, reptiles, fishes, and grass seeds, etc., be made to multiply and increase. Each living thing has a separate Tarlow. These all belong to the head of each family, as master of the craft, descending from father to son. To make it clear, however, say that a family of the Banaka tribe had the Tarlow of the eagle hawk, and wished them to multiply. They must journey to that shrine; for it cannot be done elsewhere. The head of the family may be accompanied by any number of Banaka, men he pleases to take part in the ceremony, but the spell would be broken if any members of the other three tribes came to the spot. When the elder Banaka dies, this Tarlow would then descend to his sons.
The Golden Dragon was place in its hallowed spot and because the Aborigines did not believe in idol worshiping, it would later be melted down to release the dragon spirit and gold pieces would be shaped into coins to be used as their official currency. Based on their currency exchange these gold pieces would generate was enough money to take care of their tribe and their conservation efforts for the next hundred years.
The celebration continued way into the night and when it was time to return to their hotel none of them were really in the mood to hike. Since they were only invited to stay for the celebration, it was soon time to leave. The chief then came to them and asked them to stay for the evening and leave instead at the break of day.
Once awake and with much ado, the threesome gathered their things; the load being quite a bit lighter this time and began saying their good-byes. Judith was approached by the Shaman and as he wished her a safe journey home he placed an amulet in her hand.
“You remember us” he said “You family now” He then repeated the performance with Stella.
Once they were on the path to return to the hotel, Leo told the women what an honor it was to be considered ‘family’ by the aborigines. “They mostly just tolerate the whites” Reed told them, “Because the whites have taken away their land, destroyed their sacred sites and over run the continent. It is only recently, in the past 50 years or so, that these lands have been returned to them and they again care for the land.”
Reed added “They are part of the land, they are part of everything, and everything is a part of them. They are tied to the land by their ancestors and by their spirit.”
Both men continued telling them more about the Aborigines and their ways. There were some very spiritual aspects and some very brutal aspects, especially in the way they treated their woman.
“They didn’t treat us badly at all” Judith replied. Leo and Reed both smiled.
“They looked upon you two as Shamen who were sent to return the cursed dragon to its homeland.” Leo said. Both girls looked at each other intrigued.
When they approached the hotel, much to their amusement, there were police cars out in front. They wondered, of course, what the difficulty was. When they got to the entrance they saw the police leading their old friend the curator and two of his buddies into the police car. It seemed he had been following them throughout Australia in an effort to steal the dragon. He made one last attempt to find the dragon this morning, not realizing it had been brought on the hike. When the manager caught him breaking into one of the rooms, charges were filed and he was blamed for anything that was ever stolen from the hotel.

