*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1299582-A-Dangerous-Place
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1299582
story of a teen who encounters betrayal lost love and fake friends and violence
    It was the first day of school my sophomore year, but this was no ordinary first day of school. Something was going to happen, but I didn’t know what it was. I knew because I had a weird feeling in my stomach. It was butterflies and a stabbing but lingering sensation all in one. I just ignored it and went on about my business. After all it was the first day of school and I did not want to be late.

  I headed out the house on my way to school at 7:30 am. I got into my vintage 1966 Shelby mustang 350. My dad and I had just finished restoring it a month earlier. It was painted candy apple red and had white leather interior with red trim. I put diamond shaped brake lights and sixteen inch rims. We also rebuilt the motor so it now had a fully restored 302 ford motor. I started the car and let it warm up for a few minutes before I took off to school.
    On the way to school I say two of my friends J.J and Nick. They were waiting at the bus stop so I pulled over and I offered them a ride to school.  I had not seen them the entire summer because they were in New York. So the three of us used this time to catch up; because we knew that we would not have many classes together.  The reason we would not have many classes together was because I was in advanced placement classes and they were not.
  We got to school at around eight o’clock in the morning. I parked the car and we walked up to the main hall. As we approached the big wooden doors leading into the main hall I looked down and saw an envelope. I picked up the envelope and inside was five one hundred dollar bills. I didn’t think much of it because things like this happened to me all of the time. It just seemed like good luck always followed me. I put the money in my back pack and continued on my way into school. I decided that if there was an announcement about the lost money I would turn it in and if not then I would keep it.


  As I was walking through the hall I saw our basketball coach and I asked him when tryouts were. Mr. Robinson said that tryouts were would be held after school at three thirty. I was glad because I also had tryouts on Wednesday for football and I was on the wrestling team from the year before but I still had to tryout on Thursday.
  I know you have to be wondering how I could possibly manage all of this plus school. Well it was really simple actually. Basketball practice was on Monday and Wednesday before school, football practice was on Wednesday and Thursday after school. And wrestling was on Thursdays and Fridays after school. I grant you this is a lot but here is what mad it easier. From September until the first week of February was basketball and football, and wrestling was from the second week of February until the first week of May.
  After I finished talking to Mr. Robinson I went to my first period class which was A.P. Biology with Mr. Berry. I was early for class so I decided to talk to some people I knew from freshman year. Two girls Alyssa and Monica I had dated them both just dates nothing to serious. It was mutual for us to no longer date but to remain friends. The three of us talked about our summer and I told them that I had finally finished restoring my car. The girls could not believe I was done restoring the car because I started working on it at the beginning of my freshman year.
  About five minutes before first bell a new girl walked in the class I did not know. She was kind of nerdy but cute at the same time. After Alyssa Monica and I finished talking I went over to the girl to introduce myself. She ignored me and just brushed me off.
  This really bothered me I had never been turned down let alone brushed off before. I couldn’t help but wonder if I was loosing my charm. I looked at Alyssa and I asked her if I could borrow her mirror and she said yes. I looked at myself in the mirror my hair was in place my clothes were strait and there were no rips holes or stains. I gave the mirror back to Alyssa and I breathed into my hand to check if I had fresh breath I did so then what could the problem be.
  Just as I was going to try and talk to her again Mr. Berry walked in and asked us all to take a seat.  We did and Mr. Berry introduced himself and explained what we would be covering in Biology this year. Afterward Mr. Berry asked me to take attendance for him so I did. I called out the names on the attendance sheet and when I got to the Karen Swanson the new girl raised he hand. She finally acknowledged me but only to say that she was present. I thought to myself well at least I now know her name.
  After I took roll I sat down in my seat and Mr. Berry asked each of us to introduce ourselves and give a brief introduction about ourselves. The introduction included our likes, dislikes, and where we were born. When it was my turn I said “I like sports, music movies and poetry.” I said “I was born in Oakland California.” Lastly when it came to my dislikes I made sure to look at Karen give a cocky smirk and say I dislike being brushed off I know because today it happened to me for the first time today and hopefully the last time.” Karen looked right back at me she got embarrassed started to blush and turned her head the other way.
  I actually thought that it was kind of cute to be honest. Alyssa taped me on the shoulder and she passed me a note. I read the note it wasn’t nothing big just her asking if I was trying out for the basketball team and if so could she come and watch tryouts. I wrote back to her and said yes to both questions. I mean Alyssa was my best friend and truly the only one I knew I could count on without a doubt.


