*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1289752-Silent-Vows-Chapter-5
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1289752
He introduces her to his father, they are all attacked.
She could hear water. Her feet felt well enough to walk again, so she dismounted Blaze and walked the horse the rest of the way. The horse looked grateful; its journey as well had been long.


"Aildien?" she prompted him.


"Yes Naylani?"


"Why are you taking me here? I thought we were returning to Kelethin?" she asked him, confused that they were standing at a huge waterfall.


"I have to leave you here, Naylani. You see, not all of my people will be as kind to you as I was. Many have grudges against the Feir'Dal and would not hesitate to decorate their blades with Feir'Dal blood. Your people have a long history with us, unfortunately. Because of that, you would hardly be welcomed with open arms. I'm going to fetch my father."


Don't worry" he added that last part as he saw her face fill with terror and fear at the mention of bringing someone else back.


"But, Aildien…what if "she sighed. "What if you he doesn't understand? I've had one sword drawn on me already."


"I assure you, mistress, all will be alright. Just stay here, clean yourself up, and wash your gown".


"Here…" he said as he tossed her a spare change of clothing he had brought with him. "You can change into this while you do. Tunare forbid that someone discovers you here, and that gown of yours isn't hard to see. This will conceal you well enough until my return. I'll be back before sunset. I promise you this, Naylani. Trust me alright?" he encouraged her.


"After what has happened the past few days, Aildien, I do trust you although I'm not entirely sure why" she whispered.


With that, he kissed her hand and smiled. "It'll be alright Naylani, my father will know what to do" he said confidently. Taking Blaze's reins in his hands, he rode away off into the forest and she was alone once more.


Finding foliage high enough for her to change behind, she quickly shed the suit covered garmet. She took the crimson robe and the tattered rags she was wearing earlier and walked down to a spot on the shore where she could easily clean them without falling in. The grass was high here, and soft. She loved the feeling of it on her skin. Wanting to see how horrible she looked, she returned to her pack to retrieve the mirror. Although it had shattered, she found a large enough piece to get a good view of herself. Suit covered her face, and cobwebs streaked her hair. Her facial wounds had cleared up some, but the scabs looked horrible. She turned her attention to her arm, and the gash that had once been there. It was gone! There wasn't even a scar.


"Amazing. Aildien was right, we do heal quickly!" she said out loud.


It was no doubt her clothing needed washed, but she did also! She jumped into the cool water and almost fainted at how wonderful it felt. It was undoubtedly the most refreshing feeling she had felt since she awoke at Aildien's camp. She was able to find some Tint rock on the shore, and washed her hair. It took a considerable amount of time to do so for it seemed the cobwebs layered her hair almost an inch thick. The Tint rock bubbled in her hands as she washed the rest of the suit and ash from her body.


The sun was directly overhead. "It must be noon" she thought to herself.


Sunset was a long ways off, but she had plenty to think about to occupy her time. Finished with her bathing, she clothed herself once more. Aildien had left some more tipper meat with her, enough to suffice her until his return. She filled the flask with water, and hung her robes to dry on some nearby bushes. She clothed herself in the tunic and leggings Aildien had left, although much too big for her small frail body. Warmer and comfortably dressed, she found a nice smooth rock to sit on, and again she brought out her pack.


The book.


What did it say? She flipped thru the pages but became frustrated after about an hour of looking at the foreign symbols. Giving up she replaced the book to the pack and turned her gaze to the falls.


They were beautiful. So many shades of blue, and white. She loved how the water frothed at the bottom of the falls, and for a moment she felt peace. Her worries over her ordeals had vanished. This didn't last long however, but while it did, she was exhilarated.


Her mind wandered to Aildien. He was quite handsome, even if he was so serious most of the time. He had kissed her! The thought sprang to her attention as she remembered his smile, and his promise to her.


"Ok Naylani, stop dreaming. You looked terrible, and he was probably just doing it to make you feel better about him leaving" she thought to herself. "And besides, he was holding a sword to your throat not even a day ago threatening to end your life!"


But she still couldn't keep herself from thinking about him. His smile was genuine, had the kiss been also? Was she falling for him? Or did she just think she was because she didn't know anyone else? Either way, she decided, he's turning out to be a great friend. She loved how he joked with her, and tried to make her feel better. He had even given her a name. It was sweet in a way.


Her mind started racing with thoughts of what he had told her about her people's past.


"Are we really evil?"


She couldn't imagine doing any of the things Aildien had told her the Feir'Dal were known for. Then again, she had no memory of who she was at all, it could be possible. He had also told her that the Feir'Dal were not capable of feeling compassion, or love. Then what did she feel for Aildien? She started questioning her own motives then.


"No, don't do this. You hardly know anything about yourself. Don't start wondering now what you did or could've done in the past, or you'll drive yourself insane!" she thought.


She decided it best not to think about it anymore, she would learn when the time was right. Instead, her thoughts returned to Aildien's eyes, and how she couldn't wait for his return. She thought of him while she lay on the grass, staring at the clouds above, and she fell asleep.