Chapter Eighteen – Surprise Party
They had succeeded in their mission to return the dragon to its rightful owner. As they prepared to leave for Sydney, Stella came into Judith’s room and sat down on the bed.
“I have something to tell you,” she began
“Sure, honey,” Judith replied sitting next to her, “What is it?”
“I won’t be returning to the states with you”
Judith’s eyes widened in amazement. “You, what? What are you talking about?” Why not?” she stammered.
“Reed asked me to marry him and I said yes.” Stella beamed with excitement. “I figured you could arrange for all my things to be shipped here so there is really no need for me to go back with you. We will, of course, come to visit you and you would be welcomed here at any time.”
Judith leaned in and gave Stella a big hug. “I was so happy when he asked me I could have burst.” Stella muttered through her joyful tears.
“Thank goodness I still had Isabel to keep me company at the shop” Judith teased.
“Oh, before I forget” Stella added, “Will you be my maid of honor?”
“Of course I will. When’s the wedding?”
“A week from today” Stella answered.
“A week from today”? she gasped, “What, are you pregnant?”
Stella laughed, “No, I’m not pregnant. Reed and I just figured why wait. If we got married soon then you and Leo could both participate in the ceremony.
“But what about all the arrangements?” Judith asked.
“Reed’s mother is taking care of everything. I hear she is really great at putting on big parties so this will be right up her alley.”
“When did you talk to her?” Judith felt as if she was conducting an interrogation.
“Reed introduced me to her on his cell phone.” Stella replied, “It’s not the best way to meet your future mother in law, but hey, it worked.”
They continued like two school girls talking and laughing when Reed walked into open doorway.
“I guess she told you the news” he said grinning from ear to ear.
“Yes, she did” Judith answered, “and I couldn’t be happier.”
“Well, let’s get moving people! “He teased. “We have a wedding to prepare for.” Stella ran into his arms.
********
The wedding was to be held at the Park Hyatt, Sydney. Rooms had already been reserved for them and the bill already taken care of. Stella felt faint when she discovered that the rooms were a mere $1,000 a night.
Two ball rooms had also been reserved. When they went to take a look at it they found it to be magnificent. One was set up like a beautiful chapel. There were rows of chairs facing a gazebo, surrounded by white roses. Reed’s family priest was to do the honors. The second one was set up for the reception. There were beautiful Styrofoam doves everywhere with silver painted on their wings. .
“Is it to your liking?” a voice asked.
Stella turned around and saw an elderly lady whose hand was extended. “Hi, I’m Rebecca, Reed and Leo’s mother”
“It’s utterly fantastic,” Stella hugged the woman “I can’t believe it’s so beautiful. Thank you so much Mrs. Anderson.” She gushed.
“I think you can call me Becky; or Mom if you like” she laughed hugging Stella back. “Welcome to our family”
That evening they all had dinner with the rest of the Anderson Family. There were so many of them. Stella, who had had no family all these years, got herself a very big one. Judith could see a similarity in some of them and was told of their aboriginal mixed with English roots. It proved to be a very interesting combination and made for some very beautiful people.
The wedding list apparently was the “who’s, who” of Australia. It seemed the Anderson’s were very high on the list of elite society. This worried Stella some, but judging from the fun they had at the pre-wedding dinner, she felt comfortable enough not to worry.
Leo and Judith were engulfed in conversation. Judith remarked “The dinner has gone absolutely fabulous”
The crowd was beginning to thin out around 10 p.m. and Judith excused herself. She was ready for a long hot bath and some blissful sleep. Tomorrow was going to be a big day.
“Are you sure I can’t join you? Leo asked.
*********
It was her wedding day and Stella still had not seen her wedding dress. Her, soon to be, mother in law walked into her room with a large box across her arms. When the box was opened Stella and Judith both gazed at it in silent amazement. It was the most beautiful dress either one of them had ever seen. It was made or Oriental silk and covered in white beads, and pearls. It was low enough in front to be sexy, but high enough to be proper. The bodice was form fitting and both she and Judith were surprised at how perfectly it fit. Stella looked like a princess waiting for her prince charming to carry her off.
Judith’s own dress was a silky lavender gown, with beading on the bodice and a full flowing shirt. She was to wear a hat, also in lavender and decorated with small purple flowers.
Once dressed the women all took the elevator to the ballroom. The wedding march began to play when they approached the doorway. Judith had tears in her eyes. There were flowers everywhere. There were white roses and purple “lavender” flowers on both sides of the gazebo and bouquets of them all along the red carpet
The bride’s bouquet was that of white roses while Judith’s was a mixed bouquet of Purple roses known as “Peace roses” and lavender sprigs. There was a flowing water fall behind the priest which lent a peaceful and comforting ambiance to the occasion.
The ballroom was filled with people, and more were still arriving. Judith spotted the gift table over loaded with wedding gifts. Leo was Reeds best man. As Judith walked down the aisle, she locked eyes with him totally engrossed in the attraction she felt for him.
The ceremony was traditional and no one dared answered why they should not be joined together. When it was time for the bride and groom to kiss, it was the longest, most passionate kiss anyone had seen outside a movie theatre in a long time. The music blared happily as the new Mr. and Mrs. Anderson left the chapel and entered the dining room. Leo took Judith’s arm and whispered “Now don’t you go getting any ideas, young lady.” Judith winked at him and kept walking.
After shaking hands with the bride and groom, an open bar greeted the guests as they entered the room. The band that was hired began to play various love songs and soft music which made for a soothing soundtrack to the event. There was no expense spared when it came to this wedding. Judith was sure Stella felt like a princess. “Who wouldn’t?” Judith though.
The meal consisted of filet mignon, chicken or fish, Caesars salad, asparagus plus mixed and wild rice. A bottle of champagne was at each table awaiting the toasts. Each table displayed a beautiful centerpiece of two doves in flight.
With Stella and Reed preparing for their honeymoon and the dragon delivered, there was nothing else for Judith to do, other than go home. She didn’t care to do any more sightseeing and really missed the comforts of her own home.
She boarded the Worldwide Airways plane from Sydney to Los Angeles. It was departing on time and once on board Judith opened her new book and began to read.
She glanced up from her book to see Leo sit down next to her. “What are you doing here?” she asked looking very surprised.
“Oh, didn’t Reed tell you? I have a place in Palm Beach that I visit several times a year.”
“No, he didn’t” Judith replied.
The take off went smoothly and the captain had turned off the seat belt sign once they got to the proper altitude. Judith was looking forward to the cup of tea she had ordered from the stewardess. Leo of course, had a beer.
It was several hours into the flight when Judith and the other passengers heard a loud and disturbing crash. Plates and cups fell everywhere and a scream was let out by a fight attendant.
They all watched as a man approached the flight attendant with a hypodermic needle and syringe, screaming at her to “shut up.” Leo rushed forward knocking him down and pinning him to the floor of the aircraft, while another man, an off-duty SAA pilot, assisted in getting the hijacker up and into a seat. As pandemonium erupted among the 129 passengers on board, the men handcuffed the would-be hijacker to the seat and tied him up with a belt and bowed to the applause.