  While this was going on the entire class was laughing hysterically and out of control because of what I said. When the class calmed down it was Karen’s turn to talk about herself. I was glad because I was able to find out information about her. I only hoped that Karen was not as vague with her answers as I was with mine. Thankfully she wasn’t Karen was very descriptive. She said she liked country r and b and hip hop music. She also said she liked comedies, romance and horror movies. Karen said she was born and raised in Santa Cruz California and only moved to Oakland because her mom got remarried. As far as Karen’s dislikes she said that she absolutely could not stand obnoxious cocky guys.
  When she said that I knew I would have my work cut out for me. I was not obnoxious but I was cocky. I mean I was captain of the wrestling team freshman year. We made it to nationals and won. On top of that I was a strait a student and never had to work hard for anything. Everything in life just came easy to and for me. With a life like mine who wouldn’t be cock or even a little bit conceded?
  After class I tried to talk to Karen again and once again I was brushed off. When this happened I thought back to earlier in the day when I had the stabbing lingering sensation. I began to think that being brushed off was why I had that feeling.
  One thing is for sure though I was right this was not a typical first day of school at least not for me.  For that matter this was not a normal day in my life. I started to feel like my life was spiraling down hill. I was so confused. I had never in my life been brushed off, stood up, rejected, or anything of the sort. All I could do was wonder what was going on. I felt like I was living in some kind of an alternate universe.


    I headed to second period which was A. P. geometry with Ms. Howell. Class with Ms. Howell class went by very slow; I guess it was because I could not focus on anything except figuring out how to get Karen’s attention. This whole thing was really bothering me. During Ms. Howell’s class was the morning announcements. Sure enough there was no mention of the lost money, so I was going to keep it. I decided that I was going to use the money to impress Karen. A bunch of ideas came to mind one of which was to buy her flowers and candy.
  The bell rang it was the end of second period. Once in the hall I saw Karen again only this time I decided to walk past her pay her no attention and just play it cool. When I did this she had some sort of dumbfounded look on her face. My plan was starting to work because I just found out she had some interest in me. I ducked in the corner in the hall and watched her go to her locker. I instantly got the idea to write her love poems and sign them sincerely you secret admirer.
  While in third period I got the chance to sit down and write the first of five love letters. It was more poetry then anything I would say. I even had quotes in it from Edison. I told her how beautiful she was, and how since I saw her face she was all that I could think of. I finished the letter and asked to be excused to the bathroom. I used this chance to drop the note in to Karen’s locker with there being no chance of anyone seeing me.
  I got back to class and took my seat. I was very happy that I was able to get the note into Karen’s lock without being seen. The bell rang and I stood across the hall from Karen’s locker. When Karen opened her locker she immediately noticed the note. The note really made Karen smile. Karen had such a beautiful smile it seemed like there was a glow that just came over her in just a simple blink of an eye. I just wanted to let Karen know that I was the one her wrote her the note. I fought off the urge to tell her after all I had a plan that I had to follow.
  After she got the note I went to lunch. I met up with Nick and J.J.  We talked and hung out for a little bit. I found out by doing so that nick and J.J. were also going to try out for basketball. This was a great thing because all three of us were really good players and were all on our junior high team. We made a great team. With the three of us on the same team together our school would actually have a chance at going to nationals and the chance of winning would be very high. I also found out that Nick liked Alyssa and that J.J liked Monica. I had already known that the girls liked them so I just went ahead and gave them the girl’s numbers.
  The rest of the day was pretty dull up until tryouts.  The threes of us Nick J.J. and I met up at my locker and we went to practice together. Alyssa and Monica were in the gym waiting for us. They were there to cheer us on since they knew how bad we wanted it and they were good friends. Everything at tryouts went perfect none of us missed a pass or a shot. The three of us were on top of our game. Nick had four rebounds, six assists, and ten points. J.J. had seven rebounds, two assists, and eight points. I myself had ten rebounds, seven assists and twenty-four points. This tryout was the best I had ever played. I was really happy with the effort I put forward.
 

