*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1289755-Silent-Vows-Chapter-6
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1289755
The small party is attacked by a drake, Aildien starts feeling something.
Bright stars were beginning to dot the sky when she awoke. The night air had surprisingly chilled her. She could still make out the sun. It shone brightly in the horizon, pinkish orange. Aildien had still not returned.

“What could be taking him so long,” she said to herself.

         Even in his clothes she began to get cold. She decided it would be safe for her to change back into the crimson robe, which was now dry. She stepped onto the rock on the shore once more, to rinse the sleep from her eyes, then returned to the mirror fragment that lay at her feet.

         The scabs were gone and for once her skin was smooth. It was impeccable, not a scar to be found. In fact, it almost radiated. She stared at her reflection in the mirror for a few more minutes, gazing into her own eyes and trying to remember anything she could. Nothing helped. Knowing that Aildien would arrive any time now, she packed her belongings.

         A sudden noise startled her, a twig snapping. She grabbed her bag and hid in the underbrush, fearing the worst, but expecting it to be Aildien.

“Naylani…” said a whispered voice. Her heart skipped a beat at the sound of Aildien’s husky voice, and she clumsily found her way out of the dying bushes.

“I’m over here” she replied, trying not to sound too enthusiastic.

         Appearing in front of them, she bowed before the man she didn’t recognize, but assumed was Aildien’s father. He stood taller than Aildien, and seemed to tower over her.  His long white hair clung to a face that seemed etched from stone.  His features were toned and his jaw was set as he placed a hand on her forehead and spoke.

“While I do not agree with my son bringing you here, its too late to turn back now. I am Maesyn, Aildien’s father, and there is no need for such formalities.” He said sternly, and allowed her to stand once more.

         Beside him, Aildien’s mind was playing tricks on him. This couldn’t be Naylani. It sounded like her, but it couldn’t be her. The woman standing before him was…young and well, beautiful. When he had left Naylani not more than half a day earlier, she had been a wreck, and he could’ve sworn was much older than he.

But those eyes!

         This had to of been Naylani, she was the only person he’d ever met with eyes that glowed silvery-white in the darkness. Now that her wounds had healed and she had bathed, he couldn’t take his eyes off of her. His mind tugged at him, reminding him that she was not of their kind. But there was no ignoring his heart, and his thoughts were quickly overruled by the quickening of his pulse and the bulge that was beginning to stir in his leggings. Examining her further, he noticed that her hair had not been grey as he had guessed earlier, but was blacker than the night sky over Kelethin. It hung to right below her shoulders and shone like the stars. Her lips were the color of fresh roses, and were smooth. She was no longer suffering the effects of dehydration it would seem.  For a moment, Aildien actually lost himself to the sensation of it as he imagined removing their clothes and exploring her curves more fully.  And much more intimately.

         He closed his eyes at the thought of running his tongue over her breast, of toying with the swollen nipple while she buried her hands in his hair.  The robe was now brighter too, since it had been washed. He couldn’t help but notice now how it fit her so well, and he turned his face before she caught him blushing. Such a pity really, that they could never be together because of their heritage.  But then, he was used to being told he had to sacrifice his own desires for the betterment of the city.  He went to her side as his father continued to speak.

“Now the question is, what do you want with us?”

“Father, I already told you, she remembers nothing.” Aildien replied, an annoyed look on his face.

Naylani placed a hand on his arm, and this hushed him. She could tell by the way he set his jaw that he was growing frustrated with his father, and this would do nothing to help the situation.

“It is ok Aildien. I’m assuming you didn’t have much time to tell him everything?”

“No, I didn’t have the time to explain and make it back here before nightfall” he said, looking into her eyes again and becoming entranced for a moment.

         Against his iron will, his body stirred viciously in response to her.  The need rose in him to taste those full, parted lips as he spread her thighs wide and buried himself deep inside her.  Oh yes, he could savor this woman.  All of her.  He pulled back slightly to steady himself.  Naylani returned her gaze to meet Maesyn.

“Then perhaps, we should sit. I will explain everything I remember.” She directed this towards Maesyn, in hopes he would take the offer and possibly ease his tense disposition.

         He stood unmoving, scratched his snowy-white beard and seemed to ponder the idea for a moment. He turned to Aildien once more.

“Your mother will not like this. Will not like this at all. However, I fear I need to know everything before deciding our next course of action. We will stay. Aildien! Get some flint from my pack, and prepare a fire. No reason we should sit hungry. I brought along some of your mothers stew. It should warm us enough to withstand this cool night air a few hours more.”

         Pleased that his father was being rational, he turned to do his fathers’ bidding. Once the fire was lit, they sat down and Naylani began telling her tale once more.

