*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1306733-Tea-Time
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #1306733
What happens when your pour too much passion into your life too fast..
TIME FLIES STUDIOS
B.W.Linton
STILL LIFE

TEA TIME

Ester came out of her kitchen into the dark living room. The only light in the room was the glow from the television and the light from Harold’s cigarette.
“Honey, Are you coming to bed soon?” She quietly asked her husband of many years. He growled an answer barely above a whisper.
“What did you say?” she said as she strained to see his face.
“Later, go to bed. I’ll get there when I get there.” His cigarette floated up and glowed an angry red color. She looked down at her feet and left the room as she had done a hundred times before.
In her empty bed, she held the pillow in her arms to ease the loneliness she felt. As the sun rose, she looked out her window at the beautiful day. Her bed was still empty and she slowly got up to see where her beloved Harold was.
Downstairs he sat, still in the same spot with the remote in one hand and his head resting on the other. She gently took a pillow from the couch and put it under his head. He moved for a moment and then settled down snoring. She went out to get the newspaper before she started breakfast.
In the kitchen, she made coffee and started the eggs for Harold. As she took the newspaper out of the plastic it was wrapped in, an ad fell to the floor.
“Come to our bazaar. Bargains galore. Today only from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Hurry to the fair grounds before all the good stuff is gone!!!!!!!!!!!”
She laughed as she read the list of things that the bazaar had to offer.
“I think I’ll check this out.” She said out loud to the empty kitchen.
“Ester” a cry came from the other room. “Where’s my breakfast? It’s Saturday and I have my list of things to do. You’re cutting into my schedule.”
“Sorry it’s almost done.” She shouted back as she started to set up his breakfast tray. It was almost 9:30. She hurried so she would get to the bazaar.
“Who knows what they have for sale,” she thought to herself, “I might find the prefect sweater or pin.” She giggled at the thought of not being stuck in the house for another entire Saturday watching sports and news on television.
“Harold,” she said as she set his breakfast tray down in front of him, “I’m going out for awhile this morning.” He waved her out of his way and pushed another button on the remote.
“So go,” he growled, “Just leave the coffee pot on the stove and I’ll help myself.”
“Okay,” she looked at her husband with hurt eyes, “Don’t you even want to know where I’m going?”
“No” he leaned forward and started to shovel the food into his mouth.
She grabbed her sweater and headed out the door. Her heart felt heavy as she drove to the bazaar. As she saw the brightly colored tents, she smiled. It was good to be out with other people even if it was only for a little while. Grocery shopping was certainly not much of a life but right now that was all she had.
From one tent to the other she wandered, as she looked at all the wonderful things people were offering to sell. She was greeted with smiles and “Have a great day.” from several of the merchants. One table quickly caught her eye.
The table was filled with exotic coins and vases. Scarves of every color were spread across the table. Teapots and bracelets of gold and silver lay on top of them. Behind the table an old gypsy woman with graying hair smiled at her
”You looked worried,” she stood up and her jewelry rattled making Ester jump. Ester tried to smile but she felt like the old gypsy was looking through her.
“You are having man problems. Right?” Ester nervously shook her head yes and looked away from the gypsy’s stare. “Don’t be ashamed. Many people have love problems and many people have asked for my help.” She smiled a toothless grin at Ester making her smile back at the old woman.
“I can help. If you let me.” Ester looked at her and saw sincerity in her eyes.
“It’s my husband,” she started slowly, “All he does is work and watch T.V. I don’t think he even knows I’m alive except when he’s hungry.” She felt the tears stream down her cheek.
“I have a lot of charms but what is it you really want?” The gypsy stared at her. Ester thought for a moment and she smiled.
“I just wish my husband would love me, love me more than anyone or anything else in the world.”
The gypsy held up a small tea ball by its chain.
“Use this and he will fall madly and passionately in love with you.”
“How much?” Ester reached into her pocketbook to get her wallet. The old gypsy waved at her to stop.
“No money. Just remember be careful what you wish for.” Ester grabbed the ball and held it close to her heart.
“Thank you. Thank you.”
“Heed my warning” the gypsy said as she watches the Ester hurry away. The words of the old woman fell on deaf ears as Ester hopped into her car.
This just has to work.” She said as she headed home.
“Please work, please work,” Ester said as she held the ball up to the kitchen window.
“Where’s dinner?” a growl came from the living room.
“Coming Dear” Ester pushed through the kitchen door with Harold’s dinner tray.
“Dinner.” She proudly announces smiling as she sets down the tray in front of Harold.
Harold motions her out of his way as he starts to shovel the food into his mouth.
“What’s this crap in the cup?” he says with a mouthful of food.
“Tea” Ester yells from the kitchen. “We ran out of coffee.”
Harold starts to slurp down the tea with a disgusted look.
“Crap, no sugar.” He grumbles as Ester takes the tray from Harold. He looks around her at the TV.
