*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1289758-Silent-Vows-Chapter-9
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1289758
Lina plays find the Princess, Naylani begins her lessons.
Lina Ty'Thal was not one to be trifled with.  Captain of the Prince's armies was an honor only bestowed those who showed great dedication, and great destruction to a great many foes.  Her size was decieving, and allowed her the ability to decieve most enemies into believing she was frail and weak.  She was almost addictively beautiful.  Her eyes were black as night and her hair a silvery blue.  Though, underneath her armor it was barely visible. 

         Her blood-stained ornaments of death hung by her sides.  Her weapons of choice?  The scimitar given to her by the Dark Prince for her aid in the death of the King, and the whip the slave trainer used on her as a child, that in turn she had killed him with.  Fearless in the face of certain death, she was a skilled assassin. 

"Captain Ty'Thal, we need your assistance for a moment" begged a scantily armored Skeleton knight, in a voice so eerie it sent chills down Lina's spine.

         Reluctantly she followed.  She had no desire to play "Find the Princess" but did as she was ordered.  Norrath had many lands, and the thought of finding one Teir'Dal in its vastness gave little hope. 

"My legion will start at the extermination site and work outwards from there", she pointed to the parchment map the knight had laid before her on the large wooden table set up in the middle of a small tent city.  The tents housed hundreds if not thousands of skeleton soldiers....the heart of Morgalanth's army was ready and waiting at her command, or disposal should she see fit.

"Legions one and two will cover Ak'Anon to the Southeast,  and Legions three and four should search Dagnor's Cauldron to the Southwest." she snapped, obviously annoyed.

"I doubt the little nusiance would have gone north near The Faydark, common sense enough would keep her away from there", she mused, a slight smile graced her face before fading into a scowl. 

"We must find her, no matter how long it takes.  I will not pay the price of treason for one little necromancer who got lost in the woods."

"Yes Captain, I'll order the legions to destroy anything in their path.  Kaladim is very near to Dagnor's cauldron, shall we invade to bolster your glory to the Prince as well while we search?"

"Theres no time.  As much as I would love to have the head of a dwarf grace my trophy room, there are bigger things to worry about."  She grasped her neck for a moment remembering the Prince's cold but harsh grip, then lowered it back down to her side.

"Well what are you waiting for?  Get the legions ready, the boats wont wait long!!" she barked.  With that the skeleton army started their long journey to find the missing Teir'Dal, and Lina thought once more of the price for disobeying the prince.


         Dawn had come and the small party of four had almost reached the North lift.  Blaze had become tired, so Naylani and Aildien had decided to walk the horse the rest of the journey to Kelethin.  Naylani became even more nervous, but Aildien grasped her hand and squeezed it gently to calm her. 

         Her face tilted up and their eyes met.  The peace she found there was almost unsettling. Oh, how her body burned for him.  Betraying every bit of common sense in her head.  But, one look from those steely blue eyes and her worries eased a little.  If she were to die, she would do it in good company. 

         There were four guards at the North lift.  They appeared hungry and exhausted from their overnight shift guarding the lift.  They all wore chain armor, though not nearly as nice as Aildien's sapphire blue ring mail, and had large broadswords sheathed at their sides.  Their faces were barely visible thru the chain mail helmets, but Naylani could feel them eyeing her.  Maesyn approached them without a word and awaited the lift to return from the city high above. 

"Its been a long night, Maesyn, where have you been off to that you should return so early?," one guard asked.

"Just returned from Felwithe, and accompanying us is my niece as my wife's new apprentice" he responded.

The guards looked satisfied and allowed Naylani, Alayfa and Ailden to enter the lift once it had made its return to ground level.  Naylani, however, was becoming more worried.  She had glanced at her hand, and noticed that the once radiant creamy skin was now beginning to turn blue once more.  She hoped the guards hadn't noticed, as the lift started back up to the city.

"Maesyn!  You forgot your pack!" One of the guards shouted up to the lift, holding up Naylani's brown back pack and looking annoyed.

"I'll be right back down for it!"  he shouted to the guards that were becoming smaller and smaller the higher they rose into the city.

          It seemed almost endless and as if they were ascending into the morning sky itself.  He quickly turned to his wife; "Get her to the cottage, I shall pick up the bag.  Her transformation is already beginning to fade." 

         Alafya nodded and quickly ushered the girl off of the lift and in the direction of their home.



         When Naylani entered the small cottage perched high above the ground, her mind whirled with the wonderful things she was sensing.  She could smell freshly baked elven bread, and even more of the stew that they had feasted on. It smelled even more wonderful than it had the night before.  She could hear birds chirping and other Feir'Dal starting to wake and go about their daily routines.  But what she saw, amazed her more than anything. 

         To the right of the entrance seemed a small food area.  A stove, baskets with various fruits and vegetables littered the ground and hung from the ceilings.  There was a small fireplace that cast a cozy glow over the dining area.  In it, hung a large cast iron cauldron, and Naylani knew where the smell of stew was now coming from.  Different bottles of herbs and spices covered the shelves in the small food area, and she wished she could read them. 

