*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1294542-Her-reflection
Rated: E · Short Story · Health · #1294542
About a girl who has been under the grasps of anorexia nervosa
She was conscious of everything, her head became a calculator, she looked at every reflection available and would pinch any excess flesh on her already petite frame, cringing each time she did, feelings of digust overwhelmed her. "I must get rid of this," her determination was unwavering. Every thing that enters her system had to be fat-free/ low-fat varieties, even if it was as tasteless as skim milk or cardboard-like bran products. Gradually, the portions on her plates lessened. A strong believer of the low-carbs diet, she lived on only fruits and vegetables, feeling sapped of her energy all day. Listless and lackadaisical, but still continued to exercise like there was no tomorrow. Each step she made on the eliptical machine, each jump she made on the jump-rope, each stroke she made in the water, each stride she took, and for every calorie she lost, she took note of all the details. Before bathing, she would try to catch a view of her back. Soon, her spinal vertebrae showed, her ribcage was visibly countable, her shoulder blades and hipbones jutted out. However, she felt a sick sense of achievement. Friends and family exclaimed words of astonishment, expressed care and concern at the sight of her. But she merely shook them off, sometimes feeling the tinge of delight deep down inside her, that her efforts were paying off.She stepped on the scale and was shell-shocked at what it told her. "The scale never lies."

Then, it's effects showed. Her hair fell, her skin's radiance diminished, her period ceased and she often felt faint. The road to recovery was the hardest. Her portions increased and her parents forcefed her. Each spoonful of food forced onto her plate, was like a dagger piercing into her heart. She wept at the dinner table. It took her twice the time to gain weight.

Slowly and insidiously, the familiar protruding bones she could feel were almost non-existent, 'cept for some. Those which used to make her feel happy, yet at the same time, sad for herself. Happy and Sad, simple adjectives that carry simple emotions. Her months of self-inflicted turmoil had ended, and she learnt how to self-love and live each day to its fullest.

"Can I have more rice, please?"

© Copyright 2007 ConvexMirror (convexmirrors at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1294542-Her-reflection