”Bring me more tea with sugar this time.” Harold yells at the closed kitchen door.
Ester rushes a cup of tea back into the living room and he grabs it out of her hand. With his free hand he waves her out of his way and she retreats back to the kitchen to clean it.
She sighs as she washes the tea ball.
“I guess it didn’t work.” She says as she turns off the kitchen light. The living room is dark as she heads to the bedroom.
As she comes out of the bathroom and heads for the bed she notices a lump on Harold’s side of the bed. She smiles as she slips into bed. As she does he puts his arm around her.
“Good night Honey,” she says as she switches off the light on her nightstand.
“Yea, Good night,” he snarls.
Ester starts breakfast for Harold early in the morning. Cheerfully she sets up the bed tray and she happily hums as she heads to the bedroom with his food.
“Good morning, sleepyhead,” she says as she comes into the room. Harold takes the tray from Ester and smiles at her.
“Thanks. Did you bring me more of that tea?”
“Right here, Honey.” Ester says pointing at the cup. He drinks it down in one gulp.
“More, please.” He says smiling at his blushing wife.
Lunchtime comes around and Harold surprises Ester by coming home from work to eat. She smiles and merrily makes him a sandwich with a glass of milk.
“Where’s my tea?” he says with a pout. Ester brings the teapot to the table and pours him a cup.
“Come here,” he says as he grabs her kissing her with a fiery passion that she had never felt before.
When Harold arrives home from work, Ester has a candlelight dinner waiting for him. In the center of the table sits the teapot. He pulls her chair out for her and bows as she sits down.
“What a beautiful spread.” He says as he reaches for the teapot. She beams at him from across the table.
“I love you.” He sweeps her into his arms and carries her to the bedroom.
The next morning Harold is in the kitchen making breakfast. He brings a bed tray to Ester. As he starts to pour the tea, she stops him.
“No tea,” she says as he looks at her with disappointment.
“I’m allergic.” She says as she reaches for Harold.
“Okay,” he says as he grabs the cup. Quickly he drinks the tea and smiles warmly. He kisses her warmly and he heads for work.
As Lunchtime rolls around, Harold dances through the door.
“Honey, I’m home. What the???” he stops dead in his tracks. “Ester what’s going on here?” He shouts as he spies a cable man working on his television.
Ester hurries out of the kitchen, surprised by the outburst.
“This is the cable man you called last week to get more channels on the television. Don’t you remember?” she blurted out quickly. She rushes to stand between the two men.
Harold in a fit of rage shakes his fist at the man.
“Get out of my house.” He screams as his face goes bright red. The guy grabs his tools and carefully steps around Harold to get to the door.
“The jobs not done.” He says weakly as he grabs the doorknob. Harold turns to face him and he quickly opens the door to leave. Just as Harold reaches for him he is out the door and running to his truck.
“What’s this all about?” Ester says baffled by the sudden outburst.
“I don’t want another man near you.” He shouts and then he grabs her by the waist wrapping his arms around his shocked wife. “I love you.”
Releasing her, he headed for the kitchen,” Must have another cup of tea.”
Ester stood there perplexed with her arms crossed staring at the kitchen door.
“Oh Honey,” Harold shouts from the kitchen, “You’ll be happy to know that I’m staying home for the rest of the day.”
“I’m going shopping.” Ester says as she grabs her purse.
“Wait for me, Beloved.” Harold hurried out of the kitchen. He grabs his coat and opens the door for his Ester.
“Ester, Darling. Come down for breakfast.” Harold had the table set with the teapot in the center. Ester glared as she sat across from him.
“Have some tea dear. You’ll feel so much better.” Harold is smiling and pushing the teapot towards her. She crosses her arms and glares harder at him.
“No” she mumbled at her husband. Harold looks perplexed by her.
“What’s the matter Honey?” Ester threw her hands up in despair.
“You made me look like a fool yesterday. Every time a man said anything to me you tried to beat him up.” Harold looked confused by what she said.
“But” he stammered.
“No buts just leave me alone.” Ester gets up and heads for the bedroom.
Harold hears the door slam and he picks up the phone.
“I won’t be in for awhile.” He tells work. “I have a family emergency.”
He hears a knock at the door and opens it. The mailman hands him a package and a pen.
“Please sign here.” He says pointing to his clipboard.
“Stay away from my Ester,” Harold punches he in the face, throws the package at him and slams and locks the door.
Appearing at the bedroom door, Harold smiles.
“Oh Honey Bunny, I took some time off so we can be together.” Ester pulls the pillow over her head and screams. Harold jumps on the bed and holds the pillow over her face. She fights to get out from under it.
“I love you and no one is ever going to have you.”
Ester wakes up with a start. She pushes the pillow off her face to the floor. She is sweaty and scared but she is alone in the bed.
She is shaking as she dresses and heads downstairs for the kitchen. Harold is sitting in his favorite chair, remote in one hand and his head on the other.
She takes the pillow from the sofa and puts it under his head.
She grabs the newspaper and heads for the kitchen. As she pulls the newspaper out of the plastic an ad falls out. With shaky hands, ester opens it.
“Come to our bazaar.”
She screams and faints.







© Copyright 2007 BWlinton (bwlinton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1306733-Tea-Time