After tryouts the five of us Alyssa Monica Nick J.J and I went to get something to eat at Jack in the Box. The girls loved the way my car drove the ride was smooth I have to admit I loved it too. We all decided to go to Monica’s house since we got our food to go. I told everyone what happened to me about getting brushed off and the guys just laughed at my expense. The girls on the other hand gave me some really good advice. They said for me to use the money I found to take Karen out on a date. In order to get her to show just have her meet her secret admirer. I had to thank the girls because I don’t think I would have thought of that.
  It was about 745pm when I had decided to go home. Monica only lived about four blocks from my house so it was no time at all before I got home. When I got home I talked to my parents about my day and I tucked in my baby brother Lance it was something I liked to do. I got things ready for me to sleep in; I went to take a shower and brushed my teeth. After I was done taking a shower and brushing my teeth I sat down at my desk and did my homework. My home work took me about three hours to finish so I was done around 11:45pm. Afterwards I said goodnight to my parents and went to bed.
  The next few days were pretty much the same with some exceptions. I did not get brushed off anymore but I also did not try talking to Karen anymore. I just kept on leaving the love notes in her locker. Alyssa Monica, Nick, J.J, and I all met up for lunch each day. Also Wednesday and Thursday were tryouts for football, and wrestling. I also had two pop quizzes on in A.P. Biology on Wednesday and the other was in A.P. Geometry. Both of the quizzes were really easy. They were so easy in fact I believe I could have aced them in my sleep.
  Now Friday was really different. I began Friday with my normal routine. I woke up, took a shower, brushed my teeth, and ate breakfast. You know what you normally do before school. As I was heading out of the door to go to school my mom stopped me. My mom said she had something for me. She handed me a new cell phone and said it was because I was not slacking off and she was so proud of me.  I could not believe that it was so early and this was already turning out to be a good day for me. I thanked my mom for the cell phone gave her a hug and said bye.
  I got into the car and I went to pick everyone up at Alyssa’s house. Because we were all going to go to school together because the new sports rosters were getting posted. I was very anxious but not just because the rosters were going to be posted today, but also because today I was giving Karen the final note today. When I got to Alyssa’s house everyone was outside waiting for me I let them all in the car and we went to school.
  Once we got to school I parked the car and we all headed down to the gym to see if Nick J.J and I made the sports teams. When we got to the gym everyone was looking at me pointing and cheering and I could not help but to wonder why. I checked the rosters and I made every team I tried out for, but not only that I was made captain of the basketball and wrestling teams. I also made starting quarterback on the football team. I was overwhelmed. I knew I did well during my tryouts but I was not expecting for all of this to happen.


This was not just a good day no this was a great day. Now I thought to myself if Karen accepts the invitation to meet her secret admirer for dinner this would be a perfect day. It would be like my fondest dream coming true. Believe me I hoped it would I just knew that there was something different about Karen. I did not know what is was, but I did want to find out what it was.
  After I left the gym I headed to the main hall where Karen’s locker was at.  I made sure no one was paying attention to me and I slipped in the last of the five love letters into Karen’s locker. I went to my first period class which as you know was A.P. Biology. Karen walked into the class she sat down at her seat and began to read the note. The more Karen read the bigger her smile got which made me begin to smile.
  Mr. Berry came into class and said he had an announcement to make. He asked us to take our seats. Mr. Berry told me to remain standing so I did thinking I had done something wrong. Mr. Berry proceeded to tell the class how I made captain of the wrestling and basketball teams as well as starting quarterback for the varsity football team. The whole class went crazy everyone was congratulating me. Just then I looked over at Karen and she was just reading the letter.
  The rest of the day was kind of dull until school let out. All I could do was think about Karen and if she would show up. I sure hoped she would. I liked her but I also think my ego was bruised when she shot me down. This was going to be my last chance to impress Karen. I had to impress her because there was just something about her and also because of my ego issues.
  After school I rushed right home. I took another shower and I brushed my teeth once more. I put on a really nice silk black shirt and matching pair of black slacks. I also put on my favorite cologne obsession. I had to make tonight special and romantic. I wanted it to be as perfect as possible. I called the restaurant to make sure they had my reservations because nick made them for me.  Nick did make them and everything was in order.