The pilot of Flight 632, Tom O’Malley, called on passengers to remain calm as he prepared for landing at the Honolulu International Airport. It was closer than going back to Australia and as it was only 45 minutes away.
Once on the ground police cars drove up to the plane and boarded the plane. They escorted the “would be hijacker” to jail. The passengers again applauded the police and heroes as the hijacker was led out the door.
“Did he not think he would be stopped?” Judith asked Leo.
“This sort of thing happens all the time, love; don’t let it upset you.” He reassured her. Judith’s eye’s widened.
This time it was he who winked at Judith.
The captain came on the loudspeaker and alerted the passengers to remain in their seats as they would be re-departing shortly to continue on to Los Angeles.

Chapter Nineteen – Home at last
Judith was finally in her own apartment, not quite unpacked, she decided to settled down for a quick meditation. She turned on the small waterfall, lit some pine incense and sat down on her meditation mat.
She closed her eyes and began with the relaxation technique of tensing and releasing various body parts. She then brought herself to a peaceful place next to a trickling stream. To her surprise, Stella was sitting there waiting for her.
“Stella, I am so happy to see you” she said.
“And I, you” Stella replied. “I’m here to let you know that we can always communicate with one another by way of our meditations. We can still travel together in our minds.”
“That’s wonderful” Judith exclaimed, “Will you remember this?”
“Of course I will, in a dreamy sort of way.” Stella said. “I also wanted you to know that the curator was released and is headed back to town. I suggest that you be very careful in future dealings with him. “
“Well” Judith began “All my dealings with him are now over. And furthermore, I have no intention of crossing his path anytime in the near future.”
“Glad to hear that” Stella smiled.
Stella and Judith walked together into the Forrest. The scent of pine greeted them as they entered.
They found themselves back in the Aboriginal Village. As they walked around they were greeted by various villagers and directed to the makeshift tent where the Shaman was sitting. He motioned them to sit with him as he smoked what looked somewhat like a peace pipe. He then passed it to Judith who accepted it. She inhaled the mixture of herbs and spices and felt her head go a little woozy. She then passed it on to Stella. She too, inhaled the mixture and returned the pipe to the Shaman.
The Shaman spoke to them in English not in his native aboriginal tongue. He again thanked them for the return of the dragon and told them that they could visit any time they wanted whether in spirit or in person.
Before their eyes a shape began to take form. It was Jonquil. The Shaman greeted her and motioned she sit down with them forming a circle. She looked at Judith and said:
“I am always with you, Judith. I am your Shaman Within! I am the “you” you have yet to become. You have great power within you and you have learned to use it wisely. There is also so much more you need to learn. Your beloved friend Isabel will be there to teach you. What she cannot teach, she will lead you to those who can. You too are tied to this land, for your ancestors have been here before you and prepared your way. You will learn more in time.”
Stella and Judith stood up and said their good byes to the Shaman and Jonquil. They watched as Jonquil vanished in front of the. The Shaman, the same one they met in Australia, smiled and nodded his head in response. The two of them left the tent and walked back to their starting point. Stella took Judith’s hand.
“I must go now for our time together is over.” Stella said. “Just remember I am not far away for I am always with you”
Judith, with tears in her eyes replied. “I will always be with you as well”
Judith felt herself return to the meditation room and opened her eyes. As she stood up she stretched a bit, and then she walked into the living room. She got herself a soda and decided to sit down and watch the news before she went to the gift shop.
“…..And for some world news, our very own Maritime Museum Curator, Rex Smyth recently released from police custody in Darwin Australia has disappeared. There is talk of him searching for a priceless artifact within the outback and has not been heard from for several days. His guides lost track of him as they approached an Aboriginal village. Since it is well known that the aborigines practice cannibalism, some in the town of Darwin fear the worst. Now for the mid day traffic report we take you to our eye in the sky…” Judith turned off the TV.
“Well, I guess what goes around certainly does come around.” Judith remarked.
She walked into her bedroom preparing to change clothes when her eye went to the far corner of her room. In the corner she saw the staff she had inherited from her long line of shamans and witches who came before her. It made her feel proud to have it passed down to her. She walked over to the corner and picked it up. She looked closely at the carvings that were around it. Some looked like the same cave paintings of the Aborigines, others looked Native American. It was perfectly balanced and was made of Oak, a sacred wood in many traditions.
“What stories this staff could tell me” Judith said softly to herself.
The next morning Judith remembered that she was relieving Isabel for lunch, and helping out some in the store. “To the shop” she demanded as she picked up the staff and stomped it on floor tree times. The thuds seemed to resonate throughout her bedroom and through her body. Before her eyes she saw her bedroom disappear and the gift shop appear all around her.
“I wouldn’t do that when customers are in the store,” Isabel scolded. “You might scare them away!”
Judith’s eyes were as wide as saucers. “I don’t know how this happened” she confessed.
Isabel laughed, “Your first time, huh? I wondered how long it would take you to figure it out.”
“Can I do this to go anywhere?” Judith asked, befuddled.
“Anywhere in this world and in the other realms” Isabel replied. “But you must be precise in where you wish to go; otherwise you may find yourself falling through time and space”
“This is phenomenal” Judith spoke with exuberance.
“Had you been wearing the red jasper Jewelry which came with it, you would have been invisible to me.” Isabel continued.
“What if I decide to become visible after I get to where I’m going?” Judith asked.
“You just ‘will it’ Isabel replied. “The more you practice using it, the more you will discover its many mysteries.”
“How do you know all this stuff?” Judith asked.
Isabel smiled that knowing smile of hers and responded. “I have been traveling the realms long before you existed as a spark in your father’s eye.” She answered. “At one time I too, had a magical staff with which to travel. I have since passed it down to my daughter when she came of age.”
“That is so amazing” Judith replied.
“Now, Tap yourself back to where you came from and come back here the conventional way!”
“Yes” Judith replied. As she concentrated on where she stood in her bedroom, prior to coming her, she said “Home” and proceeded to stomp the staff three more times. She soon saw the shop disappear and her bedroom reappear.
“I wonder what else this can do” she asked herself. “I can’t wait to show Stella! Now I have two ways to keep in touch with her.”