         To the left of the entrance seemed to be a sitting area.  Delicate furniture carved from the most intricate wood filled the tiny space.  A rocking chair.  A small table.  A bench.  A bookshelf.  She could almost envision herself sitting on the bear skin rug in front of the fireplace and listening to Maesyn tell her stories from the great many books that lined the shelves.  Stories of wonderous battles, and true love, the damsel in distress and the fearless warrior who would be their saviors. 
         The entire house was made of wood, but seemed to be extremely strong and well-built.  It had to be to keep them warm during the winter didn't it?  Windows were cut into the outer structure of the home, but didn't seem to have any way of keeping intruders out.

"No bars," Naylani thought to herself, and then wondered why that thought had crossed her mind.

         Instead of bars, light pieces of fabric seemed to decorate the small holes, but also proved useful to keep prying eyes from looking in.  Alafya went to cover the windows with that fabric now. 

         Naylani had been so caught up in the wondrous mystery that was the Briarstorm home, she didn't notice that she had changed back into her natural form.  Her robe had returned to the crimson it had once been along with her glowing creamy skin back to the bluish grey tint it had been only hours before.  She realized once more she didn't belong here, and that risk that this family was taking by her being here would eventually prove too great. 

         But she needed to know as much as she could about her past!  This was the only way.  But in her mind, she was already beginning to plan her departure should she need to leave. She was almost positive that her flight from the home wouldn't be easy should she need to leave, but undoubtedly the plan was forming already.  Her thoughts were interrupted when Alayfa came to her with a yet another change of clothes.  A simple blue gown.  Nothing fancy about it at all.

         Alayfa lead her to a small bedroom with scarce furnishings. A small oak bed with wool blankets was in the corner.  The bed was made, and above it hung a painting of what looked to be a self portrait of Aildien.  The floor was covered with a tussah woven rug, dark brown and definately was showing some wear.  In another corner it looked as if some drawers, in a nearby dresser, had been rummaged thru and overturned. A bow decorated the wall above the dresser, with some arrows anchored nearby.  A trophy of some sort it seemed.  Or perhaps, a weapon kept handy in case of peril.

"This is Aildien's room, you can change here.  Bring out that robe of yours and Aildiens old clothes.  Your old robe will be tucked away safely.  Do not worry." Alayfa said, with a sigh before calling out a name that Naylani had not heard before. 

"Kiladen?  Are you home?" she called.  Only silence greeted her in return.

"He must be off daydreaming again.  I find that in our favor however.  Kiladen is not one that is especially skilled at keeping secrets.  I will do my best to keep your appearance transformed and will also work on a longer lasting potion.  Kiladen is not to know of your true origin, is that clear?"  Alayfa asked sternly.

"Of course.  You and your family have gone thru so much trouble already to help me.  As I told Maesyn, I will do as you wish", Naylani replied with a short curtsey. 

"Theres going to be some chores required of you.  I can't keep up with my boys, let alone another visitor.  There will also be atleast 3 hours of instruction on language with myself.  Eventually, once I have finished the transformation potion, you'll be allowed to leave our home and explore the city.  But, we cant have you running around talking in the Teir'Dal language now can we?"

Not giving her a chance to answer, Alayfa continued with her list.  Naylani nodded in agreement with everything the tall woman was saying.

"I'm also sure that Aildien and Maesyn will want to train you on your fighting skills, just in case something should happen.  Kelethin is a peaceful city, but we do have those who are...less than honorable nonetheless.  Perhaps, in time, we could also work on your magical abilities.  Maesyn informed me of your healing spell in the woods when the drake attacked.  You're sure you remember nothing else?"  Alayfa asked.

"I'm sure.  I'm not even sure how I could've possibly remembered that.  It just came out." Naylani replied, sheepishly.

"Well, no more spell casting.  We need to keep you as invisible as possible to the rest of the city.  No matter what, Naylani, no more.  When the time is right we shall re-train you.  I'm sure Maesyn is going to want to study that book you had in your belongings as well.  You have no objection to this do you?"

"None at all.  I cant even read it myself.  I would be very greatful to understand what it contains".

"Very well. I'm sure you could use some rest.  You may sleep here in Aildien's room until we find proper sleeping arrangements for you." Alayfa said, and with that she turned to leave, with Naylani's crimson robe in hand. 

         She stopped at the door, and once more muttered the enchantment that would change her into a beautiful high elf.  Then left the room and closed the small curtain in the doorway to give her privacy.

"Instruction?  Training?" Naylani thought. 

         She had no clue they were willing to re-teach her the things she had forgotten.  She supposed that was Alayfa's way of making herself more comfortable with the situation.  Aildien and Maesyn had both informed her of her kinds' history.  Perhaps Alayfa was going to teach her the ways of the Feir'Dal. 

         Naylani was comfortable with this, and within seconds heard Maesyn and Aildien enter the home and start talking in the small living space of the home.  She listened for awhile, but eventually fell asleep.  Thoughts of her next few days filled her head, and for the first time since she had awoken with no memory in the caves...she dreamt.
© Copyright 2007 Irene Douglas (natashasellner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1289758-Silent-Vows-Chapter-9