*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1324650-Blessings-Chapter-Two
Rated: · Fiction · Finance · #1324650
Monique meets the attorney, and receives an unexpected inheritance
Chapter 2


I’d never seen the inside of a law office before, I’d never been to my attorney’s, we always meet in court, or in the court cafeteria. It was on the ninth floor of the Penobscot, and it took up the entire floor. I walked into the office where I was greeted by the same woman that I’d spoken to on the phone.

“Mr. Michaels is on a call right now, but you can help yourself to our little cafeteria next door, and I’ll come and get you when he’s ready.” She said with a smile.

The cafeteria seemed more like a kitchen, everything was free. There were sandwiches in a cooler, soda’s, juices, all kinds of chips, doughnuts and even a candy stand. I helped myself to a huge corned beef sandwich, a bag of sour cream and onion chips, and a cherry Pepsi. Just as I got ready to chow down, the secretary came for me.

“Mr. Michaels will see you now.” She said with a smile.

“Thank you.”

I followed her pass the front office and into a huge office where a man that looked to be my grandfather’s age sat behind a desk. She left us, closing the door behind her.

“Ms. Harvey?” he asked, standing up and extending his hand out to me. I smiled and shook it.

“Hi.”

“Please have a seat.”

I sat down in one of the chairs facing his desk.

“As I told you in the letter that I sent you, I’ve been holding onto a check in your name for almost six months. You’ve been a hard woman to track down.”

“Well I’ve moved since you sent me the letter, but I don’t understand I don’t know anybody named Abigail Murphy. Why would she leave me anything?”

He picked up a file from his desk, and opened it. “Are you familiar with Unity church?” he asked.

“Yes, it’s a church not far from my house, I was going for awhile then I stopped.”

“Well that’s where Mrs. Murphy met you.” He replied with a chuckle. “She came to see me a few weeks before she passed, which was back in April. She gave me your name and address, and asked me to add you to her will, and the amount she wanted you to have.”

“Wow,” Was all I could say.

“I’ve had to make out another check since the first one was over six months old. Would you like to have it?”

Was he crazy? Did I want to see it? Did a bear shit in the woods?

“Yes.” I said smiling.

He opened the same file, took out a check and handed it to me. I was expecting fifty or a hundred dollars at the most, especially from somebody that wasn’t related to me. But instead of fifty or a hundred, the check made out to me was for a hundred million dollars.

“Holy Shit!” I exclaimed, before I could catch myself. “Oh, sorry.” I said looking up at Mr. Michaels.

“No problem, I’ve heard worse.” He said with a smile. “Mrs. Murphy was very wealthy woman. She’d never had any children of her own, she’d outlived two husbands, the only thing she enjoyed doing is attending church, and having lunch with my family and I on Sundays.”

“I hate that I don’t remember her, I mean I feel really bad.”

“Oh no, don’t feel she wouldn’t want you to, I’m sure she saw something in you that touched her deeply. She knew she couldn’t take it with her, so she wanted to make sure it was left to those that would appreciate it.”

I swear everything felt like one of those good dreams you don’t want to wake up from. I’d never seen a check that big before, especially one with my name on it. I had just one question for Mr. Michaels.

“How do I cash this?”

“You don’t have an account anywhere?”

“No, I’ve had some experiences with bad checks and I have to pay money to a collection agency before I can open an account anywhere.”

“Let me see what I can do for you. Why don’t you join Marie out in the front, and I’ll be out shortly.”

“Okay.”

I walked back out into the front office and sat down.

“If you like you can go and finish your lunch; I’ll call you when he’s ready.”

I just nodded my head and walked back to into the cafeteria where I sat down and finally took a bite out of my sandwich. My nerves were so jumbled I could barely taste the meat even though I knew it was good. I took the check out of my back pocket where I’d put it, and examined it from front to back. It was real alright, even though I couldn’t find any reason why it wouldn’t be. I just couldn’t understand why it was left to me. Then again it dawned on me that may be this was how the good Lord was choosing to bless me.

“Ms. Harvey?”

“Yes?”

“Mr. Michaels wants you to meet him downstairs in front of the building. He has a car that you’ll be going in.”

Going where, I wanted to ask, but instead I thanked her for her help and cooperation, and walked out to the elevators. Just as the doors opened, Mr. Michaels came out walking with a cane. He’d put on his suit jacket, and resembled a little old Buddha.

“We can go down together.” He said as we got on the elevator. “I spoke with the vice president over at Chase bank over there across the street. Her father’s a good friend of mine, and she’s offered to provide you with any services you may need as a favor to me.”

“Really, even though I owe,” he stopped me by putting his hand on my arm.

“You are a worrier aren’t you? Don’t worry everything’s on the up and up. And when you’re finished with her, I’ve authorized my driver to take you wherever you want to go, for as long as you need him that is until 6:00 tonight, I haven’t driven myself in over five years I don’t think I’m going to start now.”

I laughed. “Thank you Mr. Michaels, you don’t know what a blessing this is for me.”

“No, but I’m beginning to.” He said, touching my arm again.


© Copyright 2007 Nick Valentine (monique32 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1324650-Blessings-Chapter-Two