Chapter Twenty - Two is always better than one
Judith really enjoyed taking the classes that Isabel provided. That was one of the fringe benefits of owning the shop. She also was excited because she received a phone call this morning from Stella. Everything was going extremely well “down under” and “By the way, what do you think about opening a sister store here in Australia?”
“Actually, replied Judith, “That sounds like a great idea.”
Judith told her about her new found traveling options. Unfortunately she could bring only a small amount of items with her while “orbing” back and forth.
“It would be nice if you could just orb all my supplies to me and save on shipping” Stella joked.
“Yes,” agreed Judith, “however, you keep forgetting I can afford this now, so don’t worry about the costs”
“Oh yeah, I can afford stuff too, now that I’m married to a socialite.” Stella joked.
Judith then told Stella about the missing curator.
“No one has seen or heard from him, maybe the aborigines did eat him”, Stella said “I just hope they didn’t get sick.”
“Stella, Shame on you!” Judith scolded.
Stella asked if Isabel could come to Australia for 13 weeks to conduct her Wicca Classes. Although it would be nice, Judith really didn’t want to be tied to the store. She already hired a cashier/sales person and wanted Isabel there to keep an eye on things.
“I think Isabel may be able to find you a teacher down there” Judith suggested.
“That’s probably a smarter idea”, Stella replied, “I just miss her, and you of course.” She quickly added.
Judith laughed and told Stella she had to go back to the attorney’s office this morning and sign some more papers. They said their “good byes” and “I love you’s” and quickly ended their call.
By the time Judith finally made it to the gift shop it was almost closing time. She had been running around doing all sorts of errands the day had just slipped by her. Isabel was doing some light dusting when she arrived.
Judith told the new clerk about Stella’s phone call and her sneaky idea of trying to steal “our Isabel” out from under her.
“For 13 weeks!” Judith exclaimed. She heard Isabel giggling from the back of the store.
Just as Judith thought, Isabel did know someone “down under” who could help Stella with the classes and maybe even with running a new shop. Isabel gave the woman a call, explained what they were doing and then gave Stella’s number to her so that they could get in touch.
Once she got off the telephone Judith asked her; “What do you think about bringing in paid speakers once a month to conduct a workshop? I know you have an abundance of knowledge but someone like “Standing Bear” could bring in a many more people who don’t know about us.”
“He also gives a drum making class” Isabel added “I like the idea, it gives me a break”
“Perhaps he can teach some classes on the Native American beliefs and their way of life before the white man stole their land, “ Judith began “Both the Native Americans and the Aborigines have been victimized by our greed”
“Well, the Seminole Indians here in South Florida don’t seem victimized to me,” Isabel remarked. “Have you seen some of the trucks they drive, and the casino’s they’ve built?”
“Yes I have,” Judith replied “I guess they learned to play our game pretty well and have out done us in several areas.”
“So,” continued Judith “You agree then?”
“Yes I do and I have a list of people that would be excellent guest speakers.” Isabel offered.
“I think its going to be wonderful having two shops” Judith remarked, “Maybe if all goes well we should open a third.”
“You should start practicing on your orbing techniques,” Isabel instructed “You’re going to need them!”

Chapter Twenty One – Unfinished business
It was another beautiful day in Florida. The sun was brightly shining, the air was cool and crisp, from a low pressure area which came down from the Northeast; white puffy clouds dotted the blue morning sky and the sounds of various birds chirping made for a wondrous melody.
“Nothing could ruin this day” Judith thought to herself. That is, until the curator walked into her shop.
“I thought you were dead!” Judith exclaimed
“Well, you thought wrong” he snapped. “I have a bone to pick with you Bitch!” he snarled.
“With me? Judith asked surprised. ”What are you talking about?”
“Don’t go looking all surprised.” He barked “You know exactly what I mean. You went and gave away a priceless artifact so it could be melted down and given to those savages.”
“The dragon had a much higher purpose than just sitting on a shelf” Judith explained. “It belonged to those people.”