  I left the house at 7:00pm because my reservations were at 8:00pm. I left so early because even with reservations Ellios has some of the longest lines that I have ever seen. I arrived at Ellios at 7:30pm and I was seated by 8:00pm.  I told the host that I was expecting someone and she would tell them that she as there to meet her secret admirer. He said that he would personally bring to the table to be seated when she arrived.
  About a half and hour had passed and there was still no sign of Karen. I was beginning to give up all hope of her showing up when all of a sudden she walked in. Karen looked so beautiful. She was wearing a red sequin evening gown with matching red heels. She had her hair pressed instead of its usual waviness. Karen was even wearing contact lenses instead of her normal black framed glasses. I must admit I felt like I was lot in a daze.
  The host brought Karen to the table to be seated and all I could do at first was just look at her and stare. Once I snapped out of it I pulled out Karen’s chair for her so she could sit down. I took my seat and we began to talk. Karen told me that she was glad that it was me that wrote the love letters to her. She just did not know how some one so popular and cocky could have such a poetic and romantic soul. I told her that not many people know that side of me only her and Alyssa. Karen said that she prefers this side of me and all I could do was smile.
  The waiter came to the table to take our order. I ordered the lobster and shrimp and Karen had the same. While we waited for our food we decided to start with a salad each. The waiter left the table and Karen and I started to talk again. We allowed ourselves to get to really know each other. The both of us were just like open books. This was great I was having a great time getting to know Karen. I found out that Karen and I had a lot in common. We both loved the same kind of music and movies. Karen also had mentioned that she loved classic cars this was perfect because if she loved classic cars she would be in love with my Shelby Mustang.
  It was about twenty-five minutes before we got our food. Dinner was great the lobster was prepared perfectly. It was smothered in butter and had a nice sweet taste to it. Karen and I continued to talk over dinner. The both of us were smiling and laughing the whole time. This was great because we got along very well.

  After Diner Karen and I decided to spend some more time together so we went out for ice cream. Since Cold Stone Ice Cream was about a block from the restaurant that's where we went. I was surprised to find out that Karen had never had Cold Stone before. We got our ice cream and went for a walk around the park across the street. Karen and I walked around the park for about thirty minutes or so. I happened to look down at my watch and I saw that it was already ten minutes until midnight. I decided since it was late it was time to take Karen home.
  I got Karen home at fifteen minutes after midnight. When we got to her house we talked a little bit longer about another fifteen minutes. When Karen decided she was ready to go in her house I leaned in for a kiss and she stopped me.
Karen said she really liked me, but she had just gotten out of a relationship about a month ago. Karen said she was not ready for another relationship. She asked me if we could just be friends. So naturally I said yes. I told her I loved the way that we got along so I would rather have her as a friend in my life then not in my life at all. I walked Karen to her door and I got back into my car. I was confused so I decided to take my time getting home.
  Since I was going to take my time getting home I took a drive to the lake. I had a lot on my mind at this point. I actually got rejected for the first time in my life. I could not believe how much it hurt. I also felt like I had gotten played and used. That did not feel too good either. I was so confused I really liked Karen and I thought that she liked me I guess that I was just wrong. I felt like such a fool. I was glad though that we decided to remain friends because like I said there was just something about Karen. She was a special person.
  I did not get home until a little after three in the morning. When I got home I had to be extremely quiet. My entire family slept really light and I did not want to wake them. When I got to my room I noticed a note on my bed telling me to call Alyssa    at anytime as soon as I got it. I called Alyssa and I told her what happened between me and Karen on the date. Alyssa got very angry and said she wanted to hurt Karen for what she did to me. I told Alyssa that there was no need for that because Karen and I were going to be friends. After Alyssa and I got off of the phone I went to bed.


  The next morning I did not get up until eleven because I did not get to sleep until almost four in the morning. I went and got on my laptop. I logged into my email and I saw that I had a message from Alyssa. She wanted to know if I wanted to go out to the movies with her. She said it would be her treat. I replied to the email and told Alyssa that I would like to go. I figured it would do me some good to get out and keep my mind off of the night before. Alyssa and I met up at the Century 25 in Union City. We saw the movie 50 first dates. It was a good movie, but it was not the best choice after what happened to me not more than about fourteen hours earlier.
  After the movie Alyssa and I went out to get something to eat at subway. Alyssa helped me through what happened. This was really what I needed. This was actually the first time that Alyssa and I had been alone just the two us since we broke up.  It was great and so was she. I needed a good friend at that particular time and Alyssa was there for me no questions asked. Friends like Alyssa did not come around that often. I knew that when you find a friend like that you keep them.
  Alyssa and I got out of Subway and we noticed Karen across the street making out with Antwon Johnson. The one person in our school who could not stand me. Antwon was Alyssa’s ex-boyfriend so we were wondering what was going on. Alyssa and I went across the street to find out what was up. When we got across the street and asked Karen why she was making out with Antwon she said that he was her boyfriend. Karen said she had been seeing Antwon for over a month.
  I was very confused at this point. Antwon then spoke up and said that they had set me up. He said that they knew I was her secret admirer. I proceeded to ask why they set me up and how they knew it was me. Antwon then reminded me that when he was with Alyssa I did the same thing leaving notes in her locker. Antwon said that’s why and how they knew.
  My blood began to boil I felt my temperature rising. I was extremely angry. Alyssa got between me and Antwon. She calmed me down which is not an easy task when I get mad. I was so glad that she was there to calm me down. If Alyssa had not been there I don’t know what I would have done. All I know is it would have been something very stupid. As Alyssa and I turned to walk away Karen called me a looser. This time it was Alyssa who lost her cool. She tackled Karen and must have hit her ten times before I was able to pull her off. Karen’s nose got broke and all that Antwon could do was look and not say anything.


