*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1321272-Epicurean-Mausoleum
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1321272
This is playing with metaphors.
The demons are thrashing, and fluttering about. There is no controlling them now. This is the beginning of the end. In no time we will bid our farewells. Hope has abandoned us now. No time for reasoning in this selfish world we have so eagerly constructed. We will be victims of our own demise. Our souls evaporating like puddles of acid rain. Tranquility and happiness comes in the form of loneliness, and egocentrical lies.
The mouth of the beast widens to expose the razor sharp teeth, that it so helplessly tried to hide. There is no stopping this monster as it continues to devour my flesh and bones, revealing my insides for the whole world to see.
As I lay upon a bed of nails beaten and battered, a strange feeling washes over me. A strange metamorphic experience. I am unable to describe it, but it feels so familiar. It washes away the blood that has stained me. The bed of nails becomes comforting in a way. This pain I feel takes me back to the euphoria that I used to be conscious of as a child. It is so relaxing in a way I could never express with words.
Alone in the dark speaking to myself, mumbling words you and I used to share in the confines of our own counter-balance of reality. It was so new, so fresh how could we ever imagine. Then fire rained down upon my chest scorching my insides. "Was the beating not enough, must you tear away my pride as well"? I screamed at the top of my lungs. Where was this torture coming from? It was so unexpected. Hiding within the walls of such a magnificent palace.
The walls of this palace were assembled with the finest of items, items that glimmered in the sunlight. The ceiling was the backdrop for an almost breathtaking masterpiece. Pillars scaled the walls like backbones connecting every piece so flawlessly. " A facade" I thought, it had to be. The first few days inside this enormous monument went along superbly, without a hitch, some would say. Servants at my command feeding me grapes so delicious and perfectly round, catering to my every desire. Then one late afternoon I could hear thunder off in the distance. "Better buckle it down there's a storm moving in". How long would it be? I stared counting the seconds between lightning and thunder. Anytime now I can feel it in my weakening bones. " One-one thousand, two-one thousand", it's moving quick!
Then it was as if Lucifer had opened the gates of hell and let out every deformed ill bitten raiby infested goon/demon. I can remember the feelings I held that day, as all expectations were withdrawn from my mind, thoughtlessly contained in the clutches of the palace that at one time seemed so glorious.
It was deception all along. How could I enter this temple without first reading the obvious signs. I was greedy, and maybe a little curious. I had to know, a monument with this striking presence has to hold some of the worlds best kept secrets.Desires, that is what I was after. Long thought out, but never acted upon, desires.
We have reached the eye of the storm. There is only an eery feeling accompanying the silence. How long before another vicious attack? How much longer can I avoid the possesive grasp that this grief stricken palace holds?
© Copyright 2007 Matthias Truall (matthiastruall at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1321272-Epicurean-Mausoleum