         Hours passed as the three talked. Maesyn’s mood seemed to lighten and Naylani was pleased by this. They had even enjoyed a few laughs during her tale, and Maesyn had almost smiled once. The lightness of the situation didn’t last long however, when Maesyn’s ears perked to a nearby disturbance.

“Quickly, you two, hide!”

“Father, what do you he..”

         Ailden never got the chance to finish his sentence, when he saw what his father was referring to. He barreled at Naylani and knocked her down behind the foliage she had changed behind previously.  The twigs scratched her arms and legs, but the feeling of Aildien's arms around her aroused a need in her so intense, she almost ripped his clothes from his body right then and there. To run her hands over his toned and muscular stomach, and to kiss those full, inviting lips.  However, the look on his face revealed the urgency and fear he felt because of the creature invading their small camp. 

         In that split second, he had saved her life once more. For not a moment later the thing his father had heard, swooped low, narrowly missing clawing Naylani's scalp from her skull.  It was winged, and had a beak the length of its entire body. Covered in black fur, you would’ve almost thought it a bat.  As it turned to continue its assault on them, it’s sharp talons grasped towards Maesyn’s throat and missed by little. Naylani and Aildien watched from behind the bush. Maesyn would surely call out to Aildien if he needed his assistance.

         Another dive from the large beast, and Maesyn lunged towards his own pack. He pulled a small vial from it, something Aildien had never seen before, and drank it down in one swift movement. The ground shook, blue light pulsed from the being that stood before Aildien. The light was almost blinding, and Naylani shielded her eyes. When her gaze returned to the scene, Maesyn was no longer in sight. Instead, another being had arrived in his place.

         Aildien looked confused. He had seen it, but could not bring himself to understand what he saw.  His father, in the midst of the blue light, had transformed. He was now on all fours, and had fur the color of Naylani’s eyes. Aildien turned away, and when he looked a second time, realized his mind had not been playing tricks on him. His father, now a ravenous killer, with sharp fangs, and deadly claws... his father was now a silver wolf.

         Hunched back and ready to attack, Maesyn Briarstorm waited for the right moment to leap. Even he knew that a ground dweller had little chance against a flying attack. However, this form would give him an edge. He had no weapons with him, he had not thought to pack any. He now had all the weapons he could possibly need, in the form of sharp talons and razor-edged fangs.

         The bird-like creature made another pass, and this time, caught the tip of Maesyn’s ear with its claw. Maesyn howled in pain as he was carried four or five feet by his ear until the cartilage gave way to the weight of his body.  Blood poured from his ear as he hit the ground with a sickening thud.  But the drake's  attack only fueled his fury. He made a swipe at the drake again as it continued its passings like a vulture hovering over a dead animal.

         Maesyn decided he had no choice. His son had never seen him use his magic before, but the drake wouldn’t come close enough for him to end the attack.  Muttering words that Aildien could not understand, Maesyn began his spell. It didn’t take long to realize what had happened. The drake had been slain, but Aildien stood in shock when he replayed the last moments in his mind. It all happened so quickly, but it was clear in Aildien’s mind that his father was truly more powerful than he had ever imagined. The drake had been burnt to a crisp, and had fell to the ground quickly once the flames had engulfed it.  Maesyn had seemed to pull a ball of fire from his paws as he stood on his hind legs.  His accuracy was astounding, and the drake had fallen to the earth.  Not without a price however, and Aildien ran to his father’s side.

         Maesyn was still a wolf, and lying on his side. It seemed to take much out of him to cast such spells. They did not go easy on a man’s being.

“Father!” Aildien shouted as he leapt from his hiding spot behind the brush and to the form that was his father.

“I am alright Aildien” Maesyn said painstakingly. “However, my ear shall take a while to recover, the drake did a job on it.”

         Aildien ran to his bags and grabbed some bandages. He started tending to his father and Naylani came rushing to his side. Seeing the hurt in Aildien’s eyes as he bandaged the ear, sparked something in Naylani as well. She was fuming in anger at the sight of him hurt. Before she realized what she was doing, she was standing over Maesyn.

“Ah tura rea lavintis” she said, as she waved her hand over Maesyn’s gushing ear.

The ear began to reform instantly, the blood seemed to seep back into place, and the skin closed tightly behind it.  There was not even a scar to show for the wound that had been there seconds before.

“Naylani! How did you do that?!” Aildien screamed at her, unbelieving, he stared at his fathers ear unharmed and in perfect condition.

“I…” she started, confused and stuttering at what she had just done.

“I…don’t know.”
© Copyright 2007 Irene Douglas (natashasellner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1289755-Silent-Vows-Chapter-6