Alyssa and I ran back to my car got in and I sped off. Once we got about seven or eight block away then I slowed down to the speed limit. I had thanked Alyssa for standing up for me but I also told her she did not need to. I said that it was not necessary. Alyssa said yes it was and for me to drive us to her house and she would explain why.
  It took us about twenty-five minutes to get to her house. So to kill time we put the radio on kmel. Once we got to Alyssa’s house we went to her room. I sat down on her bed and asked her to explain to me why it was necessary for her to fight Karen. Alyssa sat down next to me and said she could show me better then she could tell me. The next thing I knew Alyssa kissed me.
  I kind of jumped back I mean I was shocked and I did not know what to think. Once I collected my thoughts I asked her about her and nick. My exact words were “Wait, Why did you kiss me? I thought you were dating nick.  Alyssa’s reply was” Nick and I are only friends, we have been hanging out but that’s it.” Alyssa said she liked nick but she was in love with me. Truth be told I was in love with her too. I just did not know it until that very moment. Alyssa and I kissed once more but for longer and this time it was more meaningful.
  After Alyssa and I kissed we told each other how we felt and what we wanted. I told her I did not want to loose her friendship if things did not work out this time. Alyssa felt the same way. I also finally told her that I loved her too. The both of us were glad to be back together even though our previous breakup was mutual we discovered the reason we broke up is we both were scared. We felt like we were falling for each other to fast and to quick.
  A couple of hours passed before I decided to go home. Before I left I made sure to tell Alyssa that I loved her and I gave her a kiss. Just before I left we decided that it would be best not to tell nick until Monday at school. Alyssa walked me out to my car and gave me another kiss and then she headed back into her house.


  I got in my car and headed home. Before I could even make it home my phone rang it was Monica. As soon as I left Alyssa’s house she called Monica to tell her that we got back together. Monica was happy for us and she told me that she just knew that Alyssa and I would get back together. I got off the phone and went into my house and kind of reflected on my day. About an hour passed and there was a knock on my door. When I opened the door it was Nick and he looked very angry. I just knew Monica told him about me and Alyssa. Next thing I knew he hit me in the jaw I stumbled back and fell on the ground. Nick then leaned over me and said for me never to talk to him again that our friendship was over.
  As nick left I pulled myself up off the ground. I was shocked that he hit me. I looked in the mirror in the bathroom and saw my jaw starting to swell up and bruise.  I went upstairs to my room and I looked for my cell phone. I could not find it my baby brother got a hold of it and was using it as a teething ring.
  I got my phone and I called Alyssa to tell her what had just happened. Alyssa rushed over to my house to see if I was ok and to see how I was doing. By the time Alyssa got to my house my jaw had gotten even more swollen. Alyssa said I looked like a baby chipmunk. I could not help but laugh. I really needed to laugh it really helped me.
  The next Monday at school I saw Nick cleaning out his locker and I tried to talk to him. Nick would not have it. Nick tried to hit me again and this time the security officer saw him. When the security officer saw nick swing at me he walked up and taped nick on the shoulder. Nick turned around and hit him. Nick was instantly taken to the principal’s office and suspended for two weeks.
  I went to first period class when I walked in Karen stared at me. All I could do was laugh because of what Alyssa did to her she now had to wear a splint on her nose. Add to and insult to injury I walked right up to Alyssa and kissed her in front of the whole class. There were two reasons for this. One was because I wanted to kiss her and the other was to show Karen I no longer cared about what happened on Saturday. Being disgusted by what just happened Karen turned her head and no longer looked at Alyssa and me again.