“What do you know about higher purpose, I had a higher purpose for it too, to line my pocket, that’s what!” The Curator continued his tirade. “I already had it sold and now I have to hide out because my buyers will kill me if I don’t return the money.”
“You had no right to sell it in the first place” Judith barked back at him. “Where do you get off selling an item that belongs to me?” How can you do that?”
“It should have been part of the original collection to begin with.” He snorted. “As far as I’m concerned I’ve already paid for it and it was YOU who stole it from ME.
“You are out of your mind” Judith turned towards Isabel, “This man in out of his frigging mind!”
“This is NOT over! You’re gonna pay for this, Lady!” He growled.
“Get out of my shop,” Judith demanded “Get out of my shop, NOW before I call the police.”
“Like I said Lady” he said as he started to walk out. “You’re gonna pay for this”
Judith was pretty shaken up by this encounter. Isabel heard the whole thing from the other side of the store as did all the customers.
“You can have him arrested for threatening you” Isabel suggested.
“That’s more trouble than he’s worth!” she replied. “He’s a wacko!”
“I still think we need to call the police” Isabel insisted. “Here, I’ll do it for you”
“Thank you Isabel” Judith replied “I really appreciate you!”
“I know dear, I know”
*******************
That evening when Judith got home, she wanted nothing more than a hot bath and a meditation to take her far, far away.
The police detective who came to the shop had taken statements from anyone who was left in the store. He told Judith that there was really nothing she could do, other than take out a restraining order.
“And that only works for law biding citizens;” the detective added “which we know, of course, he is not.” The detective was attractive and seemed pretty friendly and attentive. He was about 5’8” with brown hair and eyes and had the cutest dimples Judith thought.
“Enough” she told herself “Enough!” She brought her mind back to what she was supposed to be doing. She turned off most of the lights in the apartment, turned on some music, lit some candles in the bathroom and poured herself a glass of wine. “It was bad enough that she was head over heals in “like” with Leo.
“Now this I deserve” she said taking her first sip. She shed the rest of her clothes and step into the bubble bath that was awaiting her wondering where Leo was and what he was doing.
Judith thought about doing a meditation in the tub, however she decided it wouldn’t be such a good idea. She wasn’t into that “Prune” look and also didn’t want to show up anywhere naked. Of course, if she was invisible that wouldn’t matter, but she’d have to get out of the tub to get the jewelry.
“Awww, never mind!” She told herself as she sunk deeper into the water.
When Judith got out of the tub and was towel drying her hair, she heard a knock at her front door. Her heart seemed to skip a beat and she was a little frightened as to who it could be. She looked out the peep hole and saw the detective standing outside her door. Relieved she welcomed him into her home, and apologized for her lack of formality.
“I hope you don’t mind” she said, “I just got out of the tub”
“It doesn’t bother me,” he replied, “I love seeing a half naked woman who has just come out of the bath tub.”
“Well, don’t get your hopes up” Judith scolded tightening her robe around her. “What can I help you with?”
“Actually”, the detective began, “I think I can help you”
“How so? Judith asked.
“It seems your friend the curator has made a habit of stealing artifacts and selling them on the black market.” He informed her. “The museum where he worked also discovered some items missing. They are pressing charges.”
“Oh my” Judith replied. “That’s a good thing, right?”
“Yes ma’m, it is!” He nodded as he spoke. “I just thought it would make you feel a little more at ease, after hearing that.”
“Yes, it certainly does” Judith answered. “How long will he be in?” she asked.
“Well, “The detective replied “15 years give or take for each item he stole, and he stole quite a bit, I’d say he may as well make that prison his permanent address”
“And what about the black market people?” Judith asked.
“We have an on going investigation into their activities and the curator gave us some good information trying to buy a little less time in the slammer.”
“Well, that is some really good news” Judith remarked, “I thank you so much, detective, for letting me know.”
“It was my pleasure” the detective replied as he walked out the door.

