*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1289751-Silent-Vows-Chapter-4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1289751
Aildien and Naylani start their journey together.
He sat by the stream that ran by his camp. The fire had long ago burnt out and he needed to collect more water. She had fallen asleep at his request so she could regain more of her strength. He had told her they would be leaving camp today. His thoughts, although, were troubled. If he didn't return home, surely his parents would send a search party to look for him. If he returned, and had a Feir'Dal with him, they would surely slay her on sight. Some of his people were not as kind as he. If they sent a search party for him, he would undoubtedly have to conceal her, which would be difficult. He had found her easily enough; he didn't doubt his kind would sense her as well.


He had reached his decision when he returned to camp and found her asleep. She looked almost childlike with innocence and he realized the only way to help her would be to take her to The Ancient. She also had a beauty about her. She appeared many years his senior, but that bothered him little. Her wounds were healing incredibly fast, but that was no surprise as all elves had superb healing abilities. A gift, granted to them by Tunare. The robe she wore, which was now suit ridden troubled him. The mark she bore on the back of the garment was the most disturbing. "The mark of the necromancer" he thought with a slight cringe. But he had made up his mind. There was no changing it. They would leave at sunrise.


He had left Blaze, his steed, some way from the camp the previous eve. Should he be overcome by bandits and robbed, he did not want his horse obtained as well. She was beautiful and a gift from The Council upon his completion of the ranger trials. He had done exceptionally well and was rewarded as such. She had hair the color of snow, and a body that looked of golden wheat. His mark had been painted to her side, although it was hardly needed. Everyone in Kelethin knew she belonged to Aildien, and he loved her dearly.


He thought it best to let the woman ride. Her feet were still very much mangled from her walks in the cave. She rode in silence for the first hour or so. Probably still pondering over what she had learned last night. There was sadness in her eyes. He decided to make conversation, when he realized he didn't even know her name. He doubted she remembered either.


"Woman. I hate calling you that. Do you remember your name?"


"No I don't, but I believe it may have something to do with this locket" she held the trinket out for him to examine.


He was disgusted by it when he first saw it, but took it from her all the same. It intrigued him for a moment, because Teir'Dal never adorned themselves with jewelry unless they were members of the Council.


"N" he said questioningly, turning the locket over in his hands. "Well if you do not remember your name, perhaps we should think of one for you."


"I wouldn't know where to begin" she replied, seemingly depressed. The loss of her memory apparently was troubling her deeply, and he could sense this.


"Well how about I give you one?"


She didn't look up, instead she rode in silence.


"I've got it!" he said confidently. Naylani. That is what I shall call you. Would you like to know what it means?" he asked eagerly, trying to change her demeanor.


She appeared intrigued and for a moment, almost smiled.


"That sounds like a lovely name Aildien. But, I already know its meaning", she replied. "Quite obvious aren't we? It means The Lost."


"Well it does seem to suit you in your current predicament" he half-heartedly giggled.


She smiled. For the first time since he had met her. Her eyes seemed to sparkle a bit when she did. It warmed Aildien to know he was comforting her, even in the slightest.


"I shall let you call me whatever you like, Sir Aildien. For anything is better than Woman!" she giggled.


"Well 'Tripper food' did cross my mind for a moment. Those caves were infested with the vermin" he replied, playfully.


She remembered the animal remains that lined the caverns, and realized that must've been what had infested the caves. Her only question was, what had killed them all? She realized Aildien was looking at her then, and decided to playfully jab at him.


"Leave it to a man to think himself great for rescuing the damsel in distress" she joked.


"Well I could've left you there, or had my way with you while you slept, young mistress"


"Who would've wanted anything with me in my condition? I look terrible. My robes are dirty, my body busted and broken. But, I guess I should commend you on that as well. Most men would not have shown me the kindness you did, Aildien." She said sincerely.


"Well, My My My was that a thank you?" he looked at her once again. This time she was looking back, and seemingly answered his question without uttering a word.


There was something about the way she was looking at him. Was she playing with him, trying her trickery on a brand new toy? He wondered. But those thoughts quickly vanished when he looked into her eyes. There was a fire and strength that burned inside her, there was no doubt. But behind that fire and fury, he saw kindness. It was hard to recognize had you not been searching for it. But he could defiantly sense it about her. She was not like the other Feir'Dal he had met in his time.

"Perhaps" he thought, "Just perhaps, all is not lost in her. Perhaps we can teach her to grow, and to use her powers for good."


The thought suddenly crossed his mind that she didn't seem to remember having any powers. Despite the spell book he had found earlier amongst her belongings. Why hadn't she summoned herself water? All elven casters could do so. It was a simple spell and required no regents to cast. Had she forgotten even the simplest of spells that could've saved her life? It appeared as such, and all of his previous thoughts of her telling him lies about her memory vanished. He told himself that he would never doubt her again.


They would reach Kelethin in a little under an hour, he presumed. They were not far now, they had just passed the large rock he had placed in the middle of the path as a marker. The trees around them seemed to sing, and he knew once again, he was home. Only the trees in the outskirts of Kelethin would call out to the Teir'Dal, and only the Teir'Dal could hear them. He thought again of how he would conceal her into the city. There were guards at every entrance and there was no way they would not see her as he took her into the land of the wood elves.


For you see, their city was not like the other cities. They lived amongst the trees, and high in them. They had learned simple mechanics from the neighboring city of the gnomes in return for enough fruit and vegetables to get the small race thru the winter. With this knowledge they lifted their great city into the tops of the trees. They used lifts to hoist themselves as well. The lifts were well guarded; almost always there were two if not three guards stationed there at all times. And rightly so, for it was the only way into the city of the wood elves.


All of these thoughts crossed his mind. He came to a conclusion suddenly. He would conceal her in the forest, and fetch his father. He would surely know what to do. Besides, even if he did manage to hide her well enough and sneak her into the city, his mother's screams would surely be heard throughout the entire forest when she laid eyes on Naylani. He would sit down with his father, Maesyn, and tell him everything he knew. Only then, having his father's full understanding and solemn vow that he will not harm her, would he take him to her.


Luckily for him, he spent a considerable amount of time in the forest as a child. He knew exactly where he would take her. The waterfall would hide her scent and any noise she could possibly make. She could clean herself up and wash her clothing as well. As a child, he thought the waterfall his own. He thought no one could possibly have found the water hitting the rocks below as entrancing as he did. But as he aged, that dream faded. However, no one came to the waterfall near as much now. Since Morgalanth had sworn death to any who dared take water from it.


He was stubborn. He did not give easily into threats. He had traveled to the falls many times and had never even seen any of Morgalanth's minions there. He felt it safe to leave her there. Even if today were different, and Morgalanth did decide to visit the falls, they wouldn't harm one of their own kind. Not without receiving some benefit. It would be safe.


They continued their journey making idle chit-chat. Ribbing each other and even laughing at each others witty comments on occasion. Her thoughts of the situation troubled her, although she did not as of yet, know why.

© Copyright 2007 Irene Douglas (natashasellner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1289751-Silent-Vows-Chapter-4