  At lunch I ran into Antwon and he said he was going to break my nose like Alyssa did to Karen. I tried to talk my way out of fighting Antwon, but he was to hard headed to understand I did not want to hurt him and I did not want to get suspended. Antwon would not listen and he swung at me. I ducked and got out of the way. As Antwon turned around I punched him in the face and I broke his nose. Antwon swung again and this time not only did I get out of the way I pushed him into a metal pole and he got knocked unconscious.
  When Antwon regained consciousness both of us got sent to the principal’s office. As we were walking everyone was laughing at Antwon. Not one person in the entire school other than Karen liked him. At least not that I knew. The principal let me off with a warning but Antwon did not get so lucky he was suspended for five days. The principal told me the only reason I was let go with a warning was the football and basketball teams needed me.
  When I got out of the principal’s office Alyssa was waiting for me. We decided to go to the library so we could have some peace and quiet as well as be alone. About fifteen minutes passed before it was time to go to our next class. Since Alyssa’s class was right across the hall from mine I walked her to class and carried her books for her. I was glad this day was half over. I wanted to put theses fights behind me and go to our extra basketball practice. The reason we had an extra practice was our first game was the next day.
  When I got to the gym the coach asked where nick was. I told the coach that nick was suspended for hitting the security officer. When the coach herd that he said that Nick was kicked off of the team and he would tell him when he came back to school. I was happy but then I again I wasn’t. But nick did do this to himself.
  After practice I went over to Alyssa’s to study. When I got to Alyssa’s house she said she wanted to cheer me up so she rented my favorite movie Billy Madison and made some popcorn. Needless to say we watched the movie instead of studying. Just spending time with Alyssa just the two of us and relaxing really helped me.

  After the movie I got ready to go home and I went out to my car. The front wheel on the driver’s side was slashed. I couldn’t believe it I had no clue who did it but I had a couple of ideas. I thought it was either nick or Antwon but I couldn’t prove it. I went into my trunk and got my spare tire, jack, and tire iron. I jacked up the car and changed the tire. When I was done I put everything in the trunk and went back into Alyssa’s house to wash up.
  After I washed up I went got in my car and headed home. When I got home I sat down with my dad and told him what happened. My dad said he would replace the tire for me because he knew money was tight for me. I was glad because I would not have been able to get one at the time I only had forty dollars. I went to take a shower after I got done talking to my dad. I was in the shower for about half an hour and my cell phone rang. I quickly got out of the shower and answered my phone. It was Alyssa she was crying and acting hysterically.
    Alyssa calmed down and told me that some one had just thrown a brick through her front room window. I immediately felt an overwhelming amount of anger come over me. I hung up the phone got dressed and rushed over to Alyssa’s house. When I got there the cops were already there. They said that since there were no witnesses that they could not do anything.
  I saw the brick and on one side it said loser and on the other you’re dead. When I saw that I knew it was Antwon who did it. If the cops would not handle it then I would. I made sure that Alyssa was ok before I left. When I did leave I went to Antwon’s house.
  When I got to Antwon’s house I looked in his window. I could not believe what I saw. It was nick and Antwon together. They were laughing about what had happened. I was right nick did slash my tire and Antwon through the brick through Alyssa’s window. I was very angry. I was not as angry about my car as I was about what they had done to Alyssa.
  I left Antwon’s without them seeing me and I went to J.J’s house to tell him what happened. I got to J.J’s and he was out side with Monica. I told the both of them what had happened and they both were furious. After they heard what happened Monica went over to Alyssa’s and J.J and I went to Antwon’s to settle the score.