Chapter Twenty Two- Celebrating Yule
Thanksgiving had come and gone while they had been wandering around in the outback. Judith was looking forward to Christmas and the Yule Celebration they had been invited to.
“Yule is the most important holiday of the year” Isabel explained. “Everyone is familiar with the shortness of the deep winter days, but in the Scandinavian countries this is of even greater importance. At the Yuletide there is almost no sunlight at all, and the climate would have people bound in their homes waiting for the return of Spring3. “
“Yule is a long festival, traditionally held to be 12 days or more. “She continued. “After Yule the days began to get longer. The festival represented the breaking of the heart of winter and the beginning of the New Year4.”
When they got to the location of the ritual an attractive woman dressed in a green robe greeted them at the door. They were just about to begin the ritual. After cleansing the two women with sage the woman went back to her designated spot and faced north.
She began:
“To the Holly King and the Watchtowers of the North and the elements of Earth, we call upon your wisdom, summon your energy and love to witness this celebration of renewal, blessings of Yule and union of spirit!...... I Light the Northern candle!

Next, a beautiful young woman dressed in yellow faced East and called:
To the Maiden Goddess of purity and virtue, the Watchtowers of the East and the Elements of Air, we call upon your wisdom and summon your energy for clear communications to spirit, divine knowledge and understanding! ……I Light the Eastern candle!

Another woman dressed in red and facing south called out:
To the Mother Goddess of nurturing and compassion, the Watchtowers of the South and the Elements of Fire, we call upon your wisdom and summon your energy for purification of Mind, Body and Spirit for the coming New Year. We ask for your divine protection over all things that we bring forth for rebirth! I Light the Southern candle!

Lastly, an older woman dressed in blue turns to face east and calls:
To the Crone Goddess of wisdom and knowledge, the Watchtowers of the West and the Elements of Water, we call upon your energy and summon your presence for knowledge and understanding of old lessons and deeds now past!...... I Light the Western candle!

The High Priest and Priestess then called and invoked The Lord and The Lady aligning their energies and empowering them during the Ritual. Two individuals representing the Holly King and The Crone light a candle on the Yule Log for each deity summoned upon the alter.