Blaze was sweating profusely when he arrived in Kelethin. He would bathe her later to keep her from catching cold. The guards had been welcoming, when he arrived at the lifts to ascend into Kelethin. He was grateful for that, but right now, he had more important things to worry about. He tied up Blaze outside of their house, and ran thru the front door. Immediately, he was confronted by his mother.


"Aildien Briarstorm! Where have you been? I've been worried sick! You were supposed to return last night with the blight root. What took you so long?" she shouted at him. He was sure the neighbors could hear her.


"Mother, I don't have time to talk now…where is father?" he said hurriedly.


"What do you mean you don't have time to talk to your mother? You had best have sound reasoning for not returning home last night, or you can be sure you'll be cleaning the stables for the next fifty seasons!" she threatened him, as any worried mother would.


"I promise I'll tell you everything, but NOT NOW! I have to find father, its urgent! Now, where is he?" he pleaded with her to answer and to drop the issue of his whereabouts.


The look of fear on his face must've scared her, she sighed. Wiping her hands on her apron, she nodded towards the library. "Where else would he be?" she shrugged.


His father spent many hours at the library, always researching. Maesyn Briarstorm was a druid, but had long retired his powers. He still possessed them, but never used them in front of his children. His belief was that his children should grow up learning the value of hard work before learning the complexity of magic. It had worked for a while. He now spent most of his time researching new spells. Aildien thought him very wise, and needed his direction immediately.


Aildien stormed into the library, throwing back the large oak doors as he entered and thanked Tunare that his father was the only one there. It would be much easier to have a private conversation with him.


"Father, I need to speak with you!" he pleaded.


"Not now, Aildien! I've almost completed this writ for the new summoning spell!"


"Father, you don't understand. I need to speak with you NOW!" he said, as he closed the book his father was pouring over.


"Aildien, how dare you interrupt my research! You know how important this spell will be if I complete it. It will mean no more winters living in harsh cold…" he started, when Aildien interrupted him.


"Father, I found a Teir'Dal! Now listen to me!"


"You WHAT? Where is it? Is it here? How many are with it? The Council must be warned, the guards put on alert! Where there is one, there are certain to be more!" his father barreled questions at him, without giving him time to respond.


"Father, listen to me. She is no threat to us. She needs our help. Somehow, she has lost her memory and has no recollection of who she is, where she is from, or how she got here. I found her in the caverns of Steamfont. She was nearly dead, and alone. I've managed to nourish her back to health a bit, and she can speak" he countered, speaking too fast for his father to interrupt him.


"Aildien? Where is she? You must take me to her now."


"No" he threatened his father, which was normally a risky thing to do. "Not until you swear she wont be harmed! And you vow to tell no one of her existence. I have made this promise to her, I will not go back on my word!"


His father seemed impressed. His son was becoming a man, and he recognized this. He chuckled a bit then said "You made a promise to a Feir'Dal? How foolish of you. Alas, it is your word, and I will not have you break it. Take me to her, I promise she wont be harmed. We'll leave right away, but you better make up a pretty amazing story to calm your mother. I could hear her from here!"


"I will father, but we have to be quick. I vowed to return by sunset, and Tunare bless us that she is not found before we return!" he said, almost pleading with the goddess of Nature that she was safe.


His father left the library swiftly to pack some necessities he was certain he would need for the journey. Aildien did the same after apologizing profusely to his mother, Aliafya, whose expression had softened when he hugged her. He felt bad for lying to his mother, but couldn't possibly tell her what was going on. She just wouldn't understand right now. He made up a story about being attacked by a tipper as large as a horse, and having to hide out in the forest overnight to keep from being eaten by the large predator. This seemed to satisfy her.


"At least you weren't hurt" she said, as she hugged him back, and a tear came to her eyes. "I worry about you Aildien. Sometimes you think you are much stronger than you are. Your spirit is wild, and you must learn to control it if you wish to achieve your full potential"


"I know, mother, I will" he was rushing now. He was used to his mother spouting off comments of wisdom at him.


"Ever the teacher", he thought.


The sun had already started to fall in the sky, and it wouldn't be long before nightfall. Aildien became worried and hastened his pace.


He returned to his room, and looked around for the supplies he would need. He packed a spare tunic, another pair of leggings, and an old pair of boots that no longer fit him. He believed they would fit her small frame, even if they weren't something a female would wear. Anything he could think of that could disguise her if his father thought to return her to the city.


He overturned his drawers looking for anything small enough to fit her. When he reached the third drawer, a dagger fell from it. He stopped, in his frenzied attempts to be quick, and stared at the dagger for a moment. It reminded him of his childhood. This was the first weapon his father had bestowed him with. It was dull now, but still sharp enough to inflict a mortal wound should it be nessecary. It's handle was made of hardened maple, and he'd recently sanded it to make it smooth once more. He remembered his father's words—


"Aildien, first you must learn to master the small things, and use your head. Only then can you truly find yourself and master the art of the Ranger".


Was it really that long ago that he had used this dagger? It felt like only last season to him. He smiled and took the dagger into his waist pack. It would make a nice gift for Naylani.


He heard his father call for him from the foyer, and he quickly packed the rest of his supplies. They were leaving; he only hoped it wasn't too late.

© Copyright 2007 Irene Douglas (natashasellner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1289752-Silent-Vows-Chapter-5