*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1289759-Silent-Vows-Chapter-10
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1289759
She explores the house, and meets Kiladen.
She awoke to the wondrous smell of breakfast.  Tipper sausage, aviak eggs, and lightly toasted elven bread.  The daylight shone thru the window and settled on the portrait of Aildien above her head.  She layed there, staring for a long while.  The portrait was exquisitly done.  When the light shone down on it, it seemed to amplify the color of his eyes, and made them even more memorable. 

         She hadnt realized just how comfortable the small oak bed was, until she went to rise from it.  Instead, she decided to just lay awhile longer.  Giving the family some more time to talk before she joined them.  This was short lived however, when she heard a small knock on the door frame.  Aildien had come to wake her. 

         The way he stood in the doorway, hovering over her was almost angelic.  His hair shone once more in the light, and his eyes weren't given true justice in the portrait, she now realized.  Nothing could ever duplicate he beauty and sensitivity she saw there.  He was dressed in the same chain armor she had seen him in the past few days, but the tunic underneath had been changed, along with the leggings.  They were both now blue, to match the armor he wore overtop.  Though, not quite the same sapphire color as the small metal ringlets, you could amost tell no difference in the two. He had bathed also.  His hair was tied back into a small half-ponytail.  It no longer was let loose to hang loosely around his face.  He looked incredible.  He meekly took a step into the room, and stopped once just inside. 

"Breakfast is ready m'lady, we wish for you to join us at the table" he said, and she could tell that he was being formal with her just to tease.

"Well with such a kind and regal offer such as that, how could I refuse" she asked, teasing back.

He turned on one heel, and devilishly grinned as he left her to wake.  There was a skip in his step and that amused Naylani.  She almost believed he was pleased with her being in his bed.  She rose, and walked to the small dresser.  A mirror was placed overhead so that her reflection could be seen once more.  Alayfa must have entered as she slept and muttered the incantation once more, for she was still a high elf with golden blonde hair. She reached for a small comb that lie there, and combed the tangled mess that had become while she slept. 

She mused over what would happen that day, and made her way for the dining area thru the small hallway that lead to the living area of the home.  She counted doorways on her way thru the hallway, and noticed there were not only bedrooms in the back of the home, but one more room.  This room however, had a door instead of just a fabric curtain.  She reached to open it by turning the silver handle, but no luck.

Locked. 

         She would ask Aildien about that later as well. She slowed when she reached the other doorways and made mental notes of what the rooms contained.  She passed a room with a bed unmade, clothing lining the floor and scarcely any decorations on the walls.  There was a single flower on a small round table next to the bed.  She came to the conclusion this must be Kiladens room.  Aildien had described him as haphazard and lazy.  This room seemed to suit him well. 

         As she came to another room, she peeked her head inside.  A larger bed, a small trunk at the foot end and lots of windows.  There was something light and airy about this room.  Alayfa's touch certainly was showing. 

         She finally made her way to the table, and was properly introduced to Kiladen as Alayfa's new enchanter apprentice.  He stood, looking almost identical to Aildien, except it would seem that he had green eyes as opposed to Aildien's blue.  He was also a little shorter, and bore no armor.  Instead just a light green tunic and brown cloth leggings. His grip was firm, as they shook hands, and she took her place at the table.

         The warmth she felt emanating from Aildien was great.  He would hand her the baskets of toast, and the clay plates full of sausages and eggs.  She took her helping and passed them on down the table.  She had expected the family to eat in silence, but Kiladen was the first to speak.

"So dear brother, where have you been the past few moon falls?  Last night was the first night your bed had been slept in, and it wasn't even you doing the sleeping!" he joked.

"I had an errand to run for mother", he replied, his eyes secretly pleading with Alayfa to change the subject.  She got the message and did in fact, turn the conversation back towards Kiladen.

"Kiladen, today I need you to clean the stables, and feed the horses.  Blaze has had a rough time and may need her horseshoes replaced.  I'll need you to see the blacksmith and get some new made', she commanded.

"Mother!  I was supposed to go to the artist's shop today for lessons!", he protested.

"I am your mother, and you've been forgetting your chores as of late, I'll hear no more of this.  You will do as your told", she retorted.

"Listen to your mother, Kiladen" Maesyn added before reaching for the rich butter in the center of the table for his bread.

"Fine.  But what does Aildien have to do today?" said Kiladen, upset that his brother hadn't been given any tasks for the day.

"Aildien will be with me today.  I need his assistance in some errands I'll be running.  And its none of your concern, Kiladen.  You are still in trouble for the prank you pulled on the Whiteleaf family last week.  Did you really have to pour syrup into the pigs food trough?  Its taken him almost a week to get the stickiness off of them, and the bees to stop hovering" Maesyn replied with a scoff. 

"I thought it was quite humorous", Kiladen mumbled under his breath.  "They certainly smell better".

"Thats enough out of you child.  Finish your breakfast and be off on your way.  There's much to do and only so many hours of daylight left" Alayfa said.

         The rest of Kiladens breakfast was finished in silence.  Alayfa rose to take care of the sullied dishes in a small wash pot near the kitchen window.  Not another word was said until Kiladen left the house on his way to the blacksmiths and the horse stalls. 

"Nice to meet you Naylani, I suppose we shall have time to talk later tonight," Kiladen stated as he left the house.

         Naylani nodded in response. She was still not versed in the Feir'Dal language, and hoped that she had made the correct assumption in responding with a nod. She was pleased to have met another member of the Briarstorm family, but realized the urgency of learning their language.

"Naylani, you shall stay with Alayfa today.  Listen to her, learn from her. She'll teach you the basics of our language today.  Remember to be studious and don't give her any trouble.  We've taken on quite a chore keeping you here.  Don't make us regret that decision." Maesyn said. 

         With a nod towards Aildien they stood to leave.  Undoubtedly to start research on her past.  She was eager to hear what they would discover and urged them out the door.  Her hand on Aildiens shoulder, she said goodbye.  Perhaps her hand lingered a moment too long, for when his eyes met hers, she felt her pulse quicken once more. 

         What was this feeling that seemed to hit her with such urgency every time she looked into those eyes of his?  She dwelled on that a moment before the door closed once more, and he was gone.  She turned to Alayfa who had by now collected a somewhat massive pile of books, and they sat down at the now cleared table once more to begin her language lessons. 

         As she stumbled with the first few words, and was repeatedly corrected by Alayfa she realized this was going to be a long day.  But she was eager to learn, despite Alayfa's scolding.  Alayfa seemed to have patience with her however, and took things slowly.  First with Alayfa saying a word in Naylani's language, then repeating the like word in the Feir'Dal language.  Naylani would repeat it in the foreign language, and it was final.  Her lessons had begun. 
© Copyright 2007 Irene Douglas (natashasellner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1289759-Silent-Vows-Chapter-10