  When we got to Antwon’s we decided in order to get them to come out side we would ring the doorbell and hide on the side of the house. J.J rang the doorbell and sure enough they came outside. J.J and I snuck up behind nick and Antwon and we knocked the both of them down. J.J and I both started to kick them in the stomach and started to stomp on their arms and legs. I saw a loose brick so I picked it up and with all my force I hit Antwon in the face with it. J.J did the same to nick. We heard someone else coming so we ran and jumped the fence leading into the alleyway. J.J and I kept running for probably four blocks. We stopped to catch our breath and started to laugh about how bad we hurt nick and Antwon.
  I left my car at J.J’s so I walked with him back to his place to get my car. I told him that I was going to go back to Alyssa’s house. Since Monica was there and J.J was Alyssa’s friend he came with me. When we got to Alyssa’s house the girls were outside with Alyssa’s parents. I reached into my wallet and pulled out my last forty dollars and gave it to Alyssa’s dad. I told him it was to fix the window. At first Mr. Martinez did not want to accept the money but I insisted and would not take no for an answer.
  Alyssa’s parents went inside and the four of us Alyssa, me, Monica, and J. J stayed outside for a while and sat on Alyssa’s porch. We talked about how crazy a day this was. Not one of us could understand how nick could turn on us especially me. Nick and I had been friends since grade school. I guess that’s just the way things were supposed to be.
  J.J and I left he stayed the night at my house that night since neither of us were tired and knew we would not be able to sleep. We got back to my house and we went to my room. I let J.J check his email. There was a message from Nick. It was a picture of J.J and me with gun sights on us. To be completely honest it didn’t really bother me. I thought that they were just trying to scare us. It didn’t work.
  J.J and I didn’t sleep at all that night. The bad thing was we had school. We met the girls at Alyssa’s house to go to school. J.J and I walked up to Alyssa’s door and all of a sudden we heard a crash like breaking glass. We turned around and there were two guys in black ski masks. They just threw a Molotov cocktail into my car. They said we need to watch our backs because our lives were now in their hands and when they were ready to take our lives they would.


  Alyssa came to the door and I had her get her fire extinguisher. I grabbed it from her and I put out the fire. All of the hard work my dad and I put in to the car literally just went up in flames. I really lost my cool now I started chasing the guys in the ski masks. Luckily for them I didn’t catch them because if I did I don’t know what I would have done to them if I did, but I do know it wouldn’t have been pretty.
  All of us got a ride to school from Alyssa’s dad. Needless to say I had no choice but to explain to him what all has been going on. When I told Mr. Martinez that Antwon was the one who threw the brick through his window he started to laugh. I could not figure out why. So I asked and Mr. Martinez said that he was Antwon’s dad’s boss and because of what Antwon did his dad just lost his job.
  When Mr. Martinez said that we all started laughing and we couldn’t stop. It just goes to show you that karma does exist and it is something you don’t want to play with. After we stopped laughing I continued telling Mr. Martinez what happened. When I told him what J.J and I did to Nick and Antwon he said he was proud to have me dating his daughter. He said he was happy to hear I could and would protect his daughter.
We got to school with about five minutes to spare so J.J went to his class and Alyssa Monica and I went to ours. On the way to class Mr. Robinson stopped me and reminded me that we had our first game after school at 3:45. With everything going on I had forgot. I thanked the coach for reminding me and we went to class.
  Today we had a test in A.P. Biology and none of us had time to study with everything that had been going on. I was sure I was going to fail, but when I got the test it was a multiple choice quiz. Since I had Mr. Berry freshman year also I already knew his pattern for his quizzes. The pattern was a,b,b,a,c,a,d,a,b,b,a all the way down. I aced the quiz with flying colors it was a breeze. I was done in three minutes.
  When lunch came around I got a strange feeling like something bad was going to happen. I just brushed it off and met up with the girls and J.J that was the worst thing I could have done as I found out later. We ate lunch and hung out like normal and all of a sudden I got a page on my cell it read 187. I just ignored it.
 

  I went to my next few classes and then the final bell rang that signaled the end of school. The girls J.J and I met up at my locker and we went to the gym for the game. We had about thirty minutes to kill so we sat on the bleachers and hung out until it was game time. This game meant a lot it was against or rivals Fremont high school. We have not beaten them in six years.
  J.J took the jump ball. I got it after and passed the ball to J.J then he took it to the whole. We were first to score. J.J then stole the ball from Fremont’s point guard passed the ball to me and I took the shot at the three point line and made it. After that shot the whole game was back and forth. We would score then Fremont would score.  The game just kept going back and forth
  With ten seconds left the score was all tied up. We had the ball. I passed the ball to J.J and he took it to the whole. He saw he was not going to make it so he passed the ball back to me and I took the shot and I made it right at the buzzer. I made the winning basket.
  The girls took me and J.J out to celebrate. We decided to go to Hometown Buffet. So I borrowed my dad’s car because the restaurant was two cities away. We had a great time. We were all joking and laughing. Little did I know I would not laugh again for a long time. After diner J.J and I took the girls home. We kissed them and told them that we loved them. We left the girls at Alyssa’s house and took off.
  We were at a stop light just three blocks from J.J’s house when an all black Buick Regal pulled up on the passenger side of us. The windows rolled down on the Buick Regal and they shot off fifteen rounds into my dad’s car. J.J and I both got hit and J.J died instantly.
  I myself was in a coma for three months. When I finally came to Alyssa was the first face I saw. She stayed with me the whole time. She got put on independent study just so she could. I know she was there the whole time because my parents told me so. Just when I thought things could not get any worse I realized I could not feel my legs. I was paralyzed from the waist down. I was so scared I didn’t know what I was going to do. I felt like my life had come to an end. I asked about J.J and that’s when I found out that he died. All I could do was cry. J.J was more like a brother then a friend.

