*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1319653-The-Dance
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1319653
This is a short story of a tribal dance ritual.
The dance begins, a melodic tribal worship of the nature spirits. Visions creeping into the adolescents mind, similar to a shamanistic trance. Vivid memories of wrongdoings that has left him feeling somber and alone.He experiences his counterparts feelings as if they were his own. "If I would have known I could cause you this pain I would have never betrayed you mother", the boy whispers. His words flow from his mouth like the soul of a dying man, leaving his body, onward to the heavens."So much pain I have caused, how will I ever be forgiven", he wonders, as his feet begin to stomp the dry dirt in a rhythmic dance. His voice carries out upon the forest as he sings in a language not even himself understands. The fire is burning hotter than ever. The night chill has vanished, only to leave behind a warm feeling of understanding and forgiveness. He cries out to the heavens "oh thank you mother for your understanding, oh how I will never betray you again".
As the images slowly leave his mind he finds himself on his knees, gasping for the breath that he once wanted to leave forever. "The air tastes so much sweeter", he thinks as he regains consciousness. "How could I have ignored this feeling I have". "How could I live without this love in my heart"?
© Copyright 2007 Matthias Truall (matthiastruall at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1319653-The-Dance