The High Priestess stated the purpose of honoring this Yule Sabbat as well as honoring the God and Goddess of the season!

‘We have come to honor the Oak King for bringing
"Life Strength and Vitality" back into the world!

‘We have come to honor the Holly King by offering our thanks and gratitude for this year now past;
‘We give homage and thanks for the light you provided during our year of lessons and learning.
We honor you by passing gifts to others acquired from lessons of the old year.
We welcome and honor the Mother as she prepares to give birth to the new sun,
bringing in the new Light of the World and great Wisdom of the Crown goddess.

Together the circle joined in song singing “Silent Night” and then performing a Spiral Dance.
The High Priestess raised a bowl filled with seeds harvested during the fall and set aside for this festival.
“This seed represents all the virtues of the Triple Goddess, from virginity for the Maiden, to growth and abundance for the Mother and finally the harvest for the Crone.
Next the Priestess performed a blessing upon the wine and the cakes gathered for this ritual. She then holds the chalice up to her neighbor and says”
"May you never thirst”
The High Priest holds up the plate of cakes up to his neighbor and says”
"May you never hunger."
Going clockwise (called Deosil) each person in the circle is allowed to drink from the Chalice and to take a cake from the tray. After the first pass around the Circle, some of the wine and cake is given as the Libation to the Lord and The Lady!
The Priest then pours the leftover wine onto the ground, making a circle and pentagram with the liquid. The leftover cakes are then crumbled carefully over the pentagram to nurture the earth in honor of the Lord and the Lady. Any leftover cakes from the ritual are set outside for the animals and spirit folk.
A consecration ritual was then performed for all items which need to be blessed. Judith walked up to the Alter and placed her staff and jewelry upon it. She then returned to her place in the circle. Once the consecration was completed she reclaimed her items.
The High Priestess prepares a smudge stick and allows the sage and cedar to blaze for a few moments. She then says part of a blessing, then blows out the flames and allows the incense to continue to smolder. She then completes her blessing and places the incense on the Altar.
“We give homage to your birth and rising of your spiritual light. We honor your coming gifts and thank you for bringing new light onto our path.”
She then snuffs out any Candles still lit, except for the three Alter candles.
“The Sun/Son is Reborn!”
She continues:
“We spent a good deal of time asking for their assistance, calling the quarters, Our personal spirit guides and the deities, so let us be polite and spend time thanking them as well.”
The Priest and Priestess stand facing the alter.
“We thank the God and the Goddess, We Thank you for watching over and being with us -
stay if you will, go if you must, harm ye none along the way."
Each Quarter caller starting with the West and going counterclockwise (Widdershins) puts out their candle and releases their Quarter saying:
"Divine Spirits and the Watchtowers of the (west, south, east and north depending on where they were at) Thank you for watching over and being with us - stay if you will, go if you must, harm ye none along the way."
So Mote It Be!"
The Three ritual candles burning on the Yule Log are left burning during the night until they burnt out by themselves. The Priestess then physically closes the circle, asking every one to all join Hands. They all state their final parting words:
“Merry Meet and Merry Part and Merry meet again”
Afterwards they mingled with the others sharing fruit and drink and gingerbread cookies. The muscular man who represented the Oak King walked up to Judith and slowly removed his Stag headdress and mask.
“Leo! It’s you” Judith was totally surprised.
“At your service” he said smiling. “Looks like we have something in common”
“Isabel, look who’s here!”
Isabel turned and waved at him” with a big knowing smile on her face. Apparently she had seen him there before and said nothing, which of course was the proper thing to do.
“Now will you go out with me?” Leo asked.
“I suppose I chould” Judith precociously replied.
“It’s nice that you came dressed for the occasion,” Leo teased
Judith smiled as he admired Jonquil’s green robes.
“It appears to me that “YOU” were more dressed for the occasion than I” She replied.
Judith was mesmerized by his strong build. She knew he looked good, but never this good.
Leo took her hand. “Would you like to have a cup of coffee when this is over?
Judith smiled. “I think I would love that.”
Isabel walked by and as she passed the couple softly muttered “Why don’t the two of you just kiss and get it over with” and continued walking past them.

THE END (or is it the beginning?)

Stay tuned for more mystical adventures from here and beyond.


© Copyright 2007 Marine Mom (marcysheck at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1330132-Judith-and-Stella---Part-Two