  About an hour passed and the doctor came in to talk to me. He said that unfortunately the paralysis was permanent. I would never play regular sports again let alone walk again. My parents Alyssa and I all began to cry. What made it a little bit easier is Alyssa assured me she would never leave me.
  About a week passed and I was able to go home. My parents had switched rooms with me because my original room was upstairs and theirs was not. All of our lives were going to change and be different. My parents giving me their room is only one example.
  About an hour passed and there was a knock on the door. It was a cop Detective Masterson. He said he had some questions for me about the night I got shot and J.J was murdered.  He also wanted to know about the events leading up to the shooting. I answered all of the questions for him. Just before he left he asked me if I knew who it might have been. I told him I thought that it might have been Antwon and nick. I even told him I had proof of them threatening my life.
  I had the detective follow me. I logged in to J.J’s email and printed out the message from nick with the gun sights on J.J and me. I also told the detective about the guys in the ski masks setting my car on fire and what they said to me and J.J at Alyssa’s house. The thing Detective Masterson really liked is I still had the 187 message from the same day as the shooting. He said that they could run a trace and find out who sent the message.
  About two weeks passed and Detective Masterson came back to my house this time with the A.D.A. Alexandra Hughes. They said that they thought I was right about the shooters being Antwon and Nick. The message that was sent to me was traced back to Antwon’s cell phone. Mrs. Hughes said that she wanted to prosecute Antwon and Nick but she needed me to testify and I agreed. Mrs. Hughes said right now my testimony would help but there were no guarantees because there was really no case without the murder weapons. She said that the evidence was only circumstantial.
  Detective Masterson said that the cops had already searched Nick and Antwon’s houses and school lockers, but found no weapons. I told Detective Masterson about a hiding place Nick used when we were kids. It was a bush in his back yard behind his tree house. Detective Masterson took me with him to show him where.

  The police found both of the guns in the bush. The guns were sent to forensics to be tested for finger prints and ballistics to make sure that the guns were a match to the ones used in the shooting. The ballistics were a perfect match and both Antwon’s and Nick’s finger prints were still on the guns. The police issued warrants for the arrest of Antwon and Nick.
  A week went by before the police caught nick and Antwon. Three more days went by until they were able to go in front of the judge to give their plea. Both of them were stupid enough to plea not guilty even with all of the evidence against them. The only thing that they did not know was I was still alive.
  A month passed until the trial began. Antwon and Nick must have thought that they were going to beat the case because they were grinning from ear to ear. That is until they saw me enter the court room. When they saw me their jaws dropped and they looked like they had just seen a ghost. Both Antwon and Nick had the same alibi they were at Antwon’s alone watching TV. It was completely see through.
  Two days went by until I was able to give my testimony. I gave a detailed account of the events leading up to the night J.J was murdered and I was shot. The jury looked shocked they were almost in disbelief. The fact that I was even still alive and still breathing to tell my story was a shock because I was hit five times.
  After my testimony the jury went into deliberation. They were gone for maybe ten minutes before they were found guilty. As soon as the verdict was read the guards were told to escort Antwon and Nick back to the holding cell to await sentencing.
  Nick and Antwon both attacked the guards and got their guns. They pointed the guns at me and Alyssa. Detective Masterson and his partner Detective Brown were in the court. Both Detectives ordered Nick and Antwon to drop the guns. Instead they pointed the guns at the detectives. The Detectives shot Nick and Antwon and they died right there in the court.
It’s now two and a half years later. Alyssa and I are still together going strong and are very much in love. I can’t play regular sports anymore but I am now on a wheelchair basketball league at the YMCA. Not only was I able to finish high school I was able to maintain my An average and I was the class valedictorian.
© Copyright 2007 Richard Fredrick Daniels (reddawg510 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1299582-A-Dangerous-Place