*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1286203-We-The-People
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Letter/Memo · Other · #1286203
"Instead of continuously stopping to think, we should continuously try thinking to stop."
  It is understood by most Americans that our country does hold many positive attibutes.  Although, is it seen by those same citizens--the horrific, underlying realities taking place daily? 

  Our country is known for a certain abundance of wealth.  An estimated $9.5 billion dollars is generated in annual revenue from sex trafficking activities, with at least $4 billion attributed to the worldwide brothel industry.  In other words, that leaves the other $5.5 billion dollars in the hands of U.S. citizens.  Between 50 and 60 percent of these children being trafficked are under the age of 16.  Are we as a country willing to wager existing lives of those children to uphold our social status?

  Global warming is another issue popularly dismissed by most Americans.  The warmest global temperatures have occured within the last 15 years.  What is this saying about our effort when scientists have been repeatedly warning us for the past 30 years?

  To those out there wanting to improve the way we live as Americans,here is a quote to get you going. "Instead of continuously stopping to think, we should continuously try thinking to stop."

We the people are walking billboards for the hypocrisy of a nation.  If the other side of the wall knew the half of our lazy idolization we would not be put on such a pedestal that so many of us choose to ignore.  Does anyone agree with such a comment?  Personally, I believe the time has long since past to "pitch in" as the nation we honestly claim to be.
© Copyright 2007 Overthinker*Rach (rachelperk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